ADVERTISEMENT

Advise please

Ostatedchi

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2002
So I'm looking for my first, for lack of a better term, AR platform rifle. I can't really justify a 223 caliber since I can't really do much with it other than plink targets. I don't think it is much of a hunting caliber. I have a Parker Hale 30-06 for larger hunting so justifying a 308 caliber seems redundant. So I was looking at the 6.8 round as an intermediate between the two. Kind of a hog hunter weapon.

Specifically I was looking at the LWRC SIX8 A5, 16'' barrel length. I think I'd prefer a piston driven as opposed to a direct gas impingement method since they run cleaner.

I'm asking for opinions from more knowledgeable folks than me. Thoughts on that caliber and model?

Oh, and if you like it, what kind of optics would you suggest?

LWRC-SIX8Razorback-AR15Hunter-SHOT-Show-2015-500x203.jpg

That's a good setup and you can't really poke many holes in it. Good hog gun, readily available ammo in 6.8, and even though I've never shot one, I've read for a piston gun they are the best. As a matter of fact I just built an AR in .308 and I'm having some short stroke problems due to gas port.

I like the 6.5 in Creedmoor and Grendel better, but that's really preference.

For what it's worth, Oklahoma is one of the states you can shoot deer with a .22 centerfire making a .223 legal for big game there.

As far as optics, is it going to be shooting distance or close up (inside 300 yards)?

I got a Daniel Defense Ambush in 6.8 last year and topped it off with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6. It's a sweet gun. I love it. Light enough to carry all day if I'm hunting in a coyote tourney or just out hog/deer hunting. I really like the scope. Since its a 1x6, its limited on distance, but the 6 power is plenty good enough out to 250, but where i hunt my shots are much shorter than that, so i like that i can throw it down to 1 or 2 power and use it basically like a red dot since it has an illuminated reticle. It comes stock with a 2 stage Geissele trigger and a threaded barrel.

Chi, you have a Parker Hale 30.06? I have one as well. Mine is a JC Penney branded Parker Hale. Still has the original JCP 4x scope lol. I shoot tennis balls at 100 yards with it, kicks like a mule but it' accurate if I do my part...

Thanks for the info guys. It makes me feel much better about my choice after doing a ton of research.

And yes Rulz. The Parker Hale 30.06 is my grandfather's gun that I got from my dad. Single shot mauser action. Not a single scratch on it. Kicks like a damned mule. I have an old 12X scope on it. Could probably really sight it in with some new glass.

I'll report back when I get it in. It'll be a few weeks. It takes a while to order. And a $2,400 is no small purchase. Plus optics. Probably pushing 3K. That's a lot for a single firearm.

Thanks for the info guys. It makes me feel much better about my choice after doing a ton of research.

And yes Rulz. The Parker Hale 30.06 is my grandfather's gun that I got from my dad. Single shot mauser action. Not a single scratch on it. Kicks like a damned mule. I have an old 12X scope on it. Could probably really sight it in with some new glass.

I'll report back when I get it in. It'll be a few weeks. It takes a while to order. And a $2,400 is no small purchase. Plus optics. Probably pushing 3K. That's a lot for a single firearm.

It is a lot, but also know you can just as easily double that number with very, very little effort, especially if you were to ever get into more customized platforms and higher end optics. I've got a scope that costs what your entire rig runs.

It's easy to get out of control on this stuff.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
Damn, a 3K scope? You looking to shoot prairie dogs from 1200 yards?

Damn, a 3K scope? You looking to shoot prairie dogs from 1200 yards?

Ha

Yeah, it's really not so much about distance as light and clarity. Also, I get the opportunity to test gear and when I'm done I can get it at waaay under retail pricing. In this instance it is a Zeiss Victory HT and it retails just under $3K.

Frankly, the majority of my hunting glass is just north of $500, I've only got two scopes in the plus $3K range retail.

If you're patient, you can get great deals on Camofire.com for some really nice Zeiss optics every once in a while.

After all the research and advice, I am getting an LWRC 6.8 A5 16 inch, Geissele SSA-E trigger upgrade, with a Primary Arms 5x Compact Prism Hunting Scope w/ ACSS Reticle and a Vortex Venom 1x red dot mounted on top. Add in a few extra Pmags and it tops off at a cool 3 grand.

After all the research and advice, I am getting an LWRC 6.8 A5 16 inch, Geissele SSA-E trigger upgrade, with a Primary Arms 5x Compact Prism Hunting Scope w/ ACSS Reticle and a Vortex Venom 1x red dot mounted on top. Add in a few extra Pmags and it tops off at a cool 3 grand.

Nice set up.

Hear good things about 6.8. Good set up for sure.

My Daniel Defense 6.8 has a Geissele 2 stage in it. Very smooth triggers.

As for bullets, I've been shooting Hornady V-Max and BTHP's. Both are very accurate. I don't like the VMAX as a hunting bullet though. I shot a couple of hogs with them and had no exit, very little blood, and had to shoot them a couple of times to get them down. I bought a few boxes of the SST 120gr, but I haven't had a chance to use those yet.

Nice looking rifle. The trigger will make everything that much nicer. Should be a great set up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT