ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Recruiting

proud2bpokes

2nd Team
Gold Member
Feb 17, 2002
Anybody have a thought on targets for this class or the need weights?

Now that the roster for this season has been released, here is a summary of what is on the roster currently in the Sophmore class and younger:

125-Nick Piccininni-Fr, Zac Gentzler-So, Eli Hale-So
125/133-Gary Wayne Harding-So
133-Kaid Brock-Fr
133/141-Mike Migaldo-R-Fr, Dusty Hone-R-Fr
141-Dean Heil-So, Boo Lewallen-Fr, Tristan Moran-Fr, Lincoln Olsen-Fr
149-Davey Dolan-So, Jonce Blaylock-R-Fr, Joe Schumacher-R-Fr, Dalton Moran-So, Hestin Lamons-R-Fr, Tyler Mann-R-Fr
157-Chance Marsteller-R-Fr, Joe Smith-Fr
157/165-Ryan Blees-R-Fr
165-Chandler Rogers-R-Fr
174-Nobody
184-Nobody
197-Preston Weigel-R-Fr
197/285-Andrew Marsden-Fr
285-Tanner Allen-R-Fr, Garrett Beier-Fr

It's possible one of the many studs in the 157 and 165 classes could move up to 174 in a couple of years, but they could be giving up some size. In my opinion, they have blue chip recruits at 125 (assuming he can hold that weight), 133, 141, 157, and 165. It seems by interviews that I have seen/heard, that Coach Smith is confident in Weigel at 197.

That leaves:
149-So many candidates to replace Collica in two years, but it still may be wise to recruit this weight. I really haven't heard any rumors of prospects being recruited here.
174-Can't pass up Mark Hall here.
184-Desparate need weight. Beau Breske (if he is not at 174) and Keegan Moore could be possibilities.
285-To me, another need weight. I hope Streck has a good visit this weekend. Maybe the most important recruit for OSU in this class. It sounded as if he would wait until the spring signing period to see how the football process develops. Any other recruits here?

In the interview with JB 2 Joe Smith said he would start his career at 149. If we can shuffle the weights correctly Collica could possibly shirt his senior year and he would be considered in this group. I have a feeling C Rogers has outgrown 165. He wrestled 79 kg at us open, but didn't go down to 74 for WTT.

In the interview with JB 2 Joe Smith said he would start his career at 149. If we can shuffle the weights correctly Collica could possibly shirt his senior year and he would be considered in this group. I have a feeling C Rogers has outgrown 165. He wrestled 79 kg at us open, but didn't go down to 74 for WTT.

I concur with April that Joe Smith will be at 149 early in his career. We appear to have the horses at 125 through 174 to be competitive at every weight. I believe Nolan Boyd will come into his own this year and and have a banner season. Our most pressing need is at heavy weight. We have recruited Andrew Marsden and he is a skilled wrestler but at this time is definitely undersized. It is felt by some he will grow into a heavy weight but it will not be this next year. It is also possible that he would remain at 197. We have not seen enough of Preston Weigel to know if he is the answer at 197. He appears to be extremely strong and known to be very good in the top position but his aggressiveness on his feet is not yet apparent. Between Schafer, Weigel and Bean and possibly Marsden a viable 197 pounder could be forged in the room. Heavyweights are hard to come by as if they are athletic football draws them away from wrestling. I know John and Eric and Zach know this and are on the lookout for a big man and may have already found one. It would be nice if it would be this year as Austin only has this year to wrestle.

Last edited:
If Joe and Chandler settle in at those weights, 125-174 will be solid. Amazingly, there are quality freshman or redshirt freshman at each of those weights. This can be attributed to back to back years of studs coming out of Oklahoma high schools and still being able to cherry pick out of state studs like Marsteller, Blees and Piccininni.

If they can add quality depth at the upperweights this year, there may not be many holes to fill next year. They could go hard at the best available, like Fix, Gfeller, Nick Lee and could even take a shot at Spencer Lee.

Gfeller grew a little this past year. I wonder at what weights folks are expecting he and Fix to wrestle in college. I take it Spencer Lee should be at 125 in college?
Does Gfeller have ties to Oklahoma State? I am sure that Fix will have to be recruited and will get significant scholarship as he is just that good.

How will Keegan Moore stack up as he is wrestling 195 in high school. Do folks think he can hold his weight to 197 in college?

What is the story on Nick Reenan as he is a Texas kid wrestling at Wyoming Seminary. I would assume we are recruiting him. If I am not mistaken he was at Trinity Christian Academy before he left for Pennsylvania.

If Joe and Chandler settle in at those weights, 125-174 will be solid. Amazingly, there are quality freshman or redshirt freshman at each of those weights. This can be attributed to back to back years of studs coming out of Oklahoma high schools and still being able to cherry pick out of state studs like Marsteller, Blees and Piccininni.

If they can add quality depth at the upperweights this year, there may not be many holes to fill next year. They could go hard at the best available, like Fix, Gfeller, Nick Lee and could even take a shot at Spencer Lee.

Kaden Gfeller and Daton Fix are best friends and have been for several years. I am sure they would want to wrestle together but I do not know of any other ties to Oklahoma State other than Daton's dad has long been his freestyle coach.

Gfeller grew a little this past year. I wonder at what weights folks are expecting he and Fix to wrestle in college. I take it Spencer Lee should be at 125 in college?
Does Gfeller have ties to Oklahoma State? I am sure that Fix will have to be recruited and will get significant scholarship as he is just that good.

How will Keegan Moore stack up as he is wrestling 195 in high school. Do folks think he can hold his weight to 197 in college?

What is the story on Nick Reenan as he is a Texas kid wrestling at Wyoming Seminary. I would assume we are recruiting him. If I am not mistaken he was at Trinity Christian Academy before he left for Pennsylvania.
Nick Reenan is currently committed to Northwestern. Gfeller has been growing quite rapidly the last few years, so who knows where he ends up. Fix seems to be staying a little more stable with his weight, so probably a 133/125 guy.
As far as the class of 2016 goes I think OSU should go after the bigger guys( breske, Moore, colbray, Streck,) go after hall hard and hopefully bring in Wyatt Sheets. If they only pulled Hall and Sheets it would be a winning class. Next few years will be very exciting.

Nick Reenan is currently committed to Northwestern. Gfeller has been growing quite rapidly the last few years, so who knows where he ends up. Fix seems to be staying a little more stable with his weight, so probably a 133/125 guy.
As far as the class of 2016 goes I think OSU should go after the bigger guys( breske, Moore, colbray, Streck,) go after hall hard and hopefully bring in Wyatt Sheets. If they only pulled Hall and Sheets it would be a winning class. Next few years will be very exciting.
I believe we will get Sheets with the legacy factor and he will be a good addition. Love to get Hall but everyone wants him and it will be a battle. As good as he is however, I think we would do well to get several very good wrestlers as opposed to one great wrestler but that is me and I would leave that decision up to the coaches. Fix has to be our number one recruit next year.

Nick Reenan is committed to Northwestern, but hasn't signed yet! I will go on record that he will end up at OSU! If people don't know who he is then I will just say he will be a stud in college (184/197). Could end up a Alex Dieringer kind of wrestler.

Nick Reenan is committed to Northwestern, but hasn't signed yet! I will go on record that he will end up at OSU! If people don't know who he is then I will just say he will be a stud in college (184/197). Could end up a Alex Dieringer kind of wrestler.
That would be a pleasant surprise.

That would be awesome! He would fit really nicely with all of the talent already on the roster.

That would be awesome! He would fit really nicely with all of the talent already on the roster.
If Tognetti is "on record" then it has to be a done deal. I hope that he is correct as this would be a great addition to our roster and at the right weight. Now, I want him to go "on record" and tell us that the Turkish heavy weight has decided he wants to see the world and Stillwater, Oklahoma in particular and that would make my day, year and decade. Not trying to start rumors and there is NO indication that this could be happening.

Although he is wrestling high school in Pennsylvania he is a North Texas boy. He is wrestling away from home for high school. Hope his parents want him closer to home. I watched him at the Junior Nationals and he is a winner.

Kaden Gfeller and Daton Fix are best friends and have been for several years. I am sure they would want to wrestle together but I do not know of any other ties to Oklahoma State other than Daton's dad has long been his freestyle coach.

i talked with the Heritage Hall coach yesterday after the dual in norman, and he said KG is leaning towards a college in the big 10, although he likes OSU. He is being visited (or contacted) by va tech this week.

http://newsok.com/article/5466009

i talked with the Heritage Hall coach yesterday after the dual in norman, and he said KG is leaning towards a college in the big 10, although he likes OSU. He is being visited (or contacted) by va tech this week.

http://newsok.com/article/5466009

Is there a dislike button.
OSU wrestles Big 10 schools all the time. Is the overall quality of wrestling in the Big 10 better, I would say so, not to take anything away from the Big 12, but c'mon. We have our powerhouses like OSU, OU, WVU, ISU....eerrr am I missing anyone. The great thing about wrestling is that it's an individual sport in that you can still be a great wrestler and be ranked in the EIWA, Big 10, Big12, anywhere. Buuuut, look around young man, it's all good.

Keegan Moore recorded his 200th win this past weekend.
Thanks for the update, I tried to look him up on track and they don't have updated results for him.

On another note I was able to look up Ethan Anderson and according to track he is 7-0 with 7 pins.

For those of you guys who follow this more closely than me, is there a reason we seem to be doing a lot better recruiting the lower weight classes? To me (an uneducated fan) I'm really excited about all the potential at the lower weights but the big guys scare me a little.

If I had to guess I'd say it's because that's where John wrestled and was extremely successful at same with Guerrero for the past few years the upper weighs have seemed to be the weak links of the team but this incoming class looks to change that

Is there a dislike button.
OSU wrestles Big 10 schools all the time. Is the overall quality of wrestling in the Big 10 better, I would say so, not to take anything away from the Big 12, but c'mon. We have our powerhouses like OSU, OU, WVU, ISU....eerrr am I missing anyone. The great thing about wrestling is that it's an individual sport in that you can still be a great wrestler and be ranked in the EIWA, Big 10, Big12, anywhere. Buuuut, look around young man, it's all good.
I may be wrong but I interpreted "leaning towards a college in the big 10" as meaning a specific school that happens to be in the B1G and not that he prefers to wrestle in the B1G over any other conference.

I may be wrong but I interpreted "leaning towards a college in the big 10" as meaning a specific school that happens to be in the B1G and not that he prefers to wrestle in the B1G over any other conference.

Ha, I reread the post......your probly right, that little "a" makes all the difference

I think I remember from one of his Flo interviews last summer that he said he is a Nebraska fan.

I think I remember from one of his Flo interviews last summer that he said he is a Nebraska fan.

He practices up at OWA in Edmond, my son wrestles there and I have seen him numerous times with a Nebraska shirt on, but that's not saying much.....my other son has about 20+college team shirts.....kids

KG is a fan of JB

That's nice and all but a wrestler of his caliber can do better than a mid level Big 10 program with very little realistic chance of winning a championship in my opinion.

That's nice and all but a wrestler of his caliber can do better than a mid level Big 10 program with very little realistic chance of winning a championship in my opinion.
Not everyone is out to be on a front running team as a criteria for choosing a school. Wrestling is an individual sport and an individual NC is possible at Nebraska. Besides they have as many team titles as OSU over the last 9 years.

Not everyone is out to be on a front running team as a criteria for choosing a school. Wrestling is an individual sport and an individual NC is possible at Nebraska. Besides they have as many team titles as OSU over the last 9 years.

The two programs aren't really comparable from either a historical or present day standpoint.

You are correct it is an individual sport but having an opportunity to compete for a team NCAA championship and be surrounded by the best of the best is usually appealing to these type of recruits.

What about in the last 10 years?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT