ADVERTISEMENT

Wheel of Time TV series

SouthWestOKPoke

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
wow, I have not read the books, but have heard good things (other than being to long) and would love to see a TV series of it.

Interesting. I'm sure every content creator has given their programming people the edict to find the next Game of Thrones. I'm curious how WoT would do in that context. It definitely has the political intrigue, especially in the mid-late novels, but those are the parts of the series that book fans generally hate. It's a lot more stereotypical fantasy story than GoT: Chosen One, sword and sorcery, quest to destroy ancient evil, etc. I'm not sure if that would lend itself to being the kind of crossover hit that GoT has been.

The first 3 seasons will be great, and then nothing will happen really until the last season. :)

That's interesting...

I have always thought the first three were great and 4 and 5 were better.

And then it started to drag (minus the ends of of 6 and 9) until 11.

I thought it started going downhill after the 4th book. There is no way they are going to do 11+ seasons of WoT, so I shortened the timeline.

All chapters told from perspective of any character not named Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Nynaeve, Elayne, Moiraine, Lan, Aviendha, Min, Thom, Fain, Slayer or one of the Forsaken can be cut.

It'd be closer to 10 books than 14 then.

Rafe Judkins has been tapped to serve as showrunner, executive producer and writer on the Wheel of Time TV show. A longtime fan of Robert Jordan's epic 14-book fantasy series, Judkins previously wrote and produced on Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. He also wrote episodes of Chuck and wrote and produced episodes of Netflix's Hemlock Grove. Sony Pictures Television will serve as the producing studio for the Wheel of Time adaptation. Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures will produce. Red Eagle's Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will act as executive producers, with Radar's Ted Field and Mike Weber and Goosebumps' Darren Lemke also serving as executive producers. Jordan's widow and longtime Wheel of Time editor Harriet McDougal will serve as consulting producer.

The next step for the in-development series is securing a network for distribution. No target release date has been set.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/20/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sets-showrunner-production-studio

Reactions: OSUIvan
And Agents of SHIELD showrunner doesn't install confidence that this will be much better quality than the Goodkind adaptation. Not familiar with any of those other works mentioned, so hopefully some of them are a better?

I really liked Chuck, and I've liked a lot of Agents of SHIELD, but Hemlock Grove is a piece of crap. Regardless, this person only wrote a handful of episodes of each. I guess he was the showrunner on SHIELD for a while, but it's not the most confidence-instilling of choices. That said, Benioff & Weiss didn't have the best history before Game of Thrones either. There's no info on network at this point, right? I hope it takes over for GoT on HBO.

It is going to depend on what network they are targeting for it. If it is a good one like Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO or Showtime then I'm hopeful. If they're going for just about any other I'm going to be worried (maybe FX and AMC for honorable mention).

I really liked Chuck, and I've liked a lot of Agents of SHIELD, but Hemlock Grove is a piece of crap. Regardless, this person only wrote a handful of episodes of each. I guess he was the showrunner on SHIELD for a while, but it's not the most confidence-instilling of choices. That said, Benioff & Weiss didn't have the best history before Game of Thrones either. There's no info on network at this point, right? I hope it takes over for GoT on HBO.
HBO is out.

SHIELD is a tough one because it has to fit it with so much around it and is as much marketing tool as show in its own right.

Chuck is good stuff. I'm not sure how well it fits here... WOT is not often goofy unless Mat is the POV character.

AMC would be fine. If they're making it to fit them it could be good. It's not as good as HBO, SHO or NF, but it will do.

Reactions: MegaPoke
WHEEL OF TIME TV series in development (but not yet greenlit) at Amazon

The very strange case of Amazon developing the Wheel of Time TV series with Sony but not really wanting to talk about it continues.

It's an open secret in the business that Amazon is the company that Sony have teamed up with Amazon to bring an adaptation of Robert Jordan's 14-volume fantasy series to the screen. Rafe Judkins (Agents of SHIELD) is working on the project as a screenwriter and possible showrunner, and the pilot script was completed some time ago. Judkins was recently in Guatemala on a writer's retreat to work on the series, possibly with other writers to hand. Although Amazon was known to have had talks with Sony as early as the start of 2017, the announcement of a big-budget Lord of the Rings TV series in November led some to believe that Amazon would not want to develop a superficially similar project at the same time.

Clearly that's not an issue, because all indications since then are that Amazon are on board. Deadline confirmed the company's involvement in February, along with a Dark Tower TV series. After some confusion, Amazon confirmed that Dark Tower is "in development" at Amazon but has not yet received a green light. The project was originally a spin-off from the 2017 Dark Tower movie, but that movie bombing may have led to a creative rethink.

The status of Wheel of Time is a bit more mysterious. We know it is in development at Amazon, but Amazon have so proven unwilling to even give a brief "it's in development" comment as with Dark Tower. Even Amazon customer service representatives seem to be confused as to the official status of the project, some confirming it is in development and others being tighter-lipped.

At JordanCon last month, Harriet McDougall - Robert Jordan's widow and literary executor - confirmed that the Wheel of Time series has a network and it's not a "normal" one, basically meaning it will be a streaming service. This eliminates the last few cable channels from contention (Starz and AMC were believed to have looked the project over, likely passing due to costs) and leaves Amazon, Netflix, CBS All Access, Apple TV and the new Disney streaming service as the primary contenders. Amazon obviously has to be the front-runner, due to both all of the previous information and Jeff Bezos's drive to hoover up all of the major SFF franchises not already snapped up by Netflix or elsewhere. She also confirmed that it won't be a pilot order, but a straight to series commitment which is also standard for streaming.

The reasons for the ongoing obfuscation are likely linked to the different partners involved: Amazon, Sony and Radar Pictures all have part of the production pie, whilst the Bandersnatch Group (the official name of the Robert Jordan Estate) and Red Eagle Productions have producer and advisory roles. As a result no formal announcement can be made until all five of these parties (and likely others) are satisfied with the pilot script and the progress of the project. This may happen imminently or it may still be a few months away. Amazon have also announced a lot of projects recently and likely want to open up some room before making further big announcements.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/05/wheel-of-time-tv-series-in-development.html?m=1

Reactions: MegaPoke
I've pretty much given up hope on this. If the Jordan camp was half-way competent, this would have been made a decade ago.

I've pretty much given up hope on this. If the Jordan camp was half-way competent, this would have been made a decade ago.
Not all their fault. If Jordan had not sold the rights to the shit heads at Red Eagle it probably would have been.

Reactions: TheRedSon
I think that it is better that this comes out post-GoT era fantasy television. It's changed the game for fantasy on television. If it had come out before it would have been shit like the Goodkind series was.

So I’ve never read WOT but is it semi sorta comparable to GOT and/or TLOTR? Think I heard women have magic and it’s sorta Medieval in nature?

So I’ve never read WOT but is it semi sorta comparable to GOT and/or TLOTR? Think I heard women have magic and it’s sorta Medieval in nature?
I'd say its closer to LOTR as I think it builds upon what Tolkien did instead of what many authors tried to do and copy him. Its a Medieval setting thats post an apocalyptic event. The magic system is interesting in that there are 2 halves of it one male and the other female. Males cannot access the female half of the source and vice versa. The magic is the driving force of the universe that turns the Wheel of Time with the 2 halves working against and with each other. In the story the apocalyptic event happens 3000 years before the main story in which men who can access the source to go mad. This causes them to almost destroy the world. The male channelers(magic users) of the time die off as everyone else has to hide. From then on male channlers are gentled(cut off from the source by severing their connecting to it) before they go mad and cause damage.

Last edited:
I read the first book based on this thread and it was pretty meh. A few good characters but nothing overly unique or compelling. Pretty much one long chase scene.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT