ADVERTISEMENT

WTH Sonic Drive-ins

Dally1up

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2001
Has anyone else experienced a complete service downslide in the last year or so?

I know we are talking about fast food here but dammit as a drink dispensary they have been gold for a long time. Not so much any more.

Screens that are black and not in service, inaudible audio, phone app that does not work and most importantly- length of time to get your order is rampant.

I have literally drove away from 3 different Sonics in the last 3 weeks because of waiting for over 15 minutes to get a response . At one location I literally watched 3 cars leave.

Did something change?

They got bought out a couple of years ago. No clue if that has anything to do with it or not. Now owned by the company who owns Arby's and Buffalo Wild Wings.

Reactions: Dally1up
I was in a hurry a couple of weeks ago and stopped at the Sonic in Watonga.

Good lord, those were some awful chicken strips. I should’ve just went to the Apple Mart and got some from their deli like I’ve done before.

They got bought out a couple of years ago. No clue if that has anything to do with it or not. Now owned by the company who owns Arby's and Buffalo Wild Wings.
That was corporate and the Sonics are franchises so different groups own them. Most the Sonics in southern Oklahoma and Texas were sold a few years ago. I think this is happening across the state also. We have like 5 in Shawnee and I will only eat at the one way outside town because it has different ownership then the ones in city limits. The food and service are night and day. It’s all about ownership. Most though are going the way of what Dally is complaining about. I think a lot has to do with hiring of supervisors.

Inspire Brands has ruined Sonic.

Its really that simple.

you knew it was going to happen when Hudson sold out in 2018. Waiting for them to change the headquarters location as well.

you knew it was going to happen when Hudson sold out in 2018. Waiting for them to change the headquarters location as well.
If they have one. They have let a ton of people go from corporate from what I hear.

I shy away from conglomerate fast food outlets. Give me the family run outlets with five to ten sites in a limited area.

Reactions: The Duke
I shy away from conglomerate fast food outlets. Give me the family run outlets with five to ten sites in a limited area.

precisely the type of restaurants suffering the most to stay in business thanks to Chinese Communists and their disguisting wet markets.

I experienced the same issue in the last week.i was in a small town with no other choices. Pulled in to 2 spots and screens were broke.got a burger with NO meat.no joke.they forgot it.if you get a blast good luck on getting more than 2 pieces of actual candy.i have never understood why people pay these HIGH prices for POOR quality!

I was in a hurry a couple of weeks ago and stopped at the Sonic in Watonga.

Good lord, those were some awful chicken strips. I should’ve just went to the Apple Mart and got some from their deli like I’ve done before.

Holy cow, that’s the same one that’s a mile from my house. That one SUCKS!

One time it took over 20 minutes to get my order out. When I checked about it, the car hop said they were swamped, but there weren’t even that many cars there. After checking two other times, I asked for the manager and they said the order was dropped when the we’re bringing it out and had to remake it. They never even apologized for what happened or for how long it took. The one on Rufe Snow has been horrible for a long time.

Reactions: jkosu
That was corporate and the Sonics are franchises so different groups own them. Most the Sonics in southern Oklahoma and Texas were sold a few years ago. I think this is happening across the state also. We have like 5 in Shawnee and I will only eat at the one way outside town because it has different ownership then the ones in city limits. The food and service are night and day. It’s all about ownership. Most though are going the way of what Dally is complaining about. I think a lot has to do with hiring of supervisors.

But those franchises are supported by corporate, if they lose that support then their place goes to shit as well. They can try to keep up on their own, and may keep it up. But how long do they do that before they give up doing it on their own when their own corporate doesn't care why should they?

That is the feeling I have gotten from the 2 Owasso Sonics. They used to be good, then have sucked.

But those franchises are supported by corporate, if they lose that support then their place goes to shit as well. They can try to keep up on their own, and may keep it up. But how long do they do that before they give up doing it on their own when their own corporate doesn't care why should they?

That is the feeling I have gotten from the 2 Owasso Sonics. They used to be good, then have sucked.
Most don’t use corporate as the basics for training managers. They have their own programs. This is why some suck and some are still great. A lot of these are changing hands and the training programs are being down graded. If ownership is lose then that filters down. You basically don’t have to even try very hard to make money with a Sonic and you are seeing a lot of lazy owners taking over.

Most don’t use corporate as the basics for training managers. They have their own programs. This is why some suck and some are still great. A lot of these are changing hands and the training programs are being down graded. If ownership is lose then that filters down. You basically don’t have to even try very hard to make money with a Sonic and you are seeing a lot of lazy owners taking over.

I was more referring to facilities , and quality of food, as that slides so does the service.

Reactions: tcpoke
Has anyone else experienced a complete service downslide in the last year or so?

Before the rona I did mystery shopping. Easy as hell and free food. Was good for a little pocket change and free trips to decent places. Of course, you had fast food joints available.

Did a sonic near here twice. Early afternoon, midweek, no one really there both times. Left the first time 20 minutes as nothing I ordered ever came. Second time I finally got the food about 17 minutes in. Burned.

I got focused a lot more on health a few years ago so I dont partake in bad food much, but what I remembered Sonic being and what it is now is night and day.

True story: I went to the one at 122nd and Council about five years ago for one of their promotions (free drink with a burger or whatnot) - they rang it up at the normal price, then argued with me that the signs out front didn’t mean they had to honor it all day.
The manager finally said “what will it take for me to get you to leave - but I’m not going to honor the promotion no matter what.”
I just laughed and thanked him for showing me what really awful customer service really looked like.

Before the rona I did mystery shopping. Easy as hell and free food. Was good for a little pocket change and free trips to decent places. Of course, you had fast food joints available.

Did a sonic near here twice. Early afternoon, midweek, no one really there both times. Left the first time 20 minutes as nothing I ordered ever came. Second time I finally got the food about 17 minutes in. Burned.

I got focused a lot more on health a few years ago so I dont partake in bad food much, but what I remembered Sonic being and what it is now is night and day.

What the **** is mystery shopping?

I used to audit Sonic 15-18 years ago. Haven’t been in years bc their drinks started sucking a few years back. Anyway, had to see what all the fuss is about. Went today. Portland and Memorial. Service was fine by food was dogsh!t. Chicken strips were not edible and tots barely cooked.

They quit carrying orange slushes. That’s all you really need to know.

They quit carrying orange slushes. That’s all you really need to know.
I have no idea why they did that! One sonic in Tulsa told us that they can make an orange slush with Orange Fanta...no thanks...she was honest and said it wasn't very good. Slushes is the only thing we get from Sonic but it depends on how busy they look. If you have a great Sonic in your town cherish it! It won't be long before they fail. Everyone I talk to says they are horrible...our two in town stinks.

Reactions: OSUIvan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT