ADVERTISEMENT

What teachers have to deal with nowadays...

SUPERPOKES

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
DFW
I had a student who, after 5 weeks of being absent, finally showed up to class today. He hadn't shown to any zoom meetings, turned in any work, not has he been to school since we've been in person for the past two weeks. So I ask him, "why haven't you been coming to school?" His answer? "I forgot."

Yep, these students are our future. ... Democrats (because they'll be living off the government tit).

Last edited:
Was talking to a friend the other day and asked how my daughter was? Fine I said how about yours? Well he said she didn't call me on Fathers Day or my Birthday. He said she is mad at him because he won't buy her the new iphone, he said he buys her the newest one every time one is released and he also pays her phone bill. She is 25. I said well, will her husband not buy her one? He said that her husband, who is a plumber is unemployed and has been getting those big unemployment checks or relief checks or both I guess. She is also pregnant and unemployed. He said she would be calling soon as he knows the money they were getting is probably gone.
I told him to cut off the money and don't buy her the phone but I know him, he will cave just like he always does.
And people wonder why these kids today act the way they do?

Was talking to a friend the other day and asked how my daughter was? Fine I said how about yours? Well he said she didn't call me on Fathers Day or my Birthday. He said she is mad at him because he won't buy her the new iphone, he said he buys her the newest one every time one is released and he also pays her phone bill. She is 25. I said well, will her husband not buy her one? He said that her husband, who is a plumber is unemployed and has been getting those big unemployment checks or relief checks or both I guess. She is also pregnant and unemployed. He said she would be calling soon as he knows the money they were getting is probably gone.
I told him to cut off the money and don't buy her the phone but I know him, he will cave just like he always does.
A plumber out of work? If so, he is not a good plumber. Tradesmen who are worth a shit are very hard to find due to all the remodeling and work being done by those out of work or now working at home. My brother is gutting the kitchen of his home and cannot find an interior designer to even come talk or general contractor to do the work. He's having to be the GC and piecemeal the work to each trade needed.

A plumber out of work? If so, he is not a good plumber. Tradesmen who are worth a shit are very hard to find due to all the remodeling and work being done by those out of work or now working at home. My brother is gutting the kitchen of his home and cannot find an interior designer to even come talk or general contractor to do the work. He's having to be the GC and piecemeal the work to each trade needed.

My son in law is in the OKC/Edmond area and knock on wood he is so busy that he works every Saturday and sometimes a half day on Sunday.

Last edited:

Thats what I thought as well. Either not a good plumber or just plain lazy. We have been trying to get someone to come look at our back patio that we want to have screened in but one guy that was highly recommended has never shown up. He said he would come by one evening and give us an estimate, that was 3 weeks ago. The kicker, he lives about a 1/4 mile from us!
I was told recently he does very good work but you have to stay on him. Not me I am moving on to someone else. If you have to stay on him to come give an estimate then you will likely have to do the same to finish the job.

One guy did come and look and gave an estimate, he is Mexican and speaks ok English but was hard to understand, he was recommended as well but he said he does not paint and that I would have to do that. I said no thanks thats why I am paying someone to do the job.

Superpokes.....are you teaching in Oklahoma? What grade?

Since entering the profession, what surprises you the most about the job? How would you rate your interactions with parents?

Education is not a right, it is a privilege and it takes work. Many parents see school as a daycare center. Until accountability is put in place.....

A big thank you to all the teachers, you provide a tremendous gift for those families and many fail to appreciate it.
I disagree with this sentiment. Education is not - or at least should not be looked upon - as a right nor a privilege. Education is a commodity, economically is not different from buying insurance or getting a haircut, and would be better served if more people understood that reality. The attempt to “glamorize” education as a profession of great importance acts only to create strife.

I disagree with this sentiment. Education is not - or at least should not be looked upon - as a right nor a privilege. Education is a commodity, economically is not different from buying insurance or getting a haircut, and would be better served if more people understood that reality. The attempt to “glamorize” education as a profession of great importance acts only to create strife.

I am speaking to the perception and attitude people need to have about education to appreciate it and take advantage of it. Obviously we give education away for “free” so they see no value in it and they take it for granted. Further, that privilege should be taken away when you so interfere with others around you trying to learn. Your azz should be sent back home for mom and dad to provide day care.

I spent 12 years in 47 states trying to find someone to name a U. S. Supreme Court justice. Never found one. I had to name all 9 before I could dream of moving from grade 6 to 7.

Less than 1% of bank employees could teach me to count money. They were never taught the structure and history of the U. S. buck.

Find me an OSU or OU student who can tell me the county in which they attend class. Storm warnings are issued by county. It's kinda good idea to know the county where you hang.

Less than 5% could tell me how much of our water supply we've used up since humans have walked the earth.

Try asking, "name me the smartest of the primates."

I'm a harsh critic of our failing public education system. All is not lost. 95% of all my interviews found principals knowing who Brad Pitt used to be married to.

A lot of truth in this post. I’m in the industry and myself and my subs have never been busier.

Cutting kids off is a must. One of the hardest things I had to ever do was cut my daughter off. Years later she told me that she hated me for a couple of years but eventually figured out it was the best thing that ever happened to her. I will admit it was a miserable couple of years with her and one of the hardest things I've ever done but it was the right thing to do. Worked out well for her. She went onto get her college degree on her own dime, got a good job, bought a house, got married, had our first grandchild and has a bright future.

You had me and you lost me. Telling me that education is not a profession of great importance is, well, ignorant. If you don't understand that, then you don't see the difference (or value) of a good educator versus and bad educator. I hope I'm wrong in the way I interpreted your post.

Last edited:
You had me and you lost me. Telling me that education is not a profession of great importance is, well, ignorant. If you don't understand that, then you don't see the difference (or value) of a good educator versus and bad educator. I hope I' wrong in the way I interpreted your post.
I knew I was stepping over the line with that comment! Yes, of course education is very important. But it should be viewed as a commodity. People either recognize it’s value and pay for it, or decide they prefer to be uneducated (at least in the “school learning” sense). I have never thought that education should be anything but a private enterprise. I think the quality would be greatly enhanced.

Things are dysfunctional these days.
My dad made it clear that my financial emancipation would begin when I turned 18.
That was fine by me. I moved out at 18 and stopped being beholding to him and his draconian house rules.
It was liberating and I've never looked back with any regrets.
Sweet freedom.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
I knew I was stepping over the line with that comment! Yes, of course education is very important. But it should be viewed as a commodity. People either recognize it’s value and pay for it, or decide they prefer to be uneducated (at least in the “school learning” sense). I have never thought that education should be anything but a private enterprise. I think the quality would be greatly enhanced.

This is one of my two biggest breaks from libertarianism. An educated population is a more productive population. Not saying everybody should need a college degree (I hate that people are told “if you don’t get a degree you are worthless”), but a baseline education IS necessary. If education fully goes private (which will hopefully never happen) it will create massive issues and worsen inequities. I will forever stump for public education for that reason. I am all for having private schools available for those that can afford them (but they should not have access to public funding). There needs to be a minimum level available for everybody, though.

This is one of my two biggest breaks from libertarianism. An educated population is a more productive population. Not saying everybody should need a college degree (I hate that people are told “if you don’t get a degree you are worthless”), but a baseline education IS necessary. If education fully goes private (which will hopefully never happen) it will create massive issues and worsen inequities. I will forever stump for public education for that reason. I am all for having private schools available for those that can afford them (but they should not have access to public funding). There needs to be a minimum level available for everybody, though.

I’m opposed to public education as it too often becomes public indoctrination. But in the interim between what we endure now and completely private education I’m good with your proposal, with one addendum. If parents send their children to private schools and private schools are denied public funding (which is fine by me) then those parents should not be expected to pay taxes that go to public schools.

I’m opposed to public education as it too often becomes public indoctrination. But in the interim between what we endure now and completely private education I’m good with your proposal, with one addendum. If parents send their children to private schools and private schools are denied public funding (which is fine by me) then those parents should not be expected to pay taxes that go to public schools.
Right on. Preach, right reverend Dan.

If parents send their children to private schools and private schools are denied public funding (which is fine by me) then those parents should not be expected to pay taxes that go to public schools.
What's your logic here? Why does that make sense at all? If I don't take advantage of a service provided by the government do I just not have to pay for it? That's awesome. What percentage of my taxes go to welfare that I don't use? Love to have my taxes reduced by that amount.

What's your logic here? Why does that make sense at all? If I don't take advantage of a service provided by the government do I just not have to pay for it? That's awesome. What percentage of my taxes go to welfare that I don't use? Love to have my taxes reduced by that amount.

I understand the argument being made by pro public education advocates that it is a public good that brings immeasurable benefit to society, and therefore it is mandated that government provide such a public good to all citizens in the name of equality. I understand their argument that without free public education society would fracture into the most educated “haves” versus the least (or non) educated “have nots.”

I agree with the first part about it being a public good, but disagree with the government mandated portion of the argument, and look askance when the “inequity” defense is trotted out. Aren’t we suffering from inequities under today’s public education system?

My logic on the taxes is as follows. It has been declared and accepted by the vast majority of the populace that government should provide “free” education to all children. In fact it has been accepted that the public good derived is so great that children must be required to attend for a certain number of years. Taxes are imposed in the name of providing the public good. (The public good, remember, is the benefit accrued from an educated public.). Therefore it is incumbent upon all citizens to pony up a predetermined amount of taxes to insure the public good is provided. Old people without children, single people that are childless, it doesn’t matter, the mandate is to insure all children are provided an education.

And while I don’t personally agree with the logic being made I recognize my attitude is in a tiny minority, so my disagreement is neither here nor there: everybody has to pay. But parents who are sending their children to private school, and therefore are participating in the public good should not be double-dipped. They are already paying toward the public good. Old people and single childless people are required to pay once. OK, fair enough; I disagree, but my vote doesn’t register. Parents who send their children to private school would be the only ones having to pay twice. It is unfair to demand that from them.

As regards your enthusiasm for citizens only paying the government for services they utilize I say “Welcome Aboard!” I completely agree with you!

Last edited:
I understand the argument being made by pro public education advocates that education is a public good that brings immeasurable benefit to society, and therefore it is mandated that government provide such a public good to all citizens in the name of equality. I understand their argument that without free public education society would fracture into the most educated “haves” versus the least (or non) educated have nots.

I agree
You totally missed my point. Why should people who choose to not avail themselves of the service not have to pay the tax? Why does sending my kid to private school get me off the hook for paying the public school taxes?

To be honest, that's why so many send their kids to private schools and are willing to pay to do so. School vouchers are the way for less fortunate (okay, poor families) to have access to better education and get themselves (or their kids) out of poverty.
Superpokes.....are you teaching in Oklahoma? What grade?

Since entering the profession, what surprises you the most about the job? How would you rate your interactions with parents?

I started teaching in Oklahoma. I was at Bartlesville, Tulsa Union, and Catoosa. I've been in Texas for the last 20 years. I teach 11th grade US History (Civil War to present day). The most surprising thing about the job is the other crap that's expected out of teachers that has nothing to do with teaching, but government accountability. Thy put so much on teachers that there's no way you can do everything without working 24/7. I got in education to coach baseball, but now I'm retired from coaching and just teach.

I've created so much stuff for my subject (powerpoints, tests, study guides, assignments, etc.) that I'm thinking about starting my own consulting business and marketing my stuff to districts and individual teachers. You can find a lot of my older US History powerpoints on-line (someone posted a lot of them years ago without my permission). I still have people email me out of the blue from other states saying they're using presentations that I have created with great success.

Last edited:
To be honest, that's why so many send their kids to private schools and are willing to pay to do so. School vouchers are the way for less fortunate (okay, poor families) to have access to better education and get themselves (or their kids) out of poverty.

I started teaching in Oklahoma. I was at Bartlesville, Tulsa Union, and Catoosa. I've been in Texas for the last 20 years. I teach 11th grade US History (Civil War to present day). The most surprising thing about the job is the other crap that's expected out of teachers that has nothing to do with teaching, but government accountability. Thy put so much on teachers that there's no way you can do everything without working 24/7. I got in education to coach baseball, but now I'm retired from coaching and just teach.

I created so much stuff for my subject (powerpoints, tests, study guides, assignments, etc.) that I'm thinking about starting my own consulting business and marketing my stuff to districts and individual teachers. You can find a lot of my older US History powerpoints on-line (someone posted a lot of them years ago without my permission). I still have people email me out of the blue from other states saying they're using presentations that I have created with great success.
That’s a great story! You should definitely put a package together. I bet it would sell
Like hot cakes!

Reactions: SUPERPOKES
You totally missed my point. Why should people who choose to not avail themselves of the service not have to pay the tax? Why does sending my kid to private school get me off the hook for paying the public school taxes?
I didn’t miss your point, I agreed with it! I think people should only pay for the services they use. By sending your kids to a school - any school - you are participating in advancing the public good, which is the purpose of the taxes - and IMO that should satisfy the requirement. You have essentially paid the taxes once already. It is unfair to be expected to pay a second time.

In 1906, there were more black Americans in Oklahoma than Indians. More black Americans than first and second generation Europeans. By the 1990 census, Oklahoma's black population stood at 7.1%. Migration and interracial marriage with Indo-Europeans has left us but a dim memory.

More black towns have been founded by blacks for blacks in Oklahoma than all other states combined. Langston thrives to this day. Arkansas Colored saw it's post office close in 1912.

My school teacher niece and nephew are not allowed to teach Oklahoma's rich African history in the Lawton school district.

In 1906, there were more black Americans in Oklahoma than Indians. More black Americans than first and second generation Europeans. By the 1990 census, Oklahoma's black population stood at 7.1%. Migration and interracial marriage with Indo-Europeans has left us but a dim memory.

More black towns have been founded by blacks for blacks in Oklahoma than all other states combined. Langston thrives to this day. Arkansas Colored saw it's post office close in 1912.

My school teacher niece and nephew are not allowed to teach Oklahoma's rich African history in the Lawton school district.
Yep, not long after I graduated in 67 from Lawton Ike, they adopted the insipid California template of ridiculous revisionist history.
Also, all 2400 of us in the student body were very polite. If you weren't there was hell to pay at school AND at home.
Oh my...believe.

Yep, not long after I graduated in 67 from Lawton Ike, they adopted the insipid California template of ridiculous revisionist history.
Also, all 2400 of us in the student body were very polite. If you weren't there was hell to pay at school AND at home.
Oh my...believe.
It may have been '68 or '69 when I was a special guest of the Ike football team. I stood in the west end zone at Cameron Stadium and fired the shotgun into the air at game's end. I can't remember Ike's opponent but I remember the opponent's highly regarded Freddie Carolina. He was scary good! Ike won.

It may have been '68 or '69 when I was a special guest of the Ike football team. I stood in the west end zone at Cameron Stadium and fired the shotgun into the air at game's end. I can't remember Ike's opponent but I remember the opponent's highly regarded Freddie Carolina. He was scary good! Ike won.
I'll never forget.
Ike was a brand new, mint school. I was there the first year before the paint dried.
At any rate, pre-integration. Our lily white , smallish pale boys were mediocre at best. So, after 3 failed attempts, we finally beat Lawton High in our fourth year as a school.
It was epic.
Good times. :)

I had a student who, after 5 weeks of being absent, finally showed up to class today. He hadn't shown to any zoom meetings, turned in any work, not has he been to school since we've been in person for the past two weeks. So I ask him, "why haven't you been coming to school?" His answer? "I forgot."

Yep, these students are our future. ... Democrats (because they'll be living off the government tit).
Andrew Sullivan always has interesting things to say. I thought you might enjoy most of this article, at least the part that pertains to intelligence in school.

I'll never forget.
Ike was a brand new, mint school. I was there the first year before the paint dried.
At any rate, pre-integration. Our lily white , smallish pale boys were mediocre at best. So, after 3 failed attempts, we finally beat Lawton High in our fourth year as a school.
It was epic.
Good times. :)
I graduated Lawton High 1960. A black girl sat directly behind me in English class, A Comanche male was in another class. Lawton High took everybody.

My mother wouldn't let me attend Lawton Dunbar, all black. The principal at Fort Sill Indian School wouldn't give me time of day, angering my father.

My mother always made a 1 quart Kerr jar of ice water for my father to carry under the car seat for our trips to Sears Roebuck & Company so my father wouldn't have to deal with COLORED ONLY and WHITE ONLY drinking fountains. My father's appearance suggested American Indian, tall lean Comanche. He was Congolese-Cherokee-Caucasian.

I hung out at Mac's Drive Inn and Charlie's on Lee Blvd. Wayne's was a no no for mixed race. Sometimes A&W. I once took the original Whitney Houston to a movie. We went to the Murray and had to sit in the balcony.

I graduated Lawton High 1960. A black girl sat directly behind me in English class, A Comanche male was in another class. Lawton High took everybody.

My mother wouldn't let me attend Lawton Dunbar, all black. The principal at Fort Sill Indian School wouldn't give me time of day, angering my father.

My mother always made a 1 quart Kerr jar of ice water for my father to carry under the car seat for our trips to Sears Roebuck & Company so my father wouldn't have to deal with COLORED ONLY and WHITE ONLY drinking fountains. My father's appearance suggested American Indian, tall lean Comanche. He was Congolese-Cherokee-Caucasian.

I hung out at Mac's Drive Inn and Charlie's on Lee Blvd. Wayne's was a no no for mixed race. Sometimes A&W. I once took the original Whitney Houston to a movie. We went to the Murray and had to sit in the balcony.
Remind me, when was the Eddie Hinton era? Widely believe to be the fastest, non bionic man on earth.
He was like Bolt fast.

I do recall those effed up Jim Crow laws.
No swimming at Doe Doe park either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT