ADVERTISEMENT

YouTube tv account sharing question

TPOKE

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 14, 2001
I read that 3 devices can access at the same time. We share with our kids and wondered is the 3 device limit over all or per account?

It’s frustrating. Even if it’s the same show, you can only stream 3. I’ve got 13 TVs, 4 phones, two Macs, and two iPads. I’m considering going back to Directv.

It’s frustrating. Even if it’s the same show, you can only stream 3. I’ve got 13 TVs, 4 phones, two Macs, and two iPads. I’m considering going back to Directv.
All of this in your own household?

But how many people? Do you have all 21 devices watching TV at once? My kids and wife rarely even watch TV. My kids prefer to just watch youtube than TV.

Reactions: OSUIvan

You know a good way to get around this is to use network applications, that way it does not count against your viewing cap. So say football saturday you're in your media room, pull up the fox sports app on 2 TVs and ESPN app on 2 more, that's 4 games going on 4 TV's and doesn't go against your 3 YTTV viewing cap.

Reactions: ctdub and squeak
I read that 3 devices can access at the same time. We share with our kids and wondered is the 3 device limit over all or per account?

It's 3 total streams per paying account. So you can share 1 paying account with 5 other people (6 accounts total) and only 3 streams can be used at once. Like I said above though, people get around this by using network apps by downloading HGTV, ESPN, Fox Sports apps to their streaming device and use their YTTV account to log in and you can view live streams and on demand content with out counting against your 3 stream limit.

Reactions: CowboyPhil
You know a good way to get around this is to use network applications, that way it does not count against your viewing cap. So say football saturday you're in your media room, pull up the fox sports app on 2 TVs and ESPN app on 2 more, that's 4 games going on 4 TV's and doesn't go against your 3 YTTV viewing cap.
Sh!t son, where were you two weeks ago?

It's 3 total streams per paying account. So you can share 1 paying account with 5 other people (6 accounts total) and only 3 streams can be used at once. Like I said above though, people get around this by using network apps by downloading HGTV, ESPN, Fox Sports apps to their streaming device and use their YTTV account to log in and you can view live streams and on demand content with out counting against your 3 stream limit.
So my two kids are considered a paying account since we share with them?

So my two kids are considered a paying account since we share with them?

So you have a paying account, and you can share with 5 other people (those people are SUPPOSED to be people living in your house but we won't debate that here) . SO yes, if your 2 kids are on your account them streaming would go against your 3 streams.

Reactions: TPOKE
How old are your kids?
So you have a paying account, and you can share with 5 other people (those people are SUPPOSED to be people living in your house but we won't debate that here) . SO yes, if your 2 kids are on your account them streaming would go against your 3 streams.
29 and 27. Out of the house and in different cities.

29 and 27. Out of the house and in different cities.

different viewing areas? if so that will be a problem in 90 days? for example if you live in Tulsa and travel to OKC for a 6 month work contract you can only use YTTV in OKC for 6 months before you have to log in from Tulsa to "check in" . You can do that for them by logging into their google account for them but that's not "secure" nor ideal. But again that's only if they're living out side your viewing area (viewing area can be any where around Tulsa not just in Tulsa).

Also be aware what you're wanting to do is against their terms of service and if they "catch" you they can cancel your service. The TOS says the sharing is to be shared with people in your household only, just wanted to throw that out there and make sure you were aware. I'm part of a few cord cutter groups and have yet to hear of anyone getting busted for this , so they're not going after people for this yet.

I hope that wasn't confusing.

Reactions: TPOKE
different viewing areas? if so that will be a problem in 90 days? for example if you live in Tulsa and travel to OKC for a 6 month work contract you can only use YTTV in OKC for 6 months before you have to log in from Tulsa to "check in" . You can do that for them by logging into their google account for them but that's not "secure" nor ideal. But again that's only if they're living out side your viewing area (viewing area can be any where around Tulsa not just in Tulsa).

Also be aware what you're wanting to do is against their terms of service and if they "catch" you they can cancel your service. The TOS says the sharing is to be shared with people in your household only, just wanted to throw that out there and make sure you were aware. I'm part of a few cord cutter groups and have yet to hear of anyone getting busted for this , so they're not going after people for this yet.

I hope that wasn't confusing.
Good information. My daughter is in Dallas and is the only one outside. Just started her over Thanksgiving, we'll see maybe in. Feb.if they're enforcing.

Good information. My daughter is in Dallas and is the only one outside. Just started her over Thanksgiving, we'll see maybe in. Feb.if they're enforcing.

Well in 90 days it will ask her to check in... what I mean by enforcing their TOS is kicking you off of their service. they are 100% enforcing the 90day check in rule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT