ADVERTISEMENT

Any of you have anything in the 9mm MAK?

SquatchinPoke

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2021
Just got a new to me pistol in this caliber. I with my grandpa who passed this Sunday when he bought it here in Oklahoma in the 90's. Its just a PA-63 but all serial numbers match and he has the leather case. Think I might make this one my side arm in the woods. Anyone have any comments on the caliber?

I have no experience with the 9 MAK (aka 9x18 is from the early cold war Soviet Union/Russia) but enjoyed reading about it. It's NOT at all compatible with the 9mm Luger aka 9x19 parabellum . The Luger is ballistically superior in every way. The rounds even use slightly different diameter bullets, different cases and case lengths and capacities. The makarov round you have is primarily found only in 95 gr. bullets. (I did see where Hornady makes the 9 MAK in it's Critical Defense line, though most ammo you find are just FMJ rounds.) I think it's cool that you have the pistol and can enjoy it for the meaning it has for you. It's a rare bird in the States. Sounds like a collector's piece.
(But I wouldn't go bear hunting with it. :cool: )

Last edited:
Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Now I am love my 357 mag and that gun is heavy so I can really shoot accurate with that S&W but 9mm lug IMO is my favorite pistol round. I wish my CC Kimber was in that instead of 45.

Thank you I love Hornady will see if I can pull that off. I love grandpa's guns but damn time has killed the ammo that goes with them.

I also got a 30-40 Winchester lever action. (might have the caliber wrong but you have to reload they don't make the round anymore)

I just gave up carrying my 300 savage that my grandpa got from his dad carrying as my deer gun because I bought a new scoop and don't have enough rounds to sight it in and then kill something. I guess Hornady does a run every couple years so fingers crossed I can buy a case next time they run it. I love their round in 300 savage for deer.

I’ve got a pistol in 9mm Makarov. Model P64, it’s a Polish gun, think eastern bloc PPK to visualize what it feels like, I’m sure y’all can search up some photos. Mine is 1972 year model, bought it from Classic Firearms a few years back. It’s a little 6 round single stack bastard with one hellacious slide bite if you have big hands like mine, so I have to be careful when shooting and grip low. They were known to be pretty snappy, and I bought a Wolff spring kit to tune it up a bit. Also installed some wood grips made by a gentleman who specializes in making grips, he lives in Budapest and his site is Marschalgrips.com.

I also have a 7.62x25 Tokarev pistol, mine is a Yugo model M57. Then moving further back in the safe, a model 7.62x38 Nagant revolver, Russian from 1913. Very interesting and unusual round, can actually be suppressed which is funny for a revolver, due to the cartridge configuration and cyclinder movement during firing that produces a forward movement of the cylinder to the forcing cone allowing for a tight seal and higher pressure in the case, thereby increasing the velocity for what is a fairly low powder charge round.

In short, I dig the more obscure ammo and guns of those countries. Who says gun guys don’t have culture?

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Episode 7 Movie GIF by Star Wars

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT