ADVERTISEMENT

2 spaces or 1 space after period?

I went to "Edit" post and checked. There's two spaces there after every period in that post. I have no clue why it doesn't look like it once you post. Two spaces after each sentence in this post as I type as well. Weird.

Because 2 spaces looks stupid and is a waste of space(s). (see what I did there?). Rivals recognizes this, and prevents you from looking silly.

I still do two spaces--and did in my dissertation, Anodyne....But aside from that, I'm with you. Turabian FTW, tab in the first line of footnotes, single space within and double space between, but I'm also picky in that I don't like folks who change the font size of footnotes to match the size of text. They should be smaller than the text. They aren't the star.

For real--I can't believe someone would choose to write footnotes in 12-point font. As you well know, discursive footnotes in the humanities can get out of hand. I would have used 8-point font for footnotes if I could have gotten away with it.

People that follow style guides are sheep! Don't sell yourself out and conform just for a grade, be hour own person, live on the edge, and put in three spaces between sentences just for the hell of it!

Reactions: GoPokes43
Even my phone knows it is two spaces. When you type on a phone and put in two consecutive spaces it automatically inserts a period.

giphy.gif

Two spaces after a period and one space after a comma! I'm sure it's in the Bible.

You hit space twice on your phone, but it only puts in one space. Seemingly the same as the software for this forum now.

Two spaces. Two. See? Even the iPhone capitalizes the first word after two spaces. Because it's the proper way to separate two sentences.

My step kids use one space, but they also only use one piece of toilet paper...ya know, to save time.

Jeezuz.

You're all wrong. It's one space when using full justification, and two spaces otherwise.

Formal writing is full justification.

Also, always use the Oxford comma unless you're a journalist.

Use Anodyne's guidance on the hyphen.

Last, more people should consider the use of the dash. It's a wonderful weapon in a writer's arsenal. It's such a breath of fresh air to the reader. It can replace commas and parenthesis, just don't over use it.

I am 37. I learned to type on a real typewriter (not electronic) before graduating to electronic and computers. Team two spaces here. Also, fan of the Oxford comma!

31... Have always used two spaces. My thesis and technical journal papers have all required two spaces. Anything else and I would question quality of the work done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT