ADVERTISEMENT

After Lyrik Rawls 'sat back' to develop, he's ready to shine for Oklahoma State safeties

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

After Lyrik Rawls 'sat back' to develop, he's ready to shine for Oklahoma State safeties​

Jacob Unruh
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Thinking back to the last football game he played more than eight months ago, Oklahoma State safety Lyrik Rawls laughed.

Even in a Guaranteed Rate Bowl loss to Wisconsin, Rawls’ big moment had arrived. And he quite enjoyed it.

He had five tackles, a strip sack and a pass breakup in the most action of his career.

So, he smiled and laughed at the thought of how that could boost him in the future.

“I feel like that gave me (a chance) to see how it’s gonna be for this season,” he said.

Rawls, a redshirt sophomore, predicts big things this fall.

With the Cowboys nearing the beginning of the season against Central Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 2, confidence is rising in a young, unproven group of safeties in a new-look defense hoping to step up.

Gone are stalwarts Jason Taylor II, Kolby Harvell-Peel and Tre Sterling.

a8106f82-d2d0-49da-86e8-aa84c138a3be-OSU-27.jpg

Here are Rawls, star Kendal Daniels and Trey Rucker.

“I sat back my first couple of years,” Rawls said, “playing under Kolby and Jason just picking up some game from them and now putting it to my game. And actually being able to be one of the older dudes on the team, now I can put those attributes in to help the team.”

Rawls, Daniels and Rucker arrived on campus together. Now, the trio will be the starting safeties in OSU’s new 3-3-5 defense.

Daniels, a Beggs product, is coming off a break-out season in which he was named the Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year while making five starts and playing in all 13 games. He’s playing rover, a critical position in new defensive coordinator Bryan Nardo’s system. That will allow Daniels’ 6-foot-4 frame to wreak havoc in multiple ways.

Rucker, a former Wake Forest transfer, redshirted last season but played in the bowl game. He had a huge night, offering a glimpse of his talent.

But it was Rawls who really seized his opportunity.

The Jefferson, Texas, native forced the turnover in the second half against Wisconsin. He also had a breakup at the line of scrimmage on a crucial third down play late in the fourth quarter.

Rawls used that play to become more of a leader in the coming months.

“It’s been a big difference, just being from one of the guys in the back and now I’m in the front,” Rawls said. “Now, I gotta lead by example.”

It certainly helps having familiar faces around him.

Five of the safeties joined the program in 2021. Muskogee graduate Ty Williams and Raymond Gay II are also projected to see significant time as reserves.

Rawls was particularly impressed by Williams this offseason.

“He’s going to be a guy that gets in a lot and makes some plays for himself,” Rawls said.

But also for the group.

The common belief is that the safeties are as close as ever, particularly with their bond of growing together in the program.

And a strong bowl performance only aided that.

"We're about to have some fun back there,” Rucker said. “Me, K.D., Lyrik Rawls. We've got a group of special guys back there and we're ready to show the world what we got."

547a46eb-f166-4ac2-b881-da9a60b55ca7-_MGL0566.jpg

Oklahoma State safeties depth chart​

Name, Class, Ht., Wt., Hometown (Previous school)

The starters

• Kendal Daniels, RSo., 6-4, 213, Beggs
  • Trey Rucker, RSr., 6-0, 207, Waldorf, Maryland (Wake Forest)
  • Lyrik Rawls, RSo., 6-1, 212, Jefferson, Texas

The reserves

• Ty Williams, RSo., 6-0, 200, Muskogee
  • Nick Session, RJr., 6-0, 193, Gardena, California
  • Raymond Gay II, RSo., 5-10, 180, Red Oak, Texas
  • Lardarius Webb Jr., Jr., 5-10, 175, Opelika, Alabama (Jones College)
  • Kam Franklin, Fr., 6-2, 190, Oak Grove, Louisiana
  • Tywon Wray Jr., Fr., 6-2, 185, Smyrna, Georgia

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News