ADVERTISEMENT

Will Oklahoma State football opponents continue to avoid throwing at Korie Black?

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

Will Oklahoma State football opponents continue to avoid throwing at Korie Black?​

Portrait of Scott WrightScott Wright
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Korie Black quickly offered a confident affirmation when asked if he’s the fastest player on the Oklahoma State football team.

The super-senior cornerback simply hopes Cowboy fans don’t have to see him showing off that speed.

“If I’m using it, that means I’m beat,” said Black, who is in his starting cornerback role for the third straight year.

“Luckily I don’t have to use a lot of it while I’m covering. I try to cover with angles so it kind of slows the game down. I don’t have to use too much of my speed.”

Looking beyond this year, Black’s speed, combined with his 6-foot, 190-pound body and proven coverage skills will make him a potential NFL Draft selection — of which OSU could have a good number next April.

74625436007-osu-30.jpg

But more importantly for the season ahead, Black will once again anchor the secondary, where he became a player opposing offenses were constantly aware of.

Black’s receiver was targeted just 35 times all year and quarterbacks completed just 45.7% of those attempts for 264 yards.

If Black once again receives that type of respect and offenses continue to attack the opposite side of the field, that’s where OSU’s cornerback depth will be tested.

Cam Smith and Kale Smith — who are not related, though Cam Smith is the older brother of safety Dylan Smith — will be the primary options across the field from Black, and each played a considerable number of snaps last year.

Cam Smith has been a starter for much of the last two seasons after getting forced into action because of injuries in 2022, and he grew up quickly.

“I’m trusting my technique more,” Cam said. “Trusting my coaches and believing in the technique they’re teaching me.”

73186789007-osu-fb-26.jpg

While the Cowboys enter the season with three experienced cornerbacks, finding a fourth remains a key task in preseason camp.

Kenneth Harris Jr. redshirted after transferring from Arkansas State last year, and could work his way into the rotation, or a younger player could emerge at some point.

As camp rolls along, one of the most important developmental opportunities for backup cornerbacks has been facing OSU’s own receiver group.

“It’s a good thing for the corners and really all the defensive backs because you get a little bit of everything,” Black said. “Brennan Presley is small and quick, slippery. Rashod (Owens) is big and physical. (De’Zhaun Stribling) is a really smart receiver who knows how to run routes well. You really can pick your poison on what you want to work on.”

2024 Oklahoma State cornerback depth chart​

Name, Class, Ht., Wt., Hometown (Previous school)

The starters

• Korie Black, Sr.*, 6-0, 190, Waco, Texas (Connally)
  • Cam Smith, RJr., 6-0, 190, Little Elm, Texas (Braswell)
The reserves

• Kale Smith, RJr., 6-0, 175, Midwest City
  • Kenneth Harris Jr., RSr., 6-0, 195, Columbia, Louisiana (Arkansas State)
  • R.J. Lester, RFr., 6-3, 185, Fort Smith, Arkansas (North)
  • De’kelvion Beamon, RJr., 6-1, 200, Shreveport, Louisiana (Huntington)

Reactions: OSU_Sports_Nut
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.