ADVERTISEMENT

Why are coaches wearing masks?

Sebastian

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I’m all for wearing a mask during the pandemic, it is a minor inconvenience and Ill do it.

I don’t understand why coaches who are being tested at the same rate as players each week are required to wear a mask during the game and players that are next to them on the sideline don’t have the same mask protocol.

Doesn’t make sense at all. Is it just PR optics or is there some medical guidance that has decided coaches are more contagious than players?

Optics, mostly. Also an acknowledgement that most of them are in (very slightly) higher risk categories.

I’m all for wearing a mask during the pandemic, it is a minor inconvenience and Ill do it.

I don’t understand why coaches who are being tested at the same rate as players each week are required to wear a mask during the game and players that are next to them on the sideline don’t have the same mask protocol.

Doesn’t make sense at all. Is it just PR optics or is there some medical guidance that has decided coaches are more contagious than players?
if one of the people in a group is wearing one, that person is far less likely to transmit or receive the virus.

if one of the people in a group is wearing one, that person is far less likely to transmit or receive the virus.
BeCaUsE sCiEnCe
mocking-spongebob-1024x522.jpg

Last edited:
Op I suspect every university that has highly visible employees on scheduled national or even regional television have been advised to wear a mask while representing the university. Hope that helps.

Reactions: givemapoke
Op I suspect every university that has highly visible employees on scheduled national or even regional television have been advised to wear a mask while representing the university. Hope that helps.
That doesn’t really make sense but thanks anyway.

With This corona virus (common cold strain), the media,
China and political hacks (election year oust Trump), have us running scared and those who do not adhere to the scam get punished- 99.5 plus percent survival rate- it’s the biggest freaking joke I’ve ever seen. Can’t believe our country lines up and takes the bend over scam The media has put on us- unreal sad.

Roberto appreciates “The optics” of his new secretary Candy folks! Gotta Gotta Satisfy! Roberto likes Sebastian's use of the word optics. Reminds him of Booger McFarland's extensive vocabulary catch phrases like Physicality and Trickeration

Last edited:
China and political hacks (election year oust Trump), have us running scared and those who do not adhere to the scam get punished- 99.5 plus percent survival rate- it’s the biggest freaking joke I’ve ever seen. Can’t believe our country lines up and takes the bend over scam The media has put on us- unreal sad.

Yes almost the entire world agreed to take the pandemic serious in a master plan to oust the mighty Donald Trump. Cant believe the Dems have managed to get all world powers on board.... Jeff summed it up best. Its probably for optics but they are at higher risk than the guys on the field. Masks absolutely do work and stop the spread of the virus but don't make a lot of sense here since everyone involved is tested constantly.

200,000 dead people in 7 months wish they could say damn right!

Yes almost the entire world agreed to take the pandemic serious in a master plan to oust the mighty Donald Trump. Cant believe the Dems have managed to get all world powers on board.... Jeff summed it up best. Its probably for optics but they are at higher risk than the guys on the field. Masks absolutely do work and stop the spread of the virus but don't make a lot of sense here since everyone involved is tested constantly.
They don’t stop the spread.

I'm all for wearing masks outside and in general I'm very pro-mask. However, I have the same comment... it's pretty futile and unnecessary for coaches to wear masks, especially since they move them down when they yell etc.

Wearing a mask outside is utter insanity. I say that as a Physician.

It's definitely optics. Saw an analyst covering a golf event playing on ESPN when I was at a restaurant. She was standing about 8-10 feet away from her camera guy in the middle of a green on what appeared to be an empty golf course wearing a mask.

I don't think so in my situation. I live in a condo building, so I have to wear a mask in the hallway and elevator. I walk on the sidewalk to the pharmacy, grocery, etc and I think it's dumb to take the mask off, walk a few blocks maskless and then put it back on. Its not that big a deal to wear it the whole way.

I live in Chicago and walking on sidewalks etc can get crowded... so I wear one. Most likely it doesn't help much but it doesn't hurt.
Chicago? A bullet proof vest would be more appropriate than a mask! Right?

Just kidding (kinda). Love Chicago. But, the number of shootings there, in certain areas every weekend, is insane!

Chicago? A bullet proof vest would be more appropriate than a mask! Right?

Just kidding (kinda). Love Chicago. But, the number of shootings there, in certain areas every weekend, is insane!

The gun violence here is awful. Little kids being shot walking home from school. The city and state have passed laws restricting handgun sales, but it's 10 miles to the Indiana border where its easy to get a gun.

Reactions: Chris 15
The gun violence here is awful. Little kids being shot walking home from school. The city and state have passed laws restricting handgun sales, but it's 10 miles to the Indiana border where its easy to get a gun.
Let me preface this by saying Chicago is one of my all-time favorite cities. That being said, I highly doubt the people committing these acts of violence are obtaining guns legally across state lines.

Let me preface this by saying Chicago is one of my all-time favorite cities. That being said, I highly doubt the people committing these acts of violence are obtaining guns legally across state lines.

I love living here... never plan to leave.

Here's a WSJ article looking into where the guns in Chicago come from:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/report-finds-most-guns-used-in-chicago-crimes-come-from-outside-city-1509310489#:~:text=CHICAGO—Most guns used in,a new report released Sunday.

You're right in the sense that the people doing the shooting are likely not the ones driving to Indiana to get the guns. Someone else buys and then sells, distributes to the folks in the gangs. They're called "straw purchases."

Mississippi is another source.https://www.clarionledger.com/story...-crime-violence-gangs-trafficking/1898930001/

Reactions: CowboyJD
Yep. Just proved the optics theory. They were showing and talking about Ozzie Newsome in his suite on the Ravens game. The camera was outside of his suite and no telling how far away. He has his mask down, but then looks right at the camera like someone said something into an earpiece and immediately pulled his mask up

I'm all for wearing masks outside and in general I'm very pro-mask. However, I have the same comment... it's pretty futile and unnecessary for coaches to wear masks, especially since they move them down when they yell etc.
Report today that 66 percent (give or take N95 masks) are faulty- the mask thing is a big freaking joke

I live in Chicago and walking on sidewalks etc can get crowded... so I wear one. Most likely it doesn't help much but it doesn't hurt.
Just my strong opinion- but God intended us to breath in oxygen and definitely not breath In our waste- respectfully disagreeing with your “can’t hurt” comment. Daughter is Speech path and they make them wear masks and a shield all day- she now has migraines daily and rarely used to have any. Frustrating

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT