ADVERTISEMENT

34 and counting

Old Number Nine

Starter
Jan 20, 2005
34 and counting: THE gathering place for all fans of John Smith's dominant wrestling program, which will shoot for five national titles in a row in 2007.

Can we push someone for a title change of this thread? This name has become somewhat of an embarrassment in my opinion. It's not the "34" part but the "and counting" and the part about "2007" is ridiculous.

I’ve read on other sites that OSU has 34 NC’s but what have they done lately? I guess we could consider the 21st century, “Lately”. In the 21st century OSU and Iowa have won each 1.82% with 4 of the championships, Minn (3) has won 1.36%, OhioSt (1) 0.45% and PSU a ridiculous 4.55% with 10.

If we extrapolate those percentages over time ,PSU will tie use with 50 in the year 2110 (that’s 87 years) at which time Iowa will have 40, Minn 15 and OhSt 5.

So maybe it could be called something like "34 National Championships; Catch us if you can (in 2110)", or (in 87 years).

I’m not a mathematician, I just plugged the numbers in a spreadsheet so hopefully this is not wrong by much. eg. 22 championships this century, PSU 10/22, OSU-ISU 4/22…

I totally agree, change the title!!

Well not to the "catch us ..." how about something like Oklahoma State Wrestling or Cowboys on the Mat, etc. There are plenty of better options.

I suggested this a while back and nearly everybody was against me. Honoring the past is still important to mods

To me changing the name is like sticking your head in the sand. Kind of like the Cowboy twitter account recently changing its tag from "dynasty defined" to "home of wrestling". Maybe they were getting too many ancient dynasty comments.

We haven't won in a long time obviously. Our longest drought without a team title is 17 years. We'll match that this year if (when) we don't win. Next year would (will) set a new record.

Maybe the name needs more visibility so the administration/coaches/donors realize that changes are needed. Maybe we need some people to get pissed off.

Need to start winning conference titles again while we’re talking about nattys.

So, 53 and Counting? 😉 😊
I am afraid it is 34 and stuck right now. We have the 2023 recruiting class coming but right now I am unsure if there is a young wrestler in the room redshirting that has shown they will be a real good wrestler. Jordan Williams is our best hope( really needs to jump a level this off season) but the open spot is 157 and he was not impressive at 149 this year. Zac Blankenship is another but he will need to stay healthy and rebuild his size and especially strength in the offseason. He would need to jump a level or 2. Our lineup next year could be 125=Wittcraft sen., 133= Fix sen., 141= Alvarez sen., 149=Voinovich soph, 157=Williams Fr, 165=Melcher soph or hopefully a transfer, 174 Plott jun, 184=Wittlake sen, 197 Surber jun and HWT= Doucette jun. But the good news would be having a bunch of redshirting freshmen hopefully looking to be stars of the future.

Some fundraising campaign names to raise awareness, create enthusiasm & build momentum...

Facilities - The "John W. Smith Wrestling Center"

NLI - The "34 & Stuck" drive (from Harley above)

RTC - The "40 & 13" drive (40 Olympic teams made & 13 gold medals won)

How about we get committed to winning another, another and another and not worry about the names?

Let’s try that? Names don’t matter, I’ve been called most. Bangers matter, that’s it!
If names don't matter then can we please get rid of the 34 and counting, what is the point of that name?

Should basketball be 2 and counting?
“Elite at Times Under 2 Coaches, Mediocre to Bad Under the Rest”

“Hamilton & Boynton - But they Could Recruit!”

A forum name change should be well thought out. Not firing from the hip when people are pissed off and emotional. IMO
"34 National Championships; Catch us if you can (in 2110)" is not a joke and was well thought out. It took me quite a while arrive at that 2110/87 numbers.

Honestly, we should rename it after our NIL/RTC organization.

-It would drive more traffic to both
-It would likely generate more knowledge in here due to the newly attracted pool of fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT