ADVERTISEMENT

woke up and still mad

I was doing ok until I saw this video on FB, how this was not called AFTER a review is beyond me.

starts about 6 seconds in

Posted the same on the corral... I woke up feeling worse about this situation than I did last night. The stalemate is a judgement call and while horrible I can sort of get past that but the headgear pull is an absolute violation by rule.

The ref essentially took a national championship from a kid last night. OSU wreslter or not that is just flat wrong. You just stole a kids dream he has worked all his life for.

There is no guarantee as talented as he is that he gets another opportunity. Absolutely criminal what happened to him last night and that referee should be fired.

I was initially more mad about the stalemate. I’ve completely flipped. The more you see the headgear pull he more maddening it is. Fix was in amazing position and the grab completely stopped his momentum.

I was initially more mad about the stalemate. I’ve completely flipped. The more you see the headgear pull he more maddening it is. Fix was in amazing position and the grab completely stopped his momentum.

Yeah, this is pretty bad. I hadn't seen this angle before. You can actually see Suriano's hand slip off the neck and latch onto the headgear. Was this camera angle footage available to the officials?

If that match was in St Louis or anywhere away from the pro Pennsylvania/New Jersey crowd that coward ref might’ve reversed the call. There’s no way he was gonna do it in that arena.

I'm revisiting similar feelings I had on JO getting screwed.

I watched it again, and I originally thought Suriano wrestled the better match and could be argued that he "deserved" to win.

I watched it again and that is simply not the truth. He wrestled to KEEP Fix from wrestling. He didn't attempt any more than Fix, he just looked busier.

So, that stalemate, which is never seen, I mean ever in OT with 9 seconds left...just pissed me off even further. Then, watching the slide by again, it is obvious that grabbing the headgear prevented his loss by TD.

Anybody that refutes these facts is just biased.

Yeah, this is pretty bad. I hadn't seen this angle before. You can actually see Suriano's hand slip off the neck and latch onto the headgear. Was this camera angle footage available to the officials?
From my understanding, no. The officials only had matside camera, which was on the opposite side from the pull. If that's the case, they probably couldn't see it. I would be more concerned with the way Daton wrestled. Suriano dictated the pace the entire time and deserved the victory imo. Daton is capable of more.

From my understanding, no. The officials only had matside camera, which was on the opposite side from the pull. If that's the case, they probably couldn't see it. I would be more concerned with the way Daton wrestled. Suriano dictated the pace the entire time and deserved the victory imo. Daton is capable of more.
they (ESPN) originally said all camera angles would be available for the finals. Did that change? If not, did the officials look at the available angles, and were they made available to them? Lots of questions.

While I agree Daton is capable of more there were three "committed to" legitimate shots in that match. Daton had two of them.

Head pressure and pushing forward with no action can also be called stalling and definitely isn't "dictating" the pace if we are talking offensive wrelstling.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
I'm revisiting similar feelings I had on JO getting screwed.

I watched it again, and I originally thought Suriano wrestled the better match and could be argued that he "deserved" to win.

I watched it again and that is simply not the truth. He wrestled to KEEP Fix from wrestling. He didn't attempt any more than Fix, he just looked busier.

So, that stalemate, which is never seen, I mean ever in OT with 9 seconds left...just pissed me off even further. Then, watching the slide by again, it is obvious that grabbing the headgear prevented his loss by TD.

Anybody that refutes these facts is just biased.
I think people have that opinion mainly because Suriano owned the center of the mat. Daton was constantly circling looking for angles while Suriano stationed in the middle.

I think people have that opinion mainly because Suriano owned the center of the mat. Daton was constantly circling looking for angles while Suriano stationed in the middle.

Which is stalling if you have the lead in the 3rd.

Not to belabor the Daton/Suriano match yet again, but...

Track has an excellent interview with Tim Shiels, the director of officials. It covers a number of topics but here are some of the key points on the 133 final:

- Shiels said he spoke to the ref afterward and told him that he believed that stalemate call was made too quickly.
- We were hit with a control of the mat infraction for complaining about the headgear hold. It wasn't recorded properly, so we never lost a team point.
- The officials chose to review the headgear hold on their own considering the circumstances.
- The rulebook says that any grabbing of the headgear is a penalty point. It doesn't specify that it has to be pulled (or used to gain an advantage).
- Shiels said all ESPN camera angles should have been available for review because it was the finals.
- On the question of whether the headgear penalty point should have been made, Shiels did not want to answer. He said fans will be upset if he said yes and they will be upset if he said no. Listening to it though, it certainly seemed like he thought the refs should have called a penalty.

Not to belabor the Daton/Suriano match yet again, but...

Track has an excellent interview with Tim Shiels, the director of officials. It covers a number of topics but here are some of the key points on the 133 final:

- Shiels said he spoke to the ref afterward and told him that he believed that stalemate call was made too quickly.
- We were hit with a control of the mat infraction for complaining about the headgear hold. It wasn't recorded properly, so we never lost a team point.
- The officials chose to review the headgear hold on their own considering the circumstances.
- The rulebook says that any grabbing of the headgear is a penalty point. It doesn't specify that it has to be pulled (or used to gain an advantage).
- Shiels said all ESPN camera angles should have been available for review because it was the finals.
- On the question of whether the headgear penalty point should have been made, Shiels did not want to answer. He said fans will be upset if he said yes and they will be upset if he said no. Listening to it though, it certainly seemed like he thought the refs should have called a penalty.

stalemate too quick

ya think?????

that gutless ref let the crowd run the match
period

Reactions: CowboyTanker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT