ADVERTISEMENT

Will CNG ever be mainstream?

csh

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I never seem to hear it mentioned in talks about about energy and such. I'm told it has a higher octane rating, burns cleaner, longer engine life (less soot and carbon buildup), better mileage, etc. Is it just an infrastructure issue, e.g. the benefits can't overcome the cost of a large scale build of infrastructure?

It's not just the cost of the infrastructure, it is a fossil fuel and that is a deal breaker to many to justify building new infrastructure for when you can build electric charging infrastructure. (NOT MY VIEW , just the view of many)

Regarding infrastructure, I figure any current gas station could be retrofitted or simply have more CNG pumps put in. But I assume the CNG tanks are more complex/expensive given that they have to hold pressure. It probably costs more than I imagine. For large scale EV adoption, I assume you'd have to add transmission lines to the power grid. Then you think about last week's ice storm we're still recovering from.

Reactions: OSUIvan
Doesn't the whole electrical grid need to be basically replaced? That's where an infrastructure bill needs to be used.

Not the same old bridges and roads bs. That's just seems like a forever ongoing project that no one is interested in actually finishing. Just keep adding more projects and more bills.

Also what is the breakdown on waste when these batteries go bad in 10 years. Can't imagine they're very environmentally friendly.

Doesn't the whole electrical grid need to be basically replaced? That's where an infrastructure bill needs to be used.

Not the same old bridges and roads bs. That's just seems like a forever ongoing project that no one is interested in actually finishing. Just keep adding more projects and more bills.

Also what is the breakdown on waste when these batteries go bad in 10 years. Can't imagine they're very environmentally friendly.
When people talk about fossil fuels they only discuss the negatives. When people talk about renewables they only discuss the positives.

I'm under the impression that lithium ion batteries can be recycled. Now if we're talking environmental impact on mining the lithium, then I don't know anything on that. FWIW, Musk says the end of life car batteries can be re-used in less demanding storage applications, such as storing energy from solar generation. That said, R&D into battery tech is probably the key for continuing adoption of EVs.

Reactions: CowboyPhil
My dad's career has been in power, and while he may not say that the grid need's replacement, he say's its overall condition is weakening. Public Utility Commissions and other forces favor low power rates over preemptive maintenance projects and such. To complicate things, many on those commissions don't have tech backgrounds. The lights come on, so what's the problem?

Someone point me in the direction of good place to start investing in battery power charging stations. I think eventually that will be the way to go.

Also, I think the guy in the commercial that's running on this site for me that's delivering his wife/Gf a plate of spaghetti that I couldn't finish on a paper plate needs to be castrated so he can't breed. Just my observation.

I am/was/am a believer in electric cars and owned a Tesla. The biggest problem that I had was the lack of freedom and the anxiety of finding a charging station for longer trips and the time to recharge. This is an issue that will be hard to overcome for a majority of Americans.

I am/was/am a believer in electric cars and owned a Tesla. The biggest problem that I had was the lack of freedom and the anxiety of finding a charging station for longer trips and the time to recharge. This is an issue that will be hard to overcome for a majority of Americans.

This is going to be a big issue for America is road trips. Daily commuting isn't going to be a big deal, it's going to be the big vacations like the one my family took in October to Panama City a 15 hour drive in a gas van, would have taken 18 hours according to Telsas web site. 3 more hours with a 2 and 4 year old.... NO THANKS!

I'm under the impression that lithium ion batteries can be recycled. Now if we're talking environmental impact on mining the lithium, then I don't know anything on that. FWIW, Musk says the end of life car batteries can be re-used in less demanding storage applications, such as storing energy from solar generation. That said, R&D into battery tech is probably the key for continuing adoption of EVs.

The cobalt they use to make the batteries is mined by 8 year-olds who are forced to use their bare hands and have never known a day of freedom in their entire life. Until Cobalt-free lithium ion batteries are mainstream, it's a serious human rights problem.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
This is going to be a big issue for America is road trips. Daily commuting isn't going to be a big deal, it's going to be the big vacations like the one my family took in October to Panama City a 15 hour drive in a gas van, would have taken 18 hours according to Telsas web site. 3 more hours with a 2 and 4 year old.... NO THANKS!
And there will never be a way to charge an electric car in 5 minutes like refueling a gasoline car. There is a place for electric vehicles but there is no way they overtake the combustion engine. I think only 1-2% of vehicles are electric and I think the ceiling is 10%.

There will never be a way to charge an electric car in 5 minutes?

I think that we are probably about 5 years from seeing the benefits of this technology. EC will definitely exceed 10%.

There will never be a way to charge an electric car in 5 minutes?

I think that we are probably about 5 years from seeing the benefits of this technology. EC will definitely exceed 10%.

Unfortunately possible and economical are often not in the same ballpark.

I hope they can take many of those ideas to a point of inexpensive manufacturing but sadly many inventions go nowhere because they can’t attain that holy grail.

Reactions: Colorado_Poke
The cobalt they use to make the batteries is mined by 8 year-olds who are forced to use their bare hands and have never known a day of freedom in their entire life. Until Cobalt-free lithium ion batteries are mainstream, it's a serious human rights problem.
LeBron and other like minded liberals do not care about kids/adults being abused and treated as modern day slaves. They only care about money and power

San Francisco has banned natural gas in all new homes and commercials buildings. CNG will never be widely accepted.

• Wow
San Francisco has banned natural gas in all new homes and commercials buildings. CNG will never be widely accepted.
They don’t need natural gas. Although, one wonders how they cook food on an electric wok?

They don’t need natural gas. Although, one wonders how they cook food on an electric wok?
If that's true, I suppose you could use a propane tank - unless they're trying to block the burning of any gas for any purpose?

If that's true, I suppose you could use a propane tank - unless they're trying to block the burning of any gas for any purpose?

Burning gas is bad for the environment and unhealthy for humans, according to the people that support it.

Makes a lot of sense for a place that doesn’t have enough electricity to begin with to add more load while preventing people from cooking or having hot water during the inevitable power losses.

I actually think that if CNG vehicles will survive, we will move away from refueling at a public station, and move to CNG refueling on demand at home.

We already have natural gas plumbed to most houses, and air conditioners units are gas compressors. So fundamentally we have the technology for residential on demand CNG generation.

I think that’s the way it will go, if it does go mainstream, it will be with on-demand CNG generation.

So is the gold used iPhones to type these messages.

Burning gas is bad for the environment and unhealthy for humans, according to the people that support it.

Makes a lot of sense for a place that doesn’t have enough electricity to begin with to add more load while preventing people from cooking or having hot water during the inevitable power losses.
We have more than enough electricity. Hell. With the wind often we have too much

I actually think that if CNG vehicles will survive, we will move away from refueling at a public station, and move to CNG refueling on demand at home.

We already have natural gas plumbed to most houses, and air conditioners units are gas compressors. So fundamentally we have the technology for residential on demand CNG generation.

I think that’s the way it will go, if it does go mainstream, it will be with on-demand CNG generation.
You can already get this done at your house if you desire.

What do you guys think about hydrogen fuel cells... the combustion product is just water.

What do you guys think about hydrogen fuel cells... the combustion product is just water.
It's been a long time since I've read up on this, so things may have evolved a bit. That said, I believe the challenge lies in a safe way to store the hydrogen while on the vehicle. H2 gas is incredibly explosive, and requires a heavy/strong/expensive tank for safety. This added weight, complexity, and issues with overall safety counters a lot of the benefits. A method for storing/saturating hydrogen into a solid state medium has been developed, and is presumably much safer than hauling around dangerous H2 gas. However, the catch here is that it takes some crazy high temperature (~900 degF) to release the hydrogen from the media for consumption. There are also reformers that can split H2 gas out of natural gas, but that still kinda puts you back where you started with the need to consume a fossil fuel. However, the reformer to fuel cell would be a pretty clean way to utilize natural gas, vs burning it in a combustion engine.

It's been a long time since I've read up on this, so things may have evolved a bit. That said, I believe the challenge lies in a safe way to store the hydrogen while on the vehicle. H2 gas is incredibly explosive, and requires a heavy/strong/expensive tank for safety. This added weight, complexity, and issues with overall safety counters a lot of the benefits. A method for storing/saturating hydrogen into a solid state medium has been developed, and is presumably much safer than hauling around dangerous H2 gas. However, the catch here is that it takes some crazy high temperature (~900 degF) to release the hydrogen from the media for consumption. There are also reformers that can split H2 gas out of natural gas, but that still kinda puts you back where you started with the need to consume a fossil fuel. However, the reformer to fuel cell would be a pretty clean way to utilize natural gas, vs burning it in a combustion engine.
The other major issue with hydrogen (as I understand it) is that it takes a significant amount of energy to produce as compared to how much energy the end product will provide.

Reactions: AlphPistolPete
The other major issue with hydrogen (as I understand it) is that it takes a significant amount of energy to produce as compared to how much energy the end product will provide.
You could be right. If the safe storage problem could get solved, you could let those wind generators spin around the clock and generate/store H2. As it stands now, the wind generators only spin if there is a demand for their power. There's no storage on the grid.

You could be right. If the safe storage problem could get solved, you could let those wind generators spin around the clock and generate/store H2. As it stands now, the wind generators only spin if there is a demand for their power. There's no storage on the grid.
Shit no those wind generators spin regardless of demand. The gas units and other regulating units back down if demand is low. They will take the time wind whenever they can get it

Does Toyota still sell a hydrogen/fuel cell car in California? It was like an Avalon but with a different name

Shit no those wind generators spin regardless of demand. The gas units and other regulating units back down if demand is low. They will take the time wind whenever they can get it
Agreed, if both gas and wind units are owned by the same utility, then wind would be utilized to its fullest extent. If independent producers are involved, they may operate under some form of price or sale agreement, as no investor would build a gas fired plant that wouldn't sell power on a windy day.

Agreed, if both gas and wind units are owned by the same utility, then wind would be utilized to its fullest extent. If independent producers are involved, they may operate under some form of price or sale agreement, as no investor would build a gas fired plant that wouldn't sell power on a windy day.
The cost of wind is so cheap it never backs down unless there are constraints on the grid. It’s a lot cheaper than gas. The gas unit move based on the remaining load fluctuations

The cost of wind is so cheap it never backs down unless there are constraints on the grid. It’s a lot cheaper than gas. The gas unit move based on the remaining load fluctuations
Right. And one of those constraints on the grid can be a contractual one, as opposed to a physical one.

Right. And one of those constraints on the grid can be a contractual one, as opposed to a physical one.
I guess. Currently all gen at least in the Midwest (most of it) is in a marketplace. So they balance all the generation based on economics and physical constraints. Wind will get cut if there’s a loaded element but besides that it doesn’t usually get touched. There have been days that wind is around 75 or 80% of the load.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT