ADVERTISEMENT

World team trials

Mrgrapple

2nd Team
Sep 8, 2006
Fix only current Cowboy so far. Very loaded weight with Soriano, Gross, Colon, Garrett, Aurjai, Richards and also Carter Young. Former Cowboys Heil, Oliver, Dieringer, Schaffer. 61 and 79 are ridiculously tough.

Starts at 10 AM and Carter Young at 61 KG wrestles J. Camacho. Daton Fix has a bye and wrestles the winner of this match. Ringer seeded #2 has a bye and wrestles J. Shields in the 2nd round. Shafer at 125kg wrestles T. Gordon. These are the weights that wrestle today.

Reactions: osu2082
Quarterfinal matchups: Fix vs. Seth Gross, Dierenger vs. David McFadden, Shafer vs. Mason Parris.

Fix with a 11-0 tf over seth Gross. Alex dec. David McFadden 3-1 in a match with no takedowns as McFadden totally on the defense. Fix had every answer on Seth Gross. Alex has not looked dominant.

I missed it but Fix beats Graff and now has Tomasello in the finals. I can’t find what time the finals begin.

Ringer over IMar 6-1 and faces Burroughs in the finals. Daton wrestles Tomasello in the finals tomorrow night. Jordan lost to James Green 6-4.

Reactions: turfpoke
I missed it but Fix beats Graff and now has Tomasello in the finals. I can’t find what time the finals begin.
Daton has done well getting to the finals at 61 and Dieringer beat Martinez 6 to 1 . Oliver lost 6 to 4 when he was behind 6 to 0 after the 1st period.

Last edited:
Reactions: driad and turfpoke
Alex lost to Burroughs because of Jordan's speed and his double legs that just wrecked Alex. Alex dumped Jordan to his back for 4 but the end of the first and second period was all Burroughs.

Alex nearly had him pinned.

Daton came out and won the match aggressively in the 2nd period with a takedown and a turn. Scored another takedown for good measure. Daton seems much more aggressive and therefore more dominant.
Daton’s problems, IMO, have been when he is tight and not aggressive. When he is actively trying to score the entire match he is nearly impossible to beat.

Alex nearly had him pinned.
Alex really battled to come back but lost 4 to 3. If the match was 30 seconds longer I would have bet on Alex because Burroughs was cramping bad and had lost control of the match in the last minute. Yes he almost pinned him.

Alex really battled to come back but lost 4 to 3. If the match was 30 seconds longer I would have bet on Alex because Burroughs was cramping bad and had lost control of the match in the last minute. Yes he almost pinned him.

If he had gotten the pin, I think Alex wins in 3. His size and strength was starting to wear JB down.

Reactions: JAY45
Throwing this out as a possibility since Daton seemed to have a lot more bounce up at 61 kg...

One of the biggest challenges for Daton is making 57 kg for the World/Olympic trials just 2 weeks after Nationals. That's a tough cut in a short amount of time. He could go 133 / 61 kg in 2022 & 2023. But what about 2024? If he decides to return for his final season, he could bump to 141 & go 65 kg for the Olympic trials. Bouzakis (hopefully) could then slide in @ 133 as a redshirt freshman.

Reactions: turfpoke
If he had gotten the pin, I think Alex wins in 3. His size and strength was starting to wear JB down.

uh. no. It wasn't Alex's "size" that was wearing him down. It was burroughs lower leg injury. Hoping it's just a high ankle sprain, but he couldn't defend himself and gave up 4 straight pushouts.

uh. no. It wasn't Alex's "size" that was wearing him down. It was burroughs lower leg injury. Hoping it's just a high ankle sprain, but he couldn't defend himself and gave up 4 straight pushouts.

I think the fact he wrestled bigger stronger guys potentially took more of a toll on his body contributing to whatever he was dealing with.

His face certainly showed the signs.

I don’t think it’s crazy to say Alex had a good shot had it gone to a third and that the size and strength advantage could of played a roll at the end of a grueling tournament.

You’re kinda conflating two different things here.

yes, he wrestled bigger guys and his scoring output changed a bit. But b. It wasn’t Ringers size.

while I was completely shocked, Burroughs double was most effective on the biggest and strongest guy in the weight (ringer)

had it gone to the third match - I would hope there’s a Mr. Miyagi in the building, because JB was hobbling bad after that match.

You’re kinda conflating two different things here.

yes, he wrestled bigger guys and his scoring output changed a bit. But b. It wasn’t Ringers size.

while I was completely shocked, Burroughs double was most effective on the biggest and strongest guy in the weight (ringer)

had it gone to the third match - I would hope there’s a Mr. Miyagi in the building, because JB was hobbling bad after that match.
You could be right, but that’s the problem with should’ve, could’ve, would’ves, we will never know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT