ADVERTISEMENT

Your opinion-OSU Coaching Dream Team

biocowboy

Redshirt
Nov 29, 2015
Let’s have some fun

I will go first......

We all know the popular names thrown around to replace John someday.Lets have some fun.

How about Cormier,Burroughs,and Fix as a staff?

We would have all weights covered and a staff that could get in any kids front door to recruit AND develop.

The attractive names are Pat Pop, Coleman Scott, and Pendelton.

Oliver gets mentioned in RTC discussions (maybe bc tattoos are ok if they aren't seen on senior night?)

But ...

Completely ignoring coaching achievements, which OSU wrestler in the last decade or so had a career with results similar to Pat Pop's? Who had a similar dispisition? I'm asking bc Pat Pop the successful coach isn't a successful coach bc he was the most successful (i.e. credentialed) wrestler. On the team, he was surrounded by guys with way more accolades; yet, he became the great coach.

Maybe look for someone like that, someone who was a part of the championship teams in the mid aughts or the 2013 team, someone who was saw greatness develop around him but did not have the same on the mat success.

(I don't know the personalities of anyone I'm going to mention, so if they are jerks or sketchy or successful laywers or just totally uninterested in coaching ... ignore them)

What about someone like Jon Morrison? He was coaching HS ... so maybe he is interested in coaching.

Jamil Kelly's coaching.

Clayton Foster, too.

Erisman, too.

What are Collica and Nolan Boyd doing?

Last edited:
I love all our wrestlers.....but in my opinion we need dynamism, creativity, innovation.
Heil was a plodder....happy to win 2-1, 3-2.
I love the style of Chris Pendleton and I really like what he has done in a short time at Oregon State.
Of the Cowboys I would think Pat P has shown the most success so far.
But I don't think you limit it to former Cowboys.
I would look and ask everyone..... Why not a former Penn State wrestler that wants to coach? Does Jordan Burrou

Honestly, I would love to see someone like Yanni Diakomihalis to join the staff in like 4-5 years after his FS days are done.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
There are a lot of reasons why we are stuck at 34. However, the biggest reason is the rise of Penn State. They are doing something different and better than everyone else. We need to find out what that is and start copying them. That is how sports work. Someone innovates, reaps the rewards until the field catches up, and then the process starts over. If Cael has any long time assistants, that is who I would look to.

I love all our wrestlers.....but in my opinion we need dynamism, creativity, innovation.
Heil was a plodder....happy to win 2-1, 3-2.
I love the style of Chris Pendleton and I really like what he has done in a short time at Oregon State.
Of the Cowboys I would think Pat P has shown the most success so far.
But I don't think you limit it to former Cowboys.
I would look and ask everyone..... Why not a former Penn State wrestler that wants to coach? Does Jordan Burrou
Agree on not limiting it to former OSU wrestlers. As soon as the new coach has success they'll be adopted into the family.

I’m not saying I know what should or will happen with respect to Coach Smith but I just thought I might give some OSU historical context. Gable’s first year was 1978 and in the next seven years (’78 – ’84) we finished as follows: 3, 6, 2, 4, 4, 2 & 2. Keep in mind that we’d only finish as low as 6th twice before and 5th twice, ever.

In 1984 we were ranked #1 after beating Iowa 24-6 in the Dual so when we finished 2nd to them with 98pts to their 123.5 it was quite a shock. We had six wrestlers wrestle under seed with only Sheets and Monday wresting to seed ( #1 ). The had three under, three to seed and three over. #3 John Smith and #4 Pete Bush almost cancel each other out getting a fall each before being upset and out. We had seven AA’s they had eight.

So after finishing 2 ,4, 4, 2 & 2 in successive seasons, Coach Chesbro was replaced with Joe Seay. I’m just saying Chesbo’s last five years were quite good even if the wrestlers in his last were disappointing in the NCAA. I think if both teams had wrestled exactly to seed in '84 we would have still lost (8 & 9 AA’s respectively).

Also comparing Tommy Chesbro’s stature to John Smith’s is almost like comparing John Smith’s to Clayton Foster’s

Last edited:
I’m not saying I know what should or will happen with respect to Coach Smith but I just thought I might give some OSU historical context. Gable’s first year was 1978 and in the next seven years (’78 – ’84) we finished as follows: 3, 6, 2, 4, 4, 2 & 2. Keep in mind that we’d only finish as low as 6th twice before and 5th twice, ever.

In 1984 we were ranked #1 after beating Iowa 24-6 in the Dual so when we finished 2nd to them with 98pts to their 123.5 it was quite a shock. We had six wrestlers wrestle under seed with only Sheets and Monday wresting to seed ( #1 ). The had three under, three to seed and three over. #3 John Smith and #4 Pete Bush almost cancel each other out getting a fall each before being upset and out. We had seven AA’s they had eight.

So after finishing 2 ,4, 4, 2 & 2 in successive seasons, Coach Chesbro was replaced with Joe Seay. I’m just saying Chesbo’s last five years were quite good even if the wrestlers in his last were disappointing in the NCAA. I think if both teams had wrestled exactly to seed in '84 we would have still lost (8 & 9 AA’s respectively).

Also comparing Tommy Chesbro’s stature John Smith’s is almost like comparing Tommy Chesbro’s to Clayton Foster’s
On 'The Smiths' podcast, they said coach Chesbro was told he would be fired if he didn't win the team championship in 1984.

It's interesting how expectations for the program have changed. We talk a lot about PSU's dominance, but during the current 16 year title drought, we've only finished 2nd twice.

On 'The Smiths' podcast, they said coach Chesbro was told he would be fired if he didn't win the team championship in 1984.

It's interesting how expectations for the program have changed. We talk a lot about PSU's dominance, but during the current 16 year title drought, we've only finished 2nd twice.
Also; we finished 16th, 14th & 13th while no other OSU team has finished below 7th. I would say that a lot of our lack of success in that 15 years (COVID) can be attributed to a kind of Smith/RTC/Phobia, let’s call it SRP. If you look at Smith’s previous 13 years I think we should throw out the first championship as those were Seay’s people and the 7th and 6th as caused by the probation so: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5; fairly respectable. I don’t know when the SRP effect really kicked in but our troubles started right after our championship run; 5, 5, 16, 6, 4, 6 respectively. As a Red Sox fan I use to some down years but it would be nice to have a championship every four or five years.

Also; we finished 16th, 14th & 13th while no other OSU team has finished below 7th. I would say that a lot of our lack of success in that 15 years (COVID) can be attributed to a kind of Smith/RTC/Phobia, let’s call it SRP. If you look at Smith’s previous 13 years I think we should throw out the first championship as those were Seay’s people and the 7th and 6th as caused by the probation so: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5; fairly respectable. I don’t know when the SRP effect really kicked in but our troubles started right after our championship run; 5, 5, 16, 6, 4, 6 respectively. As a Red Sox fan I use to some down years but it would be nice to have a championship every four or five years.
I'm not sure what led to the slide. I know there are many on here that followed the team closely back then, so they would probably know.

RTCs didn't really become a big deal until maybe 8 years ago. Before that, I've read Pat Smith leaving may have been a factor. Followed by Mark Branch. Also, the Gator Wrestling Club was pretty hot from 2004-2008 but then dissolved at some point? And starting around 2010, you had Brands go to Iowa, Cael to PSU, & Ryan to OhioSt.

Last edited:
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I'm not sure what lead to the slide. I know there are many on here that followed the team closely back then, so they would probably know.

RTCs didn't really become a big deal until maybe 8 years ago. Before that, I've read Pat Smith leaving may have been a factor. Followed by Mark Branch. Also, the Gator Wrestling Club was pretty hot from 2004-2008 but then dissolved at some point? And starting around 2010, you had Brands go to Iowa, Cael to PSU, & Ryan to OhioSt.
Wrassler I have a vague memory of some probation where we lost some scholarships because the drop from 2006 to the next few years is unbelievable. This if I am right and the Seay probation could explain Coach Smith's fear. Many people have indicated that Pat Smith loss was great because Pat was so likeable plus he was the 1st 4 timer.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Let’s have some fun

I will go first......

We all know the popular names thrown around to replace John someday.Lets have some fun.

How about Cormier,Burroughs,and Fix as a staff?

We would have all weights covered and a staff that could get in any kids front door to recruit AND develop.
Someone from penn st staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT