ADVERTISEMENT

Why it isn't going to work

Ahhhh to be young and invincible again. Sports will start after these kids totally disobey the guidelines and the proof becomes evident that the whole world will not fall apart and die. They are doing their part to solve the problem.

Now if this was happening at a Nursing home, then we would have some casualties. Although, it may be a very popular nursing home. :)

Ahhhh to be young and invincible again. Sports will start after these kids totally disobey the guidelines and the proof becomes evident that the whole world will not fall apart and die. They are doing their part to solve the problem.

Now if this was happening at a Nursing home, then we would have some casualties. Although, it may be a very popular nursing home. :)
hoping you are right. But skeptical.

Reactions: lookleft goright
hoping you are right. But skeptical.
If you expect college kids to factor in the fears and paranoias of 60 year old bureaucrats and administrators into their Saturday night back to school plans, you're expecting too much.

I see a bunch of kids with an accurate and healthy assessment of their risk level living their lives in a reasonable and natural manner.

It’s great news potentially for spring sports. Not good in the short term for the few remaining fall sports slated to try and start.

It’s great news potentially for spring sports. Not good in the short term for the few remaining fall sports slated to try and start.
Again, I say Football for the Big 12 apparently will start but I am highly pessimistic it will not continue after a couple of weeks and cases start showing up. Young people may not worry because of how they react but They should take all of the precautions for their parents, grandparents and others even if we are "Paranoid". I do not agree with your "assessment" 100 tons of orange fury. This is a VERY dangerous disease and the heart problems it may cause hits every age group.

If you expect college kids to factor in the fears and paranoias of 60 year old bureaucrats and administrators into their Saturday night back to school plans, you're expecting too much.

I see a bunch of kids with an accurate and healthy assessment of their risk level living their lives in a reasonable and natural manner.
I did not expect much different, maybe a little hesitation and common sense used in the back to school parties.

As far as their assessment of their risk level, I doubt if that was taken into consideration. What are they risking?
1. Healthwise, the odds are with them-the majority will feel like they have a cold-meanwhile potentially spreading to others. Doing their part to develop herd immunity - or killing the roommate with underlying conditions, just for a chance to get laid and have a hangover. You never know which is going to be true.
2. The last night out for a while. City commission will probably close bars at their meeting tonight, as well as potentially restaraunts. So we have house parties from now on out.
3. Classes-when it shuts down, and they send them home again...what will that mean for the merchants in Stillwater? Don't think you want to find out.
4. Sports-the big 12 operates on statistics. More positive tests, the less chance we have sports.

So IMO, they are risking a BUNCH-but most probably gave those items no thought. They are young. Lack experience, and their critical thought patterns aren't well developed yet. But will be the first to protest when everything shuts down!

At least tons is consistent. He has been lecturing the corral for months on this topic. Glad he could make time to share it over here also.

At least tons is consistent. He has been lecturing the corral for months on this topic. Glad he could make time to share it over here also.
No problem amigo.

And for the board elder oberebo, I'd ask you to read the thread on the Corral regarding heart problems, or lack thereof, and the risk assessment for 18-24 year old kids before castigating their behavior. Your problems and my problems are not their problems, IMO it is not for us to dictate how young, virtually risk-free kids get to live their lives.

Reactions: DPJ
Why is there such a huge deal made about this vs. tuberculosis... Tb kills far more people per year, correct? TB has no vaccine.. the only course of treatment is antibiotics or stronger antibiotics.. Tb spreads through the air... Once a person tests positive to TB they will always test positive, regardless if they show any symptoms.. Isnt covid very similar to a mix between a flu and TB? I understand that there are some that are more vulnerable than others to covid... those people should wear a mask when they go out or stay home.. For everyone else, the world will continue to spin and life will go on.. is it possible that the only way to watch sporting events in the future is everyone must wear a mask? very possible... is it possible that pay per view will need to change itself into a more viable option... sure... there is a big shift right now as there seem to be people that find this entire thing to be a overblown, media driven, fear based attempt to control aspects of consumerism and society vs. people who are scared to death of dying from covid or having someone they love get it and die.

Reactions: thosick
No problem amigo.

And for the board elder oberebo, I'd ask you to read the thread on the Corral regarding heart problems, or lack thereof, and the risk assessment for 18-24 year old kids before castigating their behavior. Your problems and my problems are not their problems, IMO it is not for us to dictate how young, virtually risk-free kids get to live their lives.
As I indicated their problems are everyone's problems whether they are symtomatic or not they can spread the virus and it is for the adults who should be telling them that. My children and grandchildren certainly follow distancing and masking procedures as should any responsible person. The thread on the corral is not where I would go to get my medical information. I can also tell you that I am not the only resident elder that posts on this board.

Reactions: NCcowboy
As I indicated their problems are everyone's problems whether they are symtomatic or not they can spread the virus and it is for the adults who should be telling them that. My children and grandchildren certainly follow distancing and masking procedures as should any responsible person. The thread on the corral is not where I would go to get my medical information. I can also tell you that I am not the only resident elder that posts on this board.
If you don't want a very, very detailed account from a Mayo clinic cardiologist advising the Big12 on heart risks to college athletics, don't read it.

Your problems are not their problems. Read more research and watch CNN less.

Reactions: lookleft goright
If you don't want a very, very detailed account from a Mayo clinic cardiologist advising the Big12 on heart risks to college athletics, don't read it.

Look, I did not want to turn this into a political but CNN is only one of the majority of the media sans Fox that gives real information and not just you want to hear. Since when do we value Sports and football Fans on advice or information on medical issues and one Mayo Clinic Cardiologist does not change my opinion. You are entitled to your opinions as that is all that mine are-Opinions. My Opinion based on a love of all sports, is that we need to get this virus under control and thus more quickly get back to the important things like watching and cheering for all our sports heroes. I hope that your point is that we should not pay attention to the age 65 and older as they don't count as they are not playing the game and I do not in any way mean to infer that is your point. My opinion bottom line is that postponing the enjoyment of all sports in the short run will lead to full seasons and better health for all. I do understand that I tend to be pessimistic and I do believe starting football will in the long run will be detrimental to my sports enjoyment. You seem to imply I am not very well read which I know not to be true.

Look, I did not want to turn this into a political but CNN is only one of the majority of the media sans Fox that gives real information and not just you want to hear. Since when do we value Sports and football Fans on advice or information on medical issues and one Mayo Clinic Cardiologist does not change my opinion. You are entitled to your opinions as that is all that mine are-Opinions. My Opinion based on a love of all sports, is that we need to get this virus under control and thus more quickly get back to the important things like watching and cheering for all our sports heroes. I hope that your point is that we should not pay attention to the age 65 and older as they don't count as they are not playing the game and I do not in any way mean to infer that is your point. My opinion bottom line is that postponing the enjoyment of all sports in the short run will lead to full seasons and better health for all. I do understand that I tend to be pessimistic and I do believe starting football will in the long run will be detrimental to my sports enjoyment. You seem to imply I am not very well read which I know not to be true.
It is great that we all pitch in and help each other and try to lighten the burden of others. But it seems unreasonable to make everyone lockdown or distance or live a life of fear when only a small % of people are really at risk. Those that are at risk should be taking special precautions, but to expect everyone to stop living seems a bit overboard.
If you think CNN is one of many places giving real info. then I am sorry for you.

Reactions: Kingk0ng
It is great that we all pitch in and help each other and try to lighten the burden of others. But it seems unreasonable to make everyone lockdown or distance or live a life of fear when only a small % of people are really at risk. Those that are at risk should be taking special precautions, but to expect everyone to stop living seems a bit overboard.
If you think CNN is one of many places giving real info. then I am sorry for you.
Frankly, I do not need your pity and I will not prolong this discussion. I have had my say and if I am right my overboard opinions will be proved true. I have no confidence we will play a full season and wrestling which is my favorite is just a pipe dream.

So you take a swipe at Obe about research & CNN -- after you completely dodged alex1fly's reply to you in the '20-21 season' thread? Impressive.

No problem amigo.

The reality is that very few of the kids will get sick-at least any more than the common cold.

The other part of that reality is the world (read politicians) aren't operating in the real world. All of this is based upon those that test positive-even if they never show symptoms. The more positive tests, the less chance of sports happening.

Sorry if I can't explain it better.

Reactions: osu2082
The reality is that very few of the kids will get sick-at least any more than the common cold.

The other part of that reality is the world (read politicians) aren't operating in the real world. All of this is based upon those that test positive-even if they never show symptoms. The more positive tests, the less chance of sports happening.

Sorry if I can't explain it better.
I agree with that totally.

Frankly, I do not need your pity and I will not prolong this discussion. I have had my say and if I am right my overboard opinions will be proved true. I have no confidence we will play a full season and wrestling which is my favorite is just a pipe dream.
I have my doubts that we will have a full season also. Just to be clear- I was not giving you my pity.

I would not be concerned about the wrestlers, but we must be concerned about the welfare of our nation. Hopefully we get a vaccine late in the year or early next year and we can have a wrestling season. It may be delayed, but I want it bad.

Reactions: NCcowboy
I would not be concerned about the wrestlers, but we must be concerned about the welfare of our nation. Hopefully we get a vaccine late in the year or early next year and we can have a wrestling season. It may be delayed, but I want it bad.
That would be the bright spot if we had a vaccine. A spring season would be great to look forward to!

Reactions: OSUMatFan
I think things will still work out. I was just up there and beyond the initial outbreak due to Sorority Rush, things seem to have calmed down. Campus wasn't near as full as it could be and beyond a couple of folks it seemed like everyone was wearing a mask and socially distancing. I think they should have kept folks on campus back in the spring but that's just me. Folks just cant knee jerk reaction and panic anytime someone gets it. Covid isn't Aids. In 99% of the cases it's still a common cold.

If you are tying your hopes to a vaccine you might as well start taking a sugar shot and calling it a vaccine. That placebo will probably be just as effective. I say this because 1) less than 50% of the people will probably take the vaccine so that's likely not enough to kill it off and 2) these viruses have a tendency to mutate, so the vaccine that works today may not work next week. The hope is as it mutates it become less dangerous and thus just a common cold.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT