ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Big 12 Wrestling - KCMO

Should be a fun tournament! I can make a flight for two days of quality wrestling so this is great.

I like the idea of off campus. What's everyone's guesstimate on an a fan attendance with the additions of the WWC teams?

I like the idea of off campus. What's everyone's guesstimate on an a fan attendance with the additions of the WWC teams?
Personally, it makes no sense to me to have it off campus. You rent an expensive arena, ensure that virtually no students will attend and get no "home crowd" being off campus. Ames is what, 240 miles away? Oklahoma State about the same? I don't think the crowds will be great. Hope I'm wrong. Put it in Ames or Stillwater Or Laramie or Norman, and I think you'd draw as well as in a state with no conference teams.

Personally, it makes no sense to me to have it off campus. You rent an expensive arena, ensure that virtually no students will attend and get no "home crowd" being off campus. Ames is what, 240 miles away? Oklahoma State about the same? I don't think the crowds will be great. Hope I'm wrong. Put it in Ames or Stillwater Or Laramie or Norman, and I think you'd draw as well as in a state with no conference teams.
I had not thought of that but you may be right. However, it is set I guess so we see how it goes and then if it flops attendance wise next year I am sure the powers to be will get the hint.

I had not thought of that but you may be right. However, it is set I guess so we see how it goes and then if it flops attendance wise next year I am sure the powers to be will get the hint.
Well, it would be interesting to see what the deciding factors were. This is just me, but I've never liked putting collegiate events off campus unless no one involved had a facility large enough or adequate enough to host. I could be among a small minority of folks who feel that way.

Well, it would be interesting to see what the deciding factors were. This is just me, but I've never liked putting collegiate events off campus unless no one involved had a facility large enough or adequate enough to host. I could be among a small minority of folks who feel that way.
I believe the intent was to foster more interest in collegiate wrestling and have a venue that would attract more publicity. However, this may backfire as you indicated few students will be in attendance and a lot of empty seats will give wrestling bad pub. Stillwater, Norman are better alternatives for the event Laramie is also a viable alternative except for West Virginia. West Virginia is in my opinion just not a fit for the Big 12 in wrestling due to location. IMO West Virginia is not a good fit in any sport due to the location vis-a-vis the other teams.

I believe the intent was to foster more interest in collegiate wrestling and have a venue that would attract more publicity. However, this may backfire as you indicated few students will be in attendance and a lot of empty seats will give wrestling bad pub. Stillwater, Norman are better alternatives for the event Laramie is also a viable alternative except for West Virginia. West Virginia is in my opinion just not a fit for the Big 12 in wrestling due to location. IMO West Virginia is not a good fit in any sport due to the location vis-a-vis the other teams.
West Virginia is not a good fit in the USA due to "Deliverance"

Reactions: mike tognetti

Your concerns are the same as mine. My liking the idea was more for visiting new places. The social butterfly that I am :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT