ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Skiing

Pouncey8082

Recruit
Gold Member
Aug 18, 2013
Looking to go skiing this Feb. ideally first week. 2 average skiers (happy with blue but too old for black) and looking for great places. We live in OK and are happy to fly. Good night life, shopping, restaurants are important. Would love a ski in and out arrangement or something close.

anyone have any recs?

thanks

Crested Butte

Great mountain for "average skiers". Great town for meals and night life. The town is not ridiculously expensive like Aspen.
One of my “happy places” in this world. The only issue is it’s tough to get to. Basically have to drive unless you want to pay a ton to fly into Gunnison. That said, it’s not a terrible drive (12ish hours from OKC). Still, my favorite place to ski. A ton of blues to cruise on. Town is amazing as well. Some of my favorite restaurants I’ve ever been to.

I prefer it not be super crowded but that’s not a deal breaker

thanks for responses so far.

where would you stay in CB?
The Lodge at Mountaineer Sq or Elevation for more hotel like atmosphere. You can also find a lot of good AirBNB options. We have a place at WestWall Lodge which is the best IMO if you can find a spot there. Off to the end of the base and you can get on the lift out front without a ticket most of the times.

I prefer it not be super crowded but that’s not a deal breaker

thanks for responses so far.

where would you stay in CB?
If you’re looking for more night life Breck or Vail are nice. If you want a great time and not looking for too much night life Telluride is fantastic. You also don’t have the 1-70 crowds at Telluride.

I’ve never been, but I hear the resorts around Salt Lake (Snowbasin, etc) are a lot of fun. Easy to fly into Salt Lake and drive from there. Lots of stuff to do. Always wanted to go but never have.

Vail is probably my least favorite place to go, but a lot of people love it. Breck is great, but too big and crowded for me these days.

I’ve never been, but I hear the resorts around Salt Lake (Snowbasin, etc) are a lot of fun. Easy to fly into Salt Lake and drive from there. Lots of stuff to do. Always wanted to go but never have.

Vail is probably my least favorite place to go, but a lot of people love it. Breck is great, but too big and crowded for me these days.
That’s why I asked if he like crowds, anything on 70 will be rough. We’ve spent some time in SLC during the summer but have skied there yet (hear the traffic in and out of both canyons is an absolute shitshow though). Big Sky and Jackson will be my next “travel” ski trip.

Reactions: SSS!!!
Really appreciate everyone’s advice.

so many good options.

my main priority is easy to get to. Easy ski in/out. Fun night life/restaurants. Happy to UBER but not super interested in having a car.

If flying into Aspen, salt lake, or gunnison (for CB is best) then that’s great. The ease and quality is most important over the cost.

so many good options.

my main priority is easy to get to. Easy ski in/out. Fun night life/restaurants. Happy to UBER but not super interested in having a car.

If flying into Aspen, salt lake, or gunnison (for CB is best) then that’s great. The ease and quality is most important over the cost.
If that’s the case, I would do Park City/Deer Valley if you’re going to SLC.

Reactions: Mr. Blonde
We love Breck. Easy drive from Denver if you want to fly in there. You can rent a place on the northside of downtown and park your car. You can walk to the gondola that takes you up the mountain to ski, and walk to the restaurants and bars.

so many good options.

Then fly into Aspen and go to Snowmass.

Lots of nice wide long rollers.

Deer Valley - if you love to ski, hate boarders, and enjoy 1st class service and the price tag that comes with it. There’s nothing like it.

Also love Powder Mountain, an old-school local resort with an 80s facility vibe, good prices, and some of the best skiing in Utah. Which means the world.

PS we fly to Salt Lake instead of Denver to ski….even though Denver is closer the extra time it takes to deal with I70 means quicker to utah snow with less road rage. Crowds are less than CO, and the snow generally better.

Reactions: kruxter and SSS!!!
Deer Valley - if you love to ski, hate boarders, and enjoy 1st class service and the price tag that comes with it. There’s nothing like it.

Also love Powder Mountain, an old-school local resort with an 80s facility vibe, good prices, and some of the best skiing in Utah. Which means the world.

PS we fly to Salt Lake instead of Denver to ski….even though Denver is closer the extra time it takes to deal with I70 means quicker to utah snow with less road rage. Crowds are less than CO, and the snow generally better.

I70 west of Denver is a total shitshow far too often. Don’t blame you for your strategy.

Thoughts on ski gear? Base gear we are set. Thoughts on best brand for outer jacket and gloves? We ultimately decided on Aspen. Thanks for all your advice.

Thoughts on ski gear? Base gear we are set. Thoughts on best brand for outer jacket and gloves? We ultimately decided on Aspen. Thanks for all your advice.
My favorite way to go is shell coat and pants. Then get good midlayers for both top and bottom. That way you can shed layers if you need to. Anything that is truly waterproof for the shells is fine. I go Patagonia for midlayer, but anything mid to high end is fine. Ski gear is just something I won’t go cheap on, but, it sucks, it’s expensive.

There are four mountains to ski in the Roaring Fork Valley…all very different. Do your research and be honest about the groups ability.

It’s a great place to ski, but can be miserable if a bunch of novice to average skiers end up in The Highlands. Same can be said if a bunch of good to really good skiers end up on Buttermilk.

Snowmass has something for everyone as it’s the biggest mountain by far…but also the busiest.

There are four mountains to ski in the Roaring Fork Valley…all very different. Do your research and be honest about the groups ability.

It’s a great place to ski, but can be miserable if a bunch of novice to average skiers end up in The Highlands. Same can be said if a bunch of good to really good skiers end up on Buttermilk.

Snowmass has something for everyone as it’s the biggest mountain by far…but also the busiest.
Was talking to my wife last night about taking her to A-Basin and we were looking at the map and she said fine but for only one day. She knows her limits.

Just got back from Wolf Creek. Really great place IMO if you have a family. The mountain isn't overwhelmingly big. It is about as affordable as skiing can be.

I’m a big fan of Spyder gear, especially ski pants. I have some Cabala’s gloves that are Goretex and I think they are amazing.

Just got back from Wolf Creek. Really great place IMO if you have a family. The mountain isn't overwhelmingly big. It is about as affordable as skiing can be.
Yeah it’s a great little mountain, we try to head over a few times a year and love the chutes under the Alberta Lift. It SUCKS if you get caught in a blizzard though.

My favorite way to go is shell coat and pants. Then get good midlayers for both top and bottom. That way you can shed layers if you need to. Anything that is truly waterproof for the shells is fine. I go Patagonia for midlayer, but anything mid to high end is fine. Ski gear is just something I won’t go cheap on, but, it sucks, it’s expensive.
Layering is 1000% the way to go. I have a couple of North Face pants, a Burton shell, and Patagonia and North Face for layers.

Reactions: SSS!!!
Layering is 1000% the way to go. I have a couple of North Face pants, a Burton shell, and Patagonia and North Face for layers.
Absolutely. I used to use insulated coats and pants only. My buddy a few years ago let me use his shells and midlayers. Never looked back. Best way to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT