ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Athlete to Coach Pipeline

SlickWillie2018

Recruit
Jul 16, 2024
Had some random thoughts pop up on my drive into work this morning that I wanted to share with people who are smarter than me.

Is wrestling the only sport where it’s all-time great athletes have consistently transitioned to being great coaches? Dan Gable, John Smith, and Cael Sanderson (and hopefully David Taylor soon) are all on the Mount Rushmore of American wrestling competitors who transitioned to coaching and produced some dominant teams.

I could be entirely wrong, but I don’t think guys like Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, Cal Ripken, or **insert your personal GOAT in any sport* could turn a college or professional team in their respective sport into a dynasty in the way those other guys have.

Thinking about that got me wondering why that’s the case, and what are the characteristics that make a great wrestler which also translate to being a great coach. Is it because they have a chance to roll with the guys in the room? Is it because there’s so much more of a mental/mindset component to wrestling than those other sports? I’m not totally sure.

Sorry for the long, maybe rambling, post. Just something for y’all to chew on this fine Thursday afternoon .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT