ADVERTISEMENT

2023 schedule

Chris Perry mentioned going to a "las vegas tournmaent" the other day on the Wrestling Is My Life Podcast
They have just had tournaments on the schedule before and either not gone at all or sent non starters... If I am going to travel across the country to see the Cowboys mix it up with some other top teams, thats what I want to see... Imagine the disappointment of going to the scuffle to see the starters in the same bracket as the Penn State starters and find out when you get there that we didnt send starters, only a few backups..

Reactions: Cowboy Tommy
They have just had tournaments on the schedule before and either not gone at all or sent non starters... If I am going to travel across the country to see the Cowboys mix it up with some other top teams, thats what I want to see... Imagine the disappointment of going to the scuffle to see the starters in the same bracket as the Penn State starters and find out when you get there that we didnt send starters, only a few backups..
Don’t you know that not wrestling is the best way to preserve your ranking? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JAY45
For your sanity and money I suggest just sticking with the NCAA’s as your tournament of choice. More and more guys are MF and no shows for mid season tournaments.

It would be nice if they didn’t drag there heels for so long getting the schedule out.

Reactions: Cowboy Tommy
And it will be more interesting now that MF count as a loss. Vegas is not a tournament you send your back-ups to. If it’s on the schedule (which I haven’t seen yet), they will send starters.

I have seen teams listed on the tournament website that did not end up going. Once it is on the team’s official schedule, it is more reliable.

And it will be more interesting now that MF count as a loss. Vegas is not a tournament you send your back-ups to. If it’s on the schedule (which I haven’t seen yet), they will send starters.
This kicks in for this season then eh?

Looking at the CK list of teams it's going to be an amazing tournament, hopefully they continue going

Ohio State, michigan, North Carolina, Cornell, Arizona State, Nebraska, NC State, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Northwestern, Northern Iowa.........this is gonna be phenomenal if everyone brings their A team

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
It is maddening waiting for the OSU schedule to come out…

Feels like a complete dearth of news or information at this point.

Here's what I see so far:
11-Nov Bucknell
1-Dec CKLV
10-Dec At OU
19-Dec At Wyoming
19-Dec At N. Co.
30-Dec NC State in Sicily
12-Jan At Pitt
14-Jan At WVU
21-Jan Oregon State
28-Jan ISU
4-Feb At Missouri
10-Feb SDSU
18-Feb OU

At Minnesota and hosting Iowa dual will be on the schedule for early December and late January I would imagine.

UNI also hasn't released its schedule, but they should also be on the schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082 and JAY45
That’s what it says on the official calendar.
Gonna be lit!!

Does anyone know if/how I would be able to get tickets to the Italy dual. Last time wasn’t it at a military base?

Here's what I see so far:
11-Nov Bucknell
1-Dec CKLV
10-Dec At OU
19-Dec At Wyoming
19-Dec At N. Co.
30-Dec NC State in Sicily
12-Jan At Pitt
14-Jan At WVU
21-Jan Oregon State
28-Jan ISU
4-Feb At Missouri
10-Feb SDSU
18-Feb OU

At Minnesota and hosting Iowa dual will be on the schedule for early December and late January I would imagine.

UNI also hasn't released its schedule, but they should also be on the schedule.
Related because this is part of our 2023 schedule for some of our individuals is 23 and under Worlds where Plott lost to Japan 2 to 2 and then Japan lost the next round and so Plott was eliminated. Plott gave up a takedown in a whizzer situation. He had a leg several times but the Japan wrestler kicked out both times. Alveraz lost 12 to 7 to Brock Hardy but had the lead in the second period but gave up 2, 4 point moves and lost. He looked good sized at 65 kg ( 143.3 lbs). It seems like it has been a while since we have had good news ( like a big name commitment).

Looking at the CK list of teams it's going to be an amazing tournament, hopefully they continue going

Ohio State, michigan, North Carolina, Cornell, Arizona State, Nebraska, NC State, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Northwestern, Northern Iowa.........this is gonna be phenomenal if everyone brings their A team
Flo indicates around 187 of the 330 ranked wrestlers ( over half) will be at the Vegas Tournament. We will really have a better view of our wrestlers and where they stand nation wide in their weight classes. A great opportunity for us to jump in the rankings. I can't wait to watch on Flo. I think these wrestlers could make the biggest, most important jumps (Thompson, Spratley, Jamison, and Williams). We will also get a chance to see if our 3 All Americans can compete or beat the best. Also this weekend we will be able to see how our younger wrestlers do at the Hays Kansas Tournament as Wrassler 17 indicates 21 Cowboys will be there.

Last edited:
Its been suggested/reported Vito won't be there.
Seeds are out and Vito isn't there. Spratley is seeded 10th at 125, Daton is seeded 1st at 133, Jamison is seeded 11th at 141, Williams is seeded 10th at 149, 157 is not seeded in the top 17, Olejnik is seeded 3rd at 165, 174 is not seeded, Dustin is seeded 4th, Surber is seeded 4th at 197 and Doucette is seeded 8th at HWT. Projected team points puts us in 6th place with Nebraska winning.

Bob Smith open registrants drops from 21 to 14, plus Alvarez (141) unattached.

Hughes also at 141.

No Travis (thought he might be at 157) or Robb.

Simpson is wrestling which is good news with Doucet & Carroll dinged up.

Ishmael Guerrero is unattached at 157.

Hughes also at 141.

Not seeing any brackets or bout board on Flo lol I guess I cross reference track if wanting to watch?! Guess it’s just football for me

Hughes also at 141.

I think Hughes at 141 is smart in that he does not need to focus on weight much and he can just focus on getting better as a wrestler. Plus the way Coach Smith talked about this year's recruits Sakamoto may take 133.

I think Hughes at 141 is smart in that he does not need to focus on weight much and he can just focus on getting better as a wrestler. Plus the way Coach Smith talked about this year's recruits Sakamoto may take 133.
Wish Thompson could’ve done the same at 174/184

OSU still has too many gaps & logjams.

Lots of potential quality options at certain weights and huge holes and lack of depth at others.

It seems like there are some guys that could be quality 174’s, but they need time to develop. No plug and play option like the one they have at 165.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT