ADVERTISEMENT

1917 deserves all the awards.

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
If you've seen it, you know it was shot to feel like mostly one real-time take. It's absolutely amazing how they accomplished this.

Ive not been blown away by a movie's cinematography like this since I was 7 years old and saw Star Wars for the first time in 1977.

This is a great behind the scenes vid on how they did it.

Looking forward to seeing it. I saw Parasite on Saturday, and it was pretty nuts and I can see why it got so many accolades.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Yet another societal darling that I liked but didn't love. Don't get all the over the top gushing from various sources. I'd take Once Upon a Time over it every day of the week.

And I wanted to love it.

Reactions: PDT816
Cuaron has to jealous of that long continuous scene at the beginning of the movie. Love to see what he does next to one up Mendes. This was the best edited movie since Gravity and somehow was not nominated for best editing.

It was my favorite movie of 2019just beating out US.

Favorite scene of the year. Such a haunting moment watching the men about to go die.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Gotta say that the cinematography gets a little old after 30 minutes. More importantly, it's a gimmick that prevents any character depth or plot development to take place.

Don't get me started on how conveniently the whole cow, milk, and baby sequences came together.

6/10 is a very generous rating.

Gotta say that the cinematography gets a little old after 30 minutes. More importantly, it's a gimmick that prevents any character depth or plot development to take place.

Don't get me started on how conveniently the whole cow, milk, and baby sequences came together.

I think its a matter of personnel preference. To me it was a much more substantial movie than Once Upon a Time with a lot more character depth & plot development. But then I'm somewhat a WW I buff. I'm fascinated by the cluster F it was and the movie presents it through the eyes of one soldier. Really gets into the grit and the conditions those guys went through.

Agree the whole milk thing was a bit of drama. I guess he wanted to give it a little humanity but in reality that kid dies. A huge number of civilians die in every war.

I enjoyed Once Upon of Time but to me it was a very lightweight movie. Just Tarantino's valentine to 60s Hollywood with a ridicules fantasy ending.

Last edited:
Reactions: Been Jammin

Way way off.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Yet another societal darling that I liked but didn't love. Don't get all the over the top gushing from various sources. I'd take Once Upon a Time over it every day of the week.

And I wanted to love it.

I'm with you. Don't get me wrong the cinematography was AMAZING, but the story was ok, timing felt rushed in some parts and slowed down to a crawl in some others.

Totally worth going to see, just don't build it up to much in your head how great it's going to be.

I'm with you. Don't get me wrong the cinematography was AMAZING, but the story was ok, timing felt rushed in some parts and slowed down to a crawl in some others.

Totally worth going to see, just don't build it up to much in your head how great it's going to be.
Completely agree with this. It was good by today's hollywood standards. However, I was not blown away by the story line or character development.

Same here. On my likeness scale I compare it to Dunkirk!

I enjoyed it much more than Dunkirk (which I liked). I found Dunkirk to be very confusing. Had a hard time telling a lot of the characters apart from each other. I also found the time shift, throughout the film, to be confusing. Once it was over, I got it. But while I was watching, I didn't totally understand how the 3 different stories/timelines tied together.

Reactions: OSUIvan and FMPoke
I enjoyed it much more than Dunkirk (which I liked). I found Dunkirk to be very confusing. Had a hard time telling a lot of the characters apart from each other. I also found the time shift, throughout the film, to be confusing. Once it was over, I got it. But while I was watching, I didn't totally understand how the 3 different stories/timelines tied together.
There are several others I enjoyed very much......Saving Private Ryan has to be my favorite. And then the series Band of Brothers.
I understand your confusion on Dunkirk. I think war is very confusing! The Military Channel has a section on the " Fog of War " which highlighted that.
I enjoy movies that place men in very difficult and trying situations. That just happens to be war movies for the most part!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT