OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

What Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy said at Cowboys' media day​

Portrait of Scott WrightScott Wright
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — The first day in shoulder pads felt different for Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy on Saturday.

With roughly 20 returning starters, and several returning backups, the start of preseason camp didn’t feel quite so new.

But the level of experience the Cowboys return this year will be a key tool, particularly early in the season with a challenging early schedule.

“We have a difficult nonconference schedule, so experience is gonna help us move forward a little quicker than normal,” Gundy said Saturday at OSU football media day at Gallagher-Iba Arena.

“We’ve moved forward on more of a six-day install than a 10-day install. It allows us to get more into a football mode than a teaching mode by the middle of next week.”

That experience is particularly notable on the offensive line with eight players who have started games in a power conference.

“In my 20 years as a head coach we haven’t had the ability to rotate many of those guys,” Gundy said of the offensive line. “Now we’ve got a number of guys that have played and we can rotate guys and keep some of them fresh. And if we do get a guy that gets banged up, we don’t have to hold our breath every play.”

Here are a few other takeaways from Gundy’s press conference and Saturday’s practice:

A.J. Green unlikely to contribute much with injury​

Gundy doesn’t anticipate transfer running back A.J. Green being involved much this season because of a serious lower leg injury sustained late in spring.

Green has a redshirt year available and could return for the 2025 season.

The former Arkansas running back, who is originally from Tulsa, arrived in January as a key transfer addition as the Cowboys tried to build depth behind star running back Ollie Gordon II.

Without Green, the Cowboys have just two experienced running backs behind the reigning Doak Walker Award winner Ollie Gordon II. Sesi Vailahi played in four games while redshirting last year, and Trent Howland transferred from Indiana in June.

That means one or both of the true freshmen from the 2024 signing class could be needed to add depth. Rodney Fields Jr. from Oklahoma City and Jaden Allen-Hendrix from Columbia, South Carolina, arrived in June.

“I think we’re in a better situation than we were at this time last year, in my opinion,” Gundy said. “Ollie’s going to have to carry the load, but hopefully not as much as he did last year.”

Coaching staff has grown with rule change​

Over the summer, the NCAA adopted a rule allowing analysts and other support staff to participate in on-field coaching during practice and games.

So veteran coaches like Stan Eggan and Greg Brown — both of whom began their coaching careers more than 40 years ago — can interact with players during workouts, which was previously not allowed.

Gundy hired former Kansas State assistant Sean Snyder, the son of K-State legend Bill Snyder, as a special teams assistant as well.

“This guy can help the kickers and punters with the technical side of that,” Gundy said. “I would say the meetings I have been in with him have been very impressive. I never coached with his father, but when I listen to him talk and coach, it sounds a lot like his dad.”

Kendal Daniels getting consistent linebacker work (Not as heavy as I read in another article)​

According to the roster, Kendal Daniels is still a safety, but the 6-foot-4, 235-pound redshirt junior continues to spend practice time with the linebackers and position coach Joe Bob Clements.

Gundy expects Daniels to remain in his usual middle safety spot, but also be used as a linebacker at times, based on what he shows in practice over the next few weeks.

“He’s doing good,” Gundy said. “We’re moving Kendal around. He learned a lot of things last year. He’s one of the players I’m excited about watching this year.”

Boone Pickens Stadium nearly ready​

With just under a month left until the Aug. 31 season opener against South Dakota State, the offseason improvements to Boone Pickens Stadium are nearly complete.
A large portion of the south bleachers was redone, with new seating and reorganized sections to add leg room and additional aisles for easier access.

https://popup.taboola.com/

https://primenutritionsecrets.com/secret-technique/

Reactions: AsiaPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.