ADVERTISEMENT

A partial primer on the "new" Big12 wrestling conference

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
1. Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK ranked 6th by wrestestat. Seven new recruits to add to this Big 12 champion's larder including Nick Piccinni #7 at 125, Kaid Brock #9 overall at 132, Boo Lewallen #41,Tristan Moran #119 and Lincoln Olson at 66 in the top 150 by Flo all at 141. Joe Smith at #16 in the top 150 at 157, Jordan Dierenger NR aT 184, Andrew Marsden #65 overall at 197. Returning All-Americans include #7 Eddie Klimara at 125,Dean Heil 4th at 141, Antghony Collica ranked #8 at 149, Alex Dierenger #1 and 2X NCAA champion at 165, Kyle Crutchmer ranked #3 at 174 and a reurning AA, Nolan Boyd at 184 ranked #14 in the pre-season with a 24-9 record last year, and Austin Marsden ranked #4 and an All-American from two years ago. Nickname is "Cowboys" and enrollment in Stillwater 23,500.

2. Iowa State University ranked #10 by wrestlestats and features ranked recruits in Markus Simmons #31 in top 150,and other recruits including Chase Straw and Brandon Aviles at 157, Dan Kelly at 149,Colston DiBlasi at 165, Joe Teague at 184 and two freshman heavyweights in Andrew Stowe and Alex Silberstein. The Cyclones return Kyle Larson at 125, Earl Hall 2x AA and ranked 3rd at start of this next year , Dante Rodriguez with a 19-10 record at 141, Gabe Moreno who was outstanding for the clones last year is indefinitely suspended for an OWI in July but if he returns he brings a 26-7 record and Big 12 2nd to the lineup.Tanner Weatherman is a senior and had a 23-10 record last year and pre-season ranked #8 at 174. Lelund Weatherspoon is pre-season ranked #19 and had a 18-7 record last year at 184. Marcus Harrington at 197 redshirted last year and had a 16-5 record and ranked #22 by wrestlestat. Quean Smith was 13-13 last year at heavyweight andranked #30 by wrestlestat. Iowa State is 546 miles and 8 hrs, 19 min. from Stillwater and student enrollment is 34,934. They had a 11-2 record last year and finished 2nd to the Cowboys in the Big 12. They are coached by Kevin Jackson.
3. Wyoming is ranked in the pre-season by Wrestlestat at #23. They are coached by former cowboy Mark Branch who is ably assisted by former cowboy Ethan Kyle and they just added Teyon Ware to their staff.
They were 11-4 last year and finished 34th in the NCAA. They are nicknamed the Cowboys. Student enrollment is 14,000 approx. and they are locatedin Laramie Wyoming, a distance of 781 miles from Stillwater and 11 hours,52 minutes away.
4. Oklahoma :University in Norman,Oklahoma is ranked #28 in the preseason by wrestlestat. They had a good recruiting year which featured Dylan Lucas at 133, ranked 63 in the top 150 seniors, Davion Jeffries ranked #57at 149, Nosomy Pozo who is the defending NJCAA champion at 149#, Hayden Hansen of Norman North at 174. The Sooners return Ryan Milhof at 125 who had a 16-13 record as a freshman and is ranked pre-season #36. However, they picked up Sean DeShazer ranked #38 in the top 150 at 125 pounds.
They return NCAA defending champion Cody Brewer at 133 pounds and he is pre-season ranked #1.
Returning starter at 165 is Clark Glass who was 19-14 last year and ranked #17 by wrestlestat. Matt Reed is the returning starter at 174 with a 26-13 record last year and ranked j#24 by wrestlestate. Brad Johnson is the returning starter at197 with a 15-10 record but might be pushed by Andrew Dixon who was 12-16 his freshman year. Ross Larsen at 285 is the returning starter with a 24-8 record last year and ranked #17 by wrestlestat. Student enrollment is 30,303 and they are approximately 75 miles from Stillwater.
5. North Dakota State University is located at Fargo, ND and is 845 miles and 133 hours from Stillwater.
The "Bison" had a 9-4 record last year and are coached by Roger Kish with Manny Rivera and Derek St. John as the assistants. They have a 12,000 student enrollment. They had a total of 9 recruits this year and they were ranked #25 in recruiting for this year. Recruits include David Flynn and Nico Colunga at 133, Andrew Fogarty ranked #89 in the top 150 freshman at 165, Carter Nielsen at 174, Tyler Harrington at 184, Cordell Eaton at 197 and 3 freshman heavyweights in Dan Stribal, Rylee Streifel and Vincent Feola.
Wrestlestate ranks them at #33 preseason.
6. South Dakota State Ranked #37 preseason by Wrestlestat the "Jackrabbits" had a 11-8 record last year. They are located in Brookings,S.Dak which is 659 miles and 10hours,10 minutes from Stillwater. They are coached by Chris Bono who is assisted by Jon Reader. They have a student enrollment of about 13,000.
They recruited 7 new wrestlers including 3 at 125 in Anthony Cefolo #78 in the top 150, Cameron Sykora #139 in that poll and Henry Pohlmeyer. At 133 they recruited Louie Sanders and at 157 Lucas Eastman. At 165 they recruited two ranked wrestlers in Brett Bye and Kasey Klapprodt and at 197 they recruited Caleb Ward.
7. West Virginia Things are probably looking up for #39 ranked West Virginia with new coach Sammie Henson assisted by Danny Felix and Nick Marable. The "mountaineers had a 9-9 record last year and were last in the Big 12. However among the recruits they signed are Devin Brown who was wrestler of the year in Pennsylvania and had a 171-10 HS record and 3 PA state championships. They also recruited JD Gregory and Jonathan Ragsdale at 125. At 133 they signed Matthew Scmitt from Mo. who was a Missouri state champion and just placed 6th at Fargo. They recruited the Moore brothers Keegan and Zachary at 141 and 149 and Keegan was second at Fargo and Zachary inj def. for 6th. They also signed Patrick Duggan and Ryan Lopez at 149 and Dustin Gray at 174. The "Mountaineers" are located in Morgantown, WV and that is 1086 miles and approx. 17 hours from Stillwater. They have a student enrollment of 22,759.
8. Utah Valley is ranked at #53 pre-season by wrestlestat. "Wolverines" are located in Orem, Utah which is 1184 miles and 18 hrs, 8min from Stillwater. They are coached by Greg Williams and he is assisted by Associate head coach Erkin Tadzhimetov and Ethan Lofthouse is an assistant and Luke Lofthouse is vol. assistant. They were2-9 last year. In recruiting this year they signed Johnny Hearon at 149, Kieffer Taylor at 174. Student enrollment is over 30,000 on several Utah campuses. They return Chasen Tolbert at 125 ranked #16 by wrestlestat, and he was 17-8 last year. At 133 they return Jade Rauser which wrestlestat ranks #12 with a 22-9 record last year. Brayden Humphries returns at 149 and he was 13-4 last year.
At157 Raider Lofthouse was a redshirt freshman and had a 5-3 record. Dustin Dennison returns at 285 with a 14-6 record last year.
#9. Air Force The Falcons were 1-6 last year in duals. They add 8 signees to last year's squad. They are coached by Sam Barber. The school is located in Colorado Springs and is 629 miles and 7hrs,46min from Stillwater. Recruits are Justin Becci at 125, Josh Giorfgio and Adam Wilmer at 133, Josh Mossing, Alexandre Lopouchanski, and Frederick Padilla at 157. Beau Billingsley at 174 and Hunter Brown at 184 round out the signees. They are ranked #57 in the country by wrestlestat.
10. #66 Northern Colorado rounds out the ten teams and they are coached by Troy Nickerson and he is assisted by Hunter Lane. The "Bears" are located in Greeley,Colorado which is 684 miles and 10 hours, 37 min from Stillwater. (I can attest to that as my non-wrestling son graduated from there.) 5 recruits were signed and they include Trenton Watson at 125, Richard Montoya at 133, Sean Cannon at 141, Jacob Seely at 197 who is highly ranked and Devin RFothfrock at 285. The "Bears" had a 5-6 record last year. They have a student enrollment of 12,084.

NOTE; This information was compiled by me from various sites including Flowrestling, wrestlestat,the websites for all ten teams and others. I am responsible for all errors in rankings, spellings, etc and as always I expect some.

Remind me not to ever ride with Oberebo if he drives to Colorado Springs in less than 8 hours.

For us I hope Chandler Rogers can gain some good weight and beat out Nolan Boyd at 184. He wrestled up this summer and lost to one of the brothers who went to Arizona State. He looked small but could put on some good weight before wrestling season. I was looking at the Orange power forum for wrestling threads and someone mentioned a hwt from Italy could come here. Anyone hear anything about this? We need a good HWT to replace Marsden after this year. Joe Smith seems to keep improving and I suspect after a redshirt year he will be some 157lber. This summer it seemed like Kaid Brock had horrible first periods and then came on in the second but he needs to start better. The Minnesota kid seems to own him and he finds ways to lose to him. Still have high hopes for him and the rest of this recruiting class.

Hwt Rilee Striefel was a Fargo runner up last week and is attending Minnesota, not NDSU, this fall.

Hwt Rilee Striefel was a Fargo runner up last week and is attending Minnesota, not NDSU, this fall.
You are correct Papa Bear but I believe this was a change as wrestlestats shows him committed to North Dakota State. He did first commit to NDSU but changed his mind and will now wrestle 285 for the Gophers. He lost in the 220 pound finals at Fargo to Jordan Wood on a 10-0 tf.

Last edited:
Wow!! Awesome amount of info. A few add-ons: Seth Gross transferred to SDSU, Keilan Torres transferred to Northern Colorado, one recruit missing from WVU is Conner Flynn who I believe was a Flonats champ and defeated Manville. Someone I haven't heard about was a UVU 2014 recruit, Roy Nash, he was number 1 at 195 or 220 at one point. Did he go on a mission?
Thanks for all the info!

Pretty sure Nikko Reyes has also committed to transfer to Northern Colorado from Illinois.
Also OU is getting a transfer from one of the Iowa JCs, Freddie Rodriguez was the NJCAA national champ at 125.
Speaking of NJCAA champs, has anyone heard Jacobe Smiths plans?

Good writeup oberebo. Hopefully within the next week I'll get the preseason rankings released which will give a more accurate picture of the Team rankings.

Also, whenever the release happens, logged-in users will be able to "transfer" wrestlers themselves, without having to wait for me to do it manually, which was a pain in the ass.

Good writeup oberebo. Hopefully within the next week I'll get the preseason rankings released which will give a more accurate picture of the Team rankings.

Also, whenever the release happens, logged-in users will be able to "transfer" wrestlers themselves, without having to wait for me to do it manually, which was a pain in the ass.
Prospects for Northern Colorado appear to be looking up as Illinois wrestler, Nikko Reyes has left the Illini and will be wrestling for Northern Colorado. Jered Cortez their highly prized recruit and heir apparent to Delgado is also transferring and speculation is that he may also end up at Northern Colorado. Some speculation also that the reason for the transfer is that he can no longer make 125 and will be going up to 133.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT