ADVERTISEMENT

Win Magazine Preseason Rankings

osu2082

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
Nothing major but it's a little wrestling talk... Win magazine released their preseason season rankings and the cowboys came in as the preseason favorite to win it all in March.

This didn't factor in any FR or RSFR.

AD and Crutch were preseason #1, Heil is at #2, Mardsen is at #5, Collica is at #7 and Kilmara came in at #8.

Ohio St, Iowa, PSU and VT in that order rounded out the top 5.

Reactions: stonewall45
The article says these projections do not include freshman or redshirt freshman. Can those of you that follow the sport more closely give some feedback on which freshman or redshirt freshman may have an impact on the top 5 teams?
Really can only speculate on OK State. With Anthony going down to 149 this year most people speculate that Chance Marsteller will be the redshirt freshman that will be at 157. However, last year when wrestling at this weight he was not successful and a lot of his team-mates including Collica were beating him in the room. If he makes the weight pull right he could be a major factor but if not possibly another red shirt freshman like Ryan Blees might be at that weight. Red shirt Chandler Rogers is highly skilled but with Dierenger a two time champion returning at 165 and Kyle Crutchmer an All-American at 174 he may have to wait another year. At this point I do not foresee him moving to 184 where he would have to beat out Nolan Boyd. Red shirt freshman Dusty Hone at 133/141 would be hard pressed to push Gary Harding at 133 or Dean Heil (All-American) out of the lineup. Preston Weigel is in the mix at 197 and he is a red shirt freshman. We have Luke Bean and Austin Schafer at this weight and I have heard some talk that Bean might be the man to beat although his last year record doesn't show it. We also have true freshman Andrew Marsden who at this point we do not know if he will remain at 197 or start bulking up to 285 where his brother is a senior.
We have star power in freshman lower weights in Kaid Brock at 133 and Boo Lewallen at 141 along with Tristan Moran and Lincoln Olson. Nick Piccininni at 125 is expected to redshirt this year behind Eddie Klimara and take over this weight next year Joe Smith has been formidable at 160 in high school but is expected to red shirt at 149/157 and then either be a starter in the future at 149 or 157 depending upon his growth and where Collica wrestles as a senior.

The above is all speculation from this fan and as usual good be wrong in many instances. We have a lot of depth every where but heavy weight and many of the wrestlers I have not mentioned could definitely be pushing the expected starters.

The article says these projections do not include freshman or redshirt freshman. Can those of you that follow the sport more closely give some feedback on which freshman or redshirt freshman may have an impact on the top 5 teams?

There are more knowedgeable fans than me but freshman make contributions every year. OSU may have them at 133, 157, and 197. I am sure Ohio st. And Penn state will have someone.

CM came back in shape and as of now is in a great place phsyically and mentally. He is carrying about 10-12 pounds less than he was last year.

I also think another RS will be in the lineup at 197. As his offense improves he will have a chance to be very good.

CM came back in shape and as of now is in a great place phsyically and mentally. He is carrying about 10-12 pounds less than he was last year.

I also think another RS will be in the lineup at 197. As his offense improves he will have a chance to be very good.
As FS a the top teams go, PSU will see the biggest bump from freshman. They will have Nolfcat 157, he took third last year at the scuffle and defeated CM this summer in FS. At 165 the could haver Corey Shakur, there have been good reports about him, but he might get have outgrown the weight. Bo Nickal will be at 174 and he looked good before he got injured at the scuffle. Heavyweight Nick Nevills was the top ia expected to do well in a weight that has cleared out. The three Ns(Nolf, Nevills, and Nickal) were all top 10 overall recruits 2 years ago. Shakur was an under the radar guy from NY who has really impressed some folks. They also have Cassar at 197 who could make some noise, but he will be behind McIntosh for another year.

At iowa they have Sam Stoll a Greco junior world team member coming in at Hwt. 141 could see TF and iowa native Vince Turk. The hope though is Brody Grothus is able to make a healthy cut to 141. I belive 165 is going to be Burke Paddock who beat Ryan Blees their senior year..

Ohio St. might see Coach Tom Ryan's son, Jake, go at 149 if Hunter Steiber can go at 141. I think Bo Jordan's brother is in line to start at 157 this year. Thomas Gaibes a top 10 overall recruit from PA could go at hwt if he beats Tavabello, but he was injured last year and I'm not sure what the recovery is/was. They also have to fill in for kyle Snyder at 197 and I have no clue who that might be.

I'm sure I missed some and confused some spots, but that should cover most of the top 4.

Reactions: oberebo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT