ADVERTISEMENT

10/22 high capacity mags

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
Many guys have a Ruger 10/22. If you are like me, you have a couple or three and have some accessories to play with, perhaps different stocks and mags. But one thing that is kinda fun to play with now is the high capacity mags. So before you go and purchase one, Read my experiences...

First off, the 25 shot BX-25. This was my first foray into the higher capacity mags for the 10/22. I have three now, and they all are great, not many feeding issues and when they do occur, it's after several reloads and significant lead accumulation. I usually take these apart after every range outing and clean them, and have started using car wax on the sliding surfaces which seems to prolong their use each outing. They tend to work with almost all ammo I have personally thrown at them, CCI mini mags, Federal AM22 (white box of 325), And even the Remington Golden Bullet. Blazer .22 ammo works well too. They tend to gum up quick with the slimy Geco .22 ammo from Germany that SGammo sells (STILLWATER! Please tell me these guys are OSU fans and I haven't been putting some squat tech fans child through college with ammo purchases). Out of the 3, there's one that jams up a little more than others, so there's probably some hit or miss with these I imagine... My price was $24 at a local gun store.

The Promag 50 round drum....just stay completely the hell away from this bastard. It will make you curse, scream, rip out hairs, and probably damn near have a stroke. It's the worst gotdam thing I have ever seen for an aftermarket magazine. Pure turd. I did get 5 rounds off once without a jam. No ammo choices worked, and I used EXACTLY what they recommend....But don't take my word for it, just google it, there might be 5 happy owners out there. Yes I read reviews before I bought it and me being a moron, I always think "oh, that's just because that guy is an idiot and doesn't know what he's doing"....WRONG. Price? $75 bucks in the shitter.

110 round GSG mag...now this is nice. I almost didn't buy this after the Promag debacle. But...I'm stupid, so I got it anyway. And I was very very pleasantly surprised. Filled it with Federal AM22 and started pulling the trigger...three full reloads later and not one jam. I haven't gotten to test it with any other ammo, but if it works with just Federal like this, I will be happier than a pig in poop paste. Slow firing or rapid balls to the wall triggering didn't seem to affect it. I have seen good reviews on it as well, so it must not be a fluke. Price was $75 bucks at Docs Gun Shop in Pryor...(check them out by he way, nice guys)...which makes me even more angry with the Promag.

Butler Creek makes the best feeding tool for feeding the 25 shot BX-25, making for fast reloads and keeps you from getting lead thumb. It won't work with the GSG, but loading the GSG wasn't necessarily a bad thing, a little time consuming but was worth it with the result. The Promag was time consuming and the result is as I said. It's now a target.

Want 110 rounds of pure spray and play .22 and don't mind a little reload time? Grab the GSG mag. Want to have 25 shots and faster reload times? BX-25, and find the Butler Creek mag loader For 10/22s on eBay. Want to end up with a $75 target and wrinkles? Promag.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT