ADVERTISEMENT

With the new conference realignment talk

Not sure I understand what you are seeking. They are the reigning conference co-champion. I agree it was a fluke, but they do tend to give us the best competition in the conference. Steel sharpens steel.

Reactions: tom_v31
Think it’s very interesting. I’m hoping the big 12 doesn’t fold but if OSU could go to the Big 10 or the pac 12 it would be really interesting especially with the pac 12 now allowing non affiliated members. I could see a lot of the current Big 12 teams going to the pac 12 like UO if they go to sec for other sports some other teams like Missouri and Iowa st if the big 12 folds but that depends where Iowa st lands

a big!!! concern. what kid from texas wants to play half his games in the pst zone? do you want to be stuck playing baylor, tcu, tt, ksu, wash st, cal? what a lineup.

If ou and ut end up going to the SEC, I think that will be the end of the big 12. I would hope that the rest of the teams end up something like this:

WVU - ACC
KU, KSU, BAY, TTU - PAC
ISU, OSU - BIG 10
TCU - American
(maybe swap KU and TCU)

OSU would be better off (for all sports) in the Big 10 over the PAC.

If ou and ut end up going to the SEC, I think that will be the end of the big 12. I would hope that the rest of the teams end up something like this:

WVU - ACC
KU, KSU, BAY, TTU - PAC
ISU, OSU - BIG 10
TCU - American
(maybe swap KU and TCU)

OSU would be better off (for all sports) in the Big 10 over the PAC.
I agree that the Big 12 will be gone but OSU doesn’t meet the academic requirements of the B1G. ACC would be the best fit for us with the Carolina schools, Pitt, and WVU. Besides, a move to the SEC will be a good excuse for uo to drop wrestling.

OU football could go to the SEC with other programs remaining in the Big 12. The football move is about money. Less profitable sports won't want to sacrifice the easy drives to Stilly and other close schools. Just a thought.

Should there be concern that OU actually shuts down the program? It took Mizzou a decade to get back to the Big 12. I would be shocked if the Big 12 let them stay right off the bat and that is even assuming there is a Big 12.

I know wrestling is the least of OU's concerns but this terrible for OU wrestling and I don't think they've been on the firmest ground to begin with.

Sounds like it is pretty much a done deal. The only way for what's left of the Big 12 to survive is to merge with the American conference and hope for the best. Probably wouldn't be considered a "power" conference tho.

FWIW, I don't think Nebraska meets the Big 10's academic requirements either.

Last edited:
Sounds like it is pretty much a done deal. The only way for what's left of the Big 12 to survive is to merge with the American conference and hope for the best. Probably wouldn't be considered a "power" conference tho.

FWIW, I don't think Nebraska meets the Big 10's academic requirements either.
Nebraska doesn’t meet the standards now but they did when they moved to the B1G. I could see ISU moving to the B1G as they meet the academics requirements.

Reactions: Pokewood
Should there be concern that OU actually shuts down the program? It took Mizzou a decade to get back to the Big 12. I would be shocked if the Big 12 let them stay right off the bat and that is even assuming there is a Big 12.

I know wrestling is the least of OU's concerns but this terrible for OU wrestling and I don't think they've been on the firmest ground to begin with.
My prediction: there will be no Big 12, there will be no more OU wrestling, there will be no Bedlam.

OSU needs to be scambling to put together/join the best conf deal they can (it won't be b10 we have nothing they want). Wrestling should go back to just put together a tough independent schedule every year and push to have a multi conf/regional qualifying tournament, don't really need a conference for wrestling.

BTW: Can we just kick OU & TX out of the conf right now? Let em scramble to put together a 2021 fall football schedule.

BTW: Can we just kick OU & TX out of the conf right now? Let em scramble to put together a 2021 fall football schedule.
My opinion appears to be different. If OU drops wrestling or is not accepted into the Big 12 for wrestling it hurts us severely and could be the start of events that lead us to drop wrestling. We need OU in wrestling as does the rest of the Big 12. I am not a sooner fan but recognize that the Bedlam rivalry is important to us and losing it could be the death knell for wrestling in the state of Oklahoma. I think you do not kick the baby out with the bathwater and I am not an OU hater just because they want to leave the Big 12. I do understand that it is primarily greed that is driving this engine for Texas and Oklahoma. When interest falls off in OSU wrestling because of this. and it will, then we will regret any stand taken to eliminate OU as a wrestling rival or keep them out of the conference for wrestling.

My opinion appears to be different. If OU drops wrestling or is not accepted into the Big 12 for wrestling it hurts us severely and could be the start of events that lead us to drop wrestling. We need OU in wrestling as does the rest of the Big 12. I am not a sooner fan but recognize that the Bedlam rivalry is important to us and losing it could be the death knell for wrestling in the state of Oklahoma. I think you do not kick the baby out with the bathwater and I am not an OU hater just because they want to leave the Big 12. I do understand that it is primarily greed that is driving this engine for Texas and Oklahoma. When interest falls off in OSU wrestling because of this. and it will, then we will regret any stand taken to eliminate OU as a wrestling rival or keep them out of the conference for wrestling.

The simple fact is there probably won't be a big 12 conference anymore and its OU's fault. I'm sure John will continue to schedule them but outside of that there isn't much we can do.

There isn't gonna be a big 12, KU is already working to get in b10, they have reason to want KU for the Kansas City etc market. No one cares about getting the Stillwater market. The SEC will get Texas & Oklahoma market. SEC & b10 networks will have HUGE $s gains. :(

While I agree, big 10 makes sense....however big 10 diamond sports are god awful and get no respect from a national perspective outside of Michigan softball and baseball.

While I agree, big 10 makes sense....however big 10 diamond sports are god awful and get no respect from a national perspective outside of Michigan softball and baseball.
This is why ACC is a great fit overall in my opinion. Respectable in football, the best in basketball, solid in wrestling, baseball, golf, softball,…. Hope we end up there

Last edited:
Reactions: lincolnhs and OHkie
Screw ou. They don’t deserve to even be on the same Wrestling Matt as OSU. Ou can F off. F them hoes

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
This is why ACC is a great fit overall in my opinion. Respectable if football, the best in basketball, solid in wrestling, baseball, golf, softball,…. Hope we nd up there
Sure except for that whole "Atlantic Coast" name thingie. Now if could get them to rename the conference to the Red River & Atlantic Coast Conference RRACC then a perfect fit. :)

Screw ou. They don’t deserve to even be on the same Wrestling Matt as OSU. Ou can F off. F them hoes
And thats why I say kick them and TX out right now, let them figure out their own fall football schedule, maybe they could just play each other 8 times this fall. If they don't get into a conf championship game they can't make the 4 team playoffs, correct?

More Tv's in OKC and Tulsa than the KC market. OSU brings sooo many more viewers than KU does. If a conference is looking between the two schools its a no brainer in today's market.

We'd be an excellent fit for the B10. If this happens we need to pour some $$$ into the wrestling program. Also OU is welcome to come to Stillwater but we should never take another team down there. I know the wrestling community is different so I have no doubt we will wrestle down there to simply help boost OU's attendance at least once a year but I have no love for them and could care less if they fade away. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

And thats why I say kick them and TX out right now, let them figure out their own fall football schedule, maybe they could just play each other 8 times this fall. If they don't get into a conf championship game they can't make the 4 team playoffs, correct?
I was initially bothered by the story that the other eight Big 12 institution were considering paying Texas and ou an increase to 1.5% of the revenue in effort to keep them and other schools taking less to keep the conference intact - I thought our president and AD have to be smarter than this. After thinking about this further, I think this is brilliant. The Big 12 is done and the worst case scenario would be for Texas and ou to stay in the conference given their greed and disinterest. The presidents, athletic directors, and legal counsel are smart people. I am not an attorney, but think there is a strategy to this.

This statement sets the stage for the legal battle to extract as much money from the two schools for leaving the conference. This has caused a great financial problem for all the remaining institutions and we are considering all our options, including merging with a non power conference (AAC), which will cause further loss of revenue. Texas and ou have not been transparent or acted in good faith and their actions are the direct cause of the big xii dissolving and the financial hardship this will create for the remaining institutions.

We continue to have behind the scenes discussions with other conferences and information will leak, but OSU should be silent until ou and Texas play their cards and we have a new home. B1G definitely the best for wrestling and geographic fit, but worry about some of the other sports. I would be excited for either B1G or ACC. Not as much for PAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarem
I was initially bothered by the story that the other eight Big 12 institution were considering paying Texas and ou an increase to 1.5% of the revenue in effort to keep them and other schools taking less to keep the conference intact - I thought our president and AD have to be smarter than this. After thinking about this further, I think this is brilliant. The Big 12 is done and the worst case scenario would be for Texas and ou to stay in the conference given their greed and disinterest. The presidents, athletic directors, and legal counsel are smart people. I am not an attorney, but think there is a strategy to this.

This statement sets the stage for the legal battle to extract as much money from the two schools for leaving the conference. This has caused a great financial problem for all the remaining institutions and we are considering all our options, including merging with a non power conference (AAC), which will cause further loss of revenue. Texas and ou have not been transparent or acted in good faith and their actions are the direct cause of the big xii dissolving and the financial hardship this will create for the remaining institutions.

We continue to have behind the scenes discussions with other conferences and information will leak, but OSU should be silent until ou and Texas play their cards and we have a new home. B1G definitely the best for wrestling and geographic fit, but worry about some of the other sports. I would be excited for either B1G or ACC. Not as much for PAC.
I believe you are correct on making an offer to the two turds as a sign that the rest of the conference is doing it’s best to hold it together in case this goes to court. But uo and ut will bully the conference to dissolve without paying the contractual fee of $60 million each. BTW, it is being reported that OSU voted NO on giving up our money to entice the assholes to stay. It is also being reported that the SEC is after Clemson and Florida State also. ESPN is behind all of the shenanigans that is going on.

My understanding is that the SEC is willing to pay the contractual penalty for OU and Texas to join them. I have always followed fellow conference teams when they are competing for National Championships. Daughter went to UT and was an OU fan as a kid, but that ends if they leave.

Admittedly, I’m not completely on the inside of this situation, but often when a university changes conferences, if the new conference does not offer that sport, I’ve seen the sport remain in the previous conference. I’m pretty sure OU is dedicated to wrestling. But maybe I’m missing something

I would not be sure they are dedicated to wrestling. They have a long proud history but in recent years they have slipped greatly. I hope they do for the sake of wrestling in Oklahoma but their present coach is a bust in my opinion. I think the best place to land is the Big Ten and I do think we should leave the Big 12. I think we have a lot to offer any conference including the Big Ten, more than any of the other teams that are left. We can still schedule OU in wrestling whether or not they become an affiliate. IMO the ACC is too far away and we would be like a West Virginia to the Big 12.

Reactions: gyppoke
Admittedly, I’m not completely on the inside of this situation, but often when a university changes conferences, if the new conference does not offer that sport, I’ve seen the sport remain in the previous conference. I’m pretty sure OU is dedicated to wrestling. But maybe I’m missing something
I thought Missouri wanted to remain in big XII for wrestling and that was voted down and how they ended up in MAC

I would not be sure they are dedicated to wrestling. They have a long proud history but in recent years they have slipped greatly. I hope they do for the sake of wrestling in Oklahoma but their present coach is a bust in my opinion. I think the best place to land is the Big Ten and I do think we should leave the Big 12. I think we have a lot to offer any conference including the Big Ten, more than any of the other teams that are left. We can still schedule OU in wrestling whether or not they become an affiliate. IMO the ACC is too far away and we would be like a West Virginia to the Big 12.
I would love to go the big ten and I think big ten wrestling would love OSU but will the big ten conference let us in due to us not being a particularly academic school? Could this be a situation where rules are bent? Wrestling is huge in that conference and to have a storied program like ours would be a pretty good catch.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT