ADVERTISEMENT

Arlington by way of Ames? Oklahoma State's road to Big 12 title game

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

She Said, He Said: Arlington by way of Ames? Oklahoma State's road to Big 12 title game​

Jenni CarlsonBerry Tramel
Oklahoman

OSU just keeps winning. The Cowboys have an unbeaten record and a top-10 ranking after winning at Texas last week. That was OSU's third consecutive win against a top-25 team. But big as that victory over the Longhorns was, the Cowboys may have an even bigger opportunity this week at Iowa State.

Is OSU playing for a trip to the Big 12 title game this weekend in Ames?

Berry: Absolutely. With a win, the Cowboys would be 4-0 in the Big 12, with victories over four of the six best teams in the conference — K-State, Baylor, Texas and Iowa State. That means tiebreakers over all of them, and all but Baylor would have two losses already. That means even if OSU loses to OU and is upset along the way, the only thing that could keep them out of Arlington is if Baylor wins out.

Jenni: I understand all the particulars, and yet, I'm still hesitant to say this is a play-in game for OSU. Why? Because there have been so many seasons where we get to the mid-way point and say, "If this happens now, everything is figured out." And something always seems to happen to scuttle that. Does winning make it easier for OSU to get to Arlington? Absolutely. But it's not a done deal. Seems nothing ever is in college football.

Berry: The difference, to me, is the frontloaded schedule. After Saturday, OSU still gets to play Kansas, West Virginia, TCU and Texas Tech. That quartet might not finish 7-8-9-10 in some order, but it certainly looks that way right now. That foursome is 0-8 against the rest of the Big 12. The schedule is set up for the Cowboys, provided they beat Iowa State.

Jenni: Saying stuff like that really gets my hopes up. How fun would it be to see OSU in Arlington? Especially considering OU has become a near shoo-in to be there, too. My only concern is OSU's tendency for close games. Yes, the Cowboys have won them all to this point this season. But man, that seems a dangerous way to live. Maybe it's the only way to live when you lean heavily on the run game and the defense. But will the close-call luck run out?

Berry: I agree. Continually playing close games is potential disaster. Close games can be coin flips. Sometimes, a veteran quarterback or a great kicker means teams are more equipped to win close games. But mostly, close games are 50-50. OSU needs to start winning in more commanding fashion, else the winning streak will end.

Jenni: Speaking of streaks, OSU has won eight of its last nine games against Iowa State. Ten of its last 12. Now, some of those games, the Cyclones haven't been all that good, but even as they've risen toward the top of the Big 12 under Matt Campbell, the Cowboys have continued to be successful. I like their chances of continued success this weekend in Ames, no matter what that means down the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News