ADVERTISEMENT

174 Match

bwel9339

2nd Team
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Just curious, how much does John emphasizes weight training, Dakota Geer has been here 3+ years but gets outmuscled regularly against stronger opponents. The same happens to Carter Young although he is only a true freshman and hasn’t been in the program long. Most of our guys just don’t looked as cut up as our opponents. Seems like we need to spend more time building up our guys.

Just curious, how much does John emphasizes weight training, Dakota Geer has been here 3+ years but gets outmuscled regularly against stronger opponents. The same happens to Carter Young although he is only a true freshman and hasn’t been in the program long. Most of our guys just don’t looked as cut up as our opponents. Seems like we need to spend more time building up our guys.

Daton is ripped, AJ is ripped. Sheets and Wittlake look the part physically.

Some of it is genetics and weight management but some of it is what these guys do away from Stillwater and the mat also.

Geer is at 184 and it is actually a big cut for him and his frame.

Geer used to have a motor and could rack up points after opponents tired. Not so much now. For sports other than football it must just be almost left up to the athlete for lifting. You can totally transform your body in a year if you go all out. In basketball muscle can help immensely. We seem to actually lose muscle….examples, Eaton, Smart and Likele. Dudes were much more muscled up coming out of high school. So ready to move on from Geer and Sheets. What exactly is deal with Montalvo? He looked really good there and was coming on then he got hurt….

Last edited:
Geer used to have a motor and could rack up points after opponents tired. Not so much now. For sports other than football it must just be almost left up to the athlete for lifting. You can totally transform your body in a year if you go all out. In basketball muscle can help immensely. We seem to actually lose muscle….examples, Eaton, Smart and Likele. Dudes were much more muscled up coming out of high school. So ready to move on from Geer and Sheets. What exactly is deal with Montalvo? He looked really good there and was coming on then he got hurt….
Just depends on the cut and the wrestlers off-season habits. I think the majority of our guys are where they need to be muscle wise with the exception of Young and Surber, which will happen by next year. Montalvo tore his ACL and just recently made his return to light practice. He will be in the mix for 184 next year.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
How long ago was that injury? I thought he was on pace to AA next time out. That was about the time Sheets looked like he had jumped a level if I remember correctly. Hope they both don’t fade away. We need to shake our actions and reputation as the party program if we ever want to win again. It is literally used against us at times in recruiting.

Well don’t follow AJ on social media bc instead of supporting his teammates in Tulsa he is partying with some MMA dudes.

The cutting weight is punishing for these guys and really takes a toll on them over the course of many years. Some guys are at the right weight and some have to cut too much. The average D1 wrestler does things that the vast majority of the world would think possible and they do it year after year and week after week. I cannot imagine there is a D1 team that leaves the lifting up to the guys. They all have plans for growing or maintaining size and strength.

Yeah, you would be controlling mass gains in wrestling. I’m letting my basketball viewpoint get the better of me. But I think we could be doing a little better maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT