ADVERTISEMENT

18/19 Roster

Listen. I know it’s their dream school. No one questions or debates that. But if you were beating a guy consistently and that guy wrestles in front of you in live matches, you are just gonna sit there and take it and waste a year? C mon. That’s just ignorant. I have no idea what John’s thoughts are on this and hope it would never come down to losing a guy(s) that are so talented
You are obviously miss informed on the kaid vs G match up. G has never beat kaid. Not once. I believe the score last weekend was 6-1 when kaid pinned G in their ranking match. All this drama is 100% false. Kaid isn't to small for 141. Losing to McKenna doesn't mean his title contention is over at 141. Kaid has also been fighting torn cartilage in his ribs for the past month which isn't why he lost but is definitely a factor in your performance. Kaid will be in the hunt at ncaa's. G will be ok if he doesn't get to wrestle this year bc in my opinion he is in between 141-149. To big for 141, not big enough for 149. He won't be going anywhere.

Lol thank you!!

Gfeller wrote a book report or something in like the second grade about how his dream is to wrestle for okie state and win the Olympics. He’d have to get cut for him to leave the program.

And I saw daton fix get a cut one time. It stood out in my memory because it was the first time I saw someone bleed orange.

Those guys will leave Oklahoma state if smith gets fired and a nitwit like me is named head coach. That’s about it.
We know we got a special wrestler in Daton but this weekend could help move him to super special wrestler. He will need to be very good at takedowns this weekend, wrestler very smart and if he is on the bottom he will need to get out quick.

You are obviously miss informed on the kaid vs G match up. G has never beat kaid. Not once. I believe the score last weekend was 6-1 when kaid pinned G in their ranking match. All this drama is 100% false. Kaid isn't to small for 141. Losing to McKenna doesn't mean his title contention is over at 141. Kaid has also been fighting torn cartilage in his ribs for the past month which isn't why he lost but is definitely a factor in your performance. Kaid will be in the hunt at ncaa's. G will be ok if he doesn't get to wrestle this year bc in my opinion he is in between 141-149. To big for 141, not big enough for 149. He won't be going anywhere.

He's back!

WCS, got a couple of questions if you care to reply...

Are you expecting Kaid to be better on bottom this year?

Is there any talk of G trying to bulk up to 157 for next year?

I just hope people don't lose their mind if Daton doesn't come out of this weekend unscathed. I don't care how talented the kid is that is a brutal weekend to for your first starts.

He's back!

Wouldn't G just wait and "bulk" up to 49 for next year? Boo is a senior if I remember correctly.

I just hope people don't lose their mind if Daton doesn't come out of this weekend unscathed. I don't care how talented the kid is that is a brutal weekend to for your first starts.

Daton very easily could go 0-2 this weekend and end up in the finals in March.

He is facing two of the top guys at the weight including the defending NC. They also happen to posses the skill set that would appear to give Daton trouble. Both are big, long guys who can scramble and are nasty on top. Gross hot back points in the finals last year. They are also very seasoned high level guys with a bunch of bigtime matches under their belt.

It will be interesting to see how Daton handled these challenges which come on back to back days.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
He's back!

I damn sure hope so! Not sure about G bulking up for 157. He might just have to bite the bullet this year and next. A lot of great wrestlers have had to wait there turn at OSU.

Reactions: Wrassler17

It's good to here that G isn't really beating Kaid but I don't think you should insult topc22blue; at least call him "mister informed".

Reactions: duke-of-earl
He's back!

Wrassler, I hate to have one of our really good wrestlers on the bench and so I try to think of ways to get him in the lineup. A 141 going up to 57 I don't believe is the answer. If he isn't close to Kaid in matches I don't understand why he hasn't or doesn't bulk up to 49 and challenge Lewallen. I don't know how good shurmur is at 57 until these 2 duals occur and as the season goes on but if he is a good 57 I don't see G bulking up and winning even next year. Bulk jobs working are rare especially with a lightweight. Hopefully White all american's this year and proves 1 of the successes if he didn't accomplish that last year?

To be very clear, I want success for this premiere program as much as you guys. I’m tired of the penn states dominating collegiate wrestling. :( I don’t claim to be an insider as some of you are but was told what I posted by one way closer to the program than me. If what wheeling said is true, so be it, and G shouldn’t have any gripe. Complete opposite story from what I was told but oh well. Sure it will work itself out. Season starting so let’s go kick some a. Looking forward to a great year.

I like G. I think he has amazing potential but maybe, just maybe he simply isn't better than Kain or Boo right now? We are talking two all-americans.

Reactions: osu2082
I damn sure hope so! Not sure about G bulking up for 157. He might just have to bite the bullet this year and next. A lot of great wrestlers have had to wait there turn at OSU.
You are 100% correct on your thinking of G, and where he's sitting in the pecking order on the team. That win he had on Sunday surprised me, he just might be one of those wrestlers that step up when the bright lights are on, but a complete different wrestler in the room.

Nomad on FRL mentioned Fix to 125 today. What does everyone think?Anybody else heard this rumor?

He is almost a guaranteed finalist at 125 and 133 is a much tougher road. If he can make 125 fine and wants to I am all for it.

Nobody is pushing PSU this year.

Nomad on FRL mentioned Fix to 125 today. What does everyone think?Anybody else heard this rumor?

That seems like a strange move to make mid season with our lineup. Suriano and Vito dropping would make more sense.

Picc is probably my favorite cowboy on this team. If it does happen, PSU and tOSU would be smart to pick him up.

That seems like a strange move to make mid season with our lineup. Suriano and Vito dropping would make more sense.

Picc is probably my favorite cowboy on this team. If it does happen, PSU and tOSU would be smart to pick him up.

Couple of thoughts from an outsider:

-Suriano did not certify at 125 so no chance he drops.
-Fix to 125 would be interesting. IMO, he is the only one capable of challenging Lee for a title.
-If Fix drops, what happens to Picc? Does he move up or move on?
-Gfeller looks really good at 149 right now, interesting to see how things shake out when BL comes back. Not sure G is going to give the spot back easily.
-Any word on when JoJo is making his debut? Reno? I know you guys haven't historically sent starters to Reno, right?

Couple of thoughts from an outsider:

-Suriano did not certify at 125 so no chance he drops.
-Fix to 125 would be interesting. IMO, he is the only one capable of challenging Lee for a title.
-If Fix drops, what happens to Picc? Does he move up or move on?
-Gfeller looks really good at 149 right now, interesting to see how things shake out when BL comes back. Not sure G is going to give the spot back easily.
-Any word on when JoJo is making his debut? Reno? I know you guys haven't historically sent starters to Reno, right?

Joe will probably be at Reno if he's healthy. Maybe some other starters as well, just to make sure they end up with enough D1 matches. No idea what happens with Picc if Daton drops down. Just last week coach Smith said Picc was still a little small for 125 and that they were having trouble getting him bigger.

What do you think Singletary does - drop to 197 or look to transfer?

I thought we normally took all the starters to Reno. Besides the snowy weather two years and scheduling conflicts and typical injuries

If he didn't wrestle Bob Smith why would we think he'd wrestle Reno, doesn't the BS Open seem like a better place to get back in action?

I'm assuming the only thing holding Joe back at this point is his health and that he'll wrestle the first time he's physically able to.

I thought we normally took all the starters to Reno. Besides the snowy weather two years and scheduling conflicts and typical injuries

John did say something about possibly taking a team bus to the UNC dual and then to Reno. He said it's good for team bonding.

I'm assuming the only thing holding Joe back at this point is his health and that he'll wrestle the first time he's physically able to.
Curious, what is that assumption based on? Is there any information from source(s) that it's a physical injury issue or is this all just speculation? The only info I've actually seen repeated by more than one (could still be speculatoon) is the weight issue.

Curious, what is that assumption based on? Is there any information from source(s) that it's a physical injury issue or is this all just speculation? The only info I've actually seen repeated by more than one (could still be speculatoon) is the weight issue.

He might not be at an optimal weight but he could/would wrestle if he were healthy.

There is an interview with coach Smith on Flo after the Minny dual. Mark Bader asked coach where Joe fits in the lineup and coach said first we need to get him healthy. He also said they didn't believe it was a long term thing at this point, but that obviously could have changed.

There is an interview with coach Smith on Flo after the Minny dual. Mark Bader asked coach where Joe fits in the lineup and coach said first we need to get him healthy. He also said they didn't believe it was a long term thing at this point, but that obviously could have changed.

Yes I heard about that statement, but especially considering who he is talking about that really doesn't tell us anything, that statement could be used in reference to a number of issues. Hopefully its a minor thing, don't know where he will fit, but history shows its always good to have a backup who can fill a couple weights in case of injury to first string guys.

Yes I heard about that statement, but especially considering who he is talking about that really doesn't tell us anything, that statement could be used in reference to a number of issues. Hopefully its a minor thing, don't know where he will fit, but history shows its always good to have a backup who can fill a couple weights in case of injury to first string guys.

I think "if" healthy he will challenge the guys at either 165 and 174.

If "unhealthy" means he weighs 190lb then I don't think he is challenging anybody at 165lb, just saying. ;)

I think the longer he goes without wrestling the chances he makes 165 get smaller. 174 is the most likely landing spot IMO.

At this point I’m wondering if he is even really wanting to wrestle. I’ve heard some things that lead me to wonder if he just blew wrestling off, at least for awhile, ate a lot, and now may be simply too embarrassed or not ready to wrestle. That may be his “injury”.

At this point I’m wondering if he is even really wanting to wrestle. I’ve heard some things that lead me to wonder if he just blew wrestling off, at least for awhile, ate a lot, and now may be simply too embarrassed or not ready to wrestle. That may be his “injury”.
I have learned through the years when John does his coach talk, believe 50% of what he says! Now, when he get all over someone in front of the media, believe everything he says. Most coaches don't talk about exact injuries, and run a wrestler down in public about personal reasons until he has tried everything possible to straighten the problem out (Chance Marsteller). The only truth is what you hear from the room, and only if they don't have a agenda. Example: I was in the room watching C Rogers put a a## whipping on C Marsteller, John told Chance they we're going to keep wrestling until he scored, Chandler finally felt sorry for him 5 minutes into it and let him score. I was talking to a flo guy two weeks later and he tells me Chance was having his way with Chandler! I told him he doen't know shi#,the person who told them that was a wrestler from the room (I won't say his name, don't want my a## kicked, MMA fighter out of Tulsa). Oops. What he said wasn't true, but he had a reason to tell them that. This happens all the time, even good info can change daily.

Lol thank you!!

Gfeller wrote a book report or something in like the second grade about how his dream is to wrestle for okie state and win the Olympics. He’d have to get cut for him to leave the program.

And I saw daton fix get a cut one time. It stood out in my memory because it was the first time I saw someone bleed orange.

Those guys will leave Oklahoma state if smith gets fired and a nitwit like me is named head coach. That’s about it.
And his OTHER best friend is transferring to OSU from Arizona in baseball.

Maybe You are misinformed. I’m told they have not had any ranking matches. Frankly with Boo out why would they? When Boo returns Kaid, Gfeller and Boo will rank.

Joe will probably be at Reno if he's healthy. Maybe some other starters as well, just to make sure they end up with enough D1 matches. No idea what happens with Picc if Daton drops down. Just last week coach Smith said Picc was still a little small for 125 and that they were having trouble getting him bigger.

What do you think Singletary does - drop to 197 or look to transfer?

Not sure about Singletary. I don't see him transferring but you never know anymore. Also, assuming you are referring to Kerkvliet coming in, there is a chance that he can RS and take an Oly RS. I don't see 197 as an option for Singletary as he was 220 in high school and has done a lot to bulk up as much as he can for 285 in college. Hoffman was recruited to take Moore's place at 197, however, he has looked really impressive in RS at 184. I guess anything could happen but I just can't see Singletary drop to 197.

Also, my apologies if I misspoke about OKST not sending starters to Reno normally...I guess it just seemed that way the last couple of years. Or maybe I am imagining things.

Last edited:
I doubt Singletary will decide to sit on the bench and I doubt he ever beats Kerkvliet. If Kerkvliet shirts next year the spot will go to Singletary his freshman and sophomore years, then he transfers. I just do not think many blue chip recruits want to put in the time to watch someone else compete.

I doubt Singletary will decide to sit on the bench and I doubt he ever beats Kerkvliet. If Kerkvliet shirts next year the spot will go to Singletary his freshman and sophomore years, then he transfers. I just do not think many blue chip recruits want to put in the time to watch someone else compete.

Unless they go to Penn State

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT