ADVERTISEMENT

Would it be worth it?

SUPERPOKES

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
DFW
If Trump pushed a candidate to replace Ruth Ginsberg through before the election cost him the election because of the politics involved, would it be worth it?

That’s a tricky question. As history has shown us, just because a Republican nominates a candidate, it doesn’t mean that candidate will be a conservative. Perhaps the best example of this is when Eisenhower nominated Earl Warren for Chief Justice. Warren ended up moving the court into an extreme left direction (Roe v. Wade, Miranda v. Arizona, Gideon v. Wainwright, Engel v. Vitale, and Brown v. Board all were decided under his court). Ike said that picking Warren was “the biggest damn fool decision I ever made.”

Really history shows there is not enough time to get the confirmation in.

Politically I don't think it is a good idea especially with the stance repubs took in 2016.

Last edited:
Make the pick and forward it on to the Senate. If the Senate can get the pick confirmed before the election then do it. There is plenty of time unless the GOPers up for election decide they need more time in their states to campaign. Push it through anyway. The dems already have researched every possible nomination. They are making their calls to their "assets" to get their stories ready for the press tour and Senate testimony.

If the dems had the WH and the Senate with an election in 45 days they would have already had the nomination on the floor of the Senate bypassing the Judiciary Committee.. Riots, looting, murdering and Wuhan Charlie would be shoved to the side to fill the vacancy. Of course, if the dems held the WH and Senate, Ruth Buzzy Ginsberg would have already been replaced.

Do what dems would do in this situation, nominate and shove it down their throat.

Exactly. If the Dems were in this same boat, they’d be doing the exact same thing with no apologies. To think that they’d put off the appointment until after the election if they had control of both the White House and the Senate is naive.

Exactly. If the Dems were in this same boat, they’d be doing the exact same thing with no apologies. To think that they’d put off the appointment until after the election if they had control of both the White House and the Senate is naive.

Unfortunately, I doubt you’ll ever hear anyone ask Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, or Chuck Schumer what they would be in favor of doing if their party was in the situation that the Republicans are in. I’d love to hear how they’d spin it.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT