ADVERTISEMENT

What Makes People Hate Law Enforcement

Referring to the title of your post, I think people are afraid of police because the police are looking for law breakers and we know it’s in our nature to do things wrong.

I’ll say it another way: people who have broken the law see the police and worry that they’ve been busted because they know they’ve done wrong.

For enforcing really stupid laws. Watch the video and tell me it doesn’t make your blood boil.

I guarantee you that the guy in the purple shirt is an administrator. I’ll also bet you he asked the girl to put on a mask or face the threat of removal. Having attended numerous football games this fall with my other job with the DMN, I can tell you, every school is taking this mask thing very seriously

The kicker was she wasn’t breaking the “law” per the Ohio mandate.

Jul 22, 2020 · All individuals in Ohio must wear facial coverings in public at all times when: At an indoor location that is not a residence. Outdoors, but unable to maintain six-foot social distance from people who are not household members.

Looked like she was 6 feet away from non-family members.

Wearing a mask is a mandate coming from the health department. All the cop should be able to do is write a fine.

I would have done exactly what she did. This government over reach has got to stop.

Jul 22, 2020 · All individuals in Ohio must wear facial coverings in public at all times when: At an indoor location that is not a residence. Outdoors, but unable to maintain six-foot social distance from people who are not household members.

Wearing a mask is a mandate coming from the health department. All the cop should be able to do is write a fine.

I would have done exactly what she did. This government over reach has got to stop.
20 dollar ticket, pay the fine within 30 days would've sufficed.

I didn't answer the question so here is my opinion as to why some people don't like or why they hate the Police.
People hate being told what to do. People that get speeding tickets or basic traffic violations seem to get the most upset. Can't remember how many times I have heard people complain about getting a speeding ticket. I always ask well were you speeding and they always answer yes, I say well there ya go!
Most people are idiots and cannot even obey simple traffic laws. Next time you are the passenger on a drive take note of how many speeders you see, how many that don't stop at a stop sign, how many that don't give a turn signal and just how many weave in and out of lanes like they were going thru an obstacle course.

If you don't want an interaction with the Police don't do stupid shit and then get mad because they caught your stupid ass.
Criminals hate them because they want to be able to do as they wish without the risk of going to jail. And then you just have people that hate Authority figures.

Reactions: iasooner1
I will also add I didn't care much for them when I was young because I did stupid shit that I should not have been doing and got caught a few times. Now that I am older and wiser I don't do stupid shit so I don't have to worry about it. Imagine grown ass people just doing what they are supposed to do and owning up to it when they don't. I know, never gonna happen.

I didn't answer the question so here is my opinion as to why some people don't like or why they hate the Police.
People hate being told what to do. People that get speeding tickets or basic traffic violations seem to get the most upset. Can't remember how many times I have heard people complain about getting a speeding ticket. I always ask well were you speeding and they always answer yes, I say well there ya go!
Most people are idiots and cannot even obey simple traffic laws. Next time you are the passenger on a drive take note of how many speeders you see, how many that don't stop at a stop sign, how many that don't give a turn signal and just how many weave in and out of lanes like they were going thru an obstacle course.

If you don't want an interaction with the Police don't do stupid shit and then get mad because they caught your stupid ass.
Criminals hate them because they want to be able to do as they wish without the risk of going to jail. And then you just have people that hate Authority figures.

I agree with your overall statement, but this lady was not hurting anyone, and not breaking any law. I support law enforcement as they have a job that is underappreciated right now, but this school resource officer might have wanted to stop and think before tasering a person for not leaving because she didn't wear a mask.

Reactions: CowboyJD
I agree with your overall statement, but this lady was not hurting anyone, and not breaking any law. I support law enforcement as they have a job that is underappreciated right now, but this school resource officer might have wanted to stop and think before tasering a person for not leaving because she didn't wear a mask.

I agree he was out of line. Sometimes all it takes is one bad experience like that and that lady will likely hate the Police too going forward.

I agree he was out of line. Sometimes all it takes is one bad experience like that and that lady will likely hate the Police too going forward.

I agree that it went overboard. What we do not see or know is what happened prior to the recording. Was she told by the school to wear a mask or leave? If she refused to leave, then she is trespassing. At that point, she is breaking the law. So, it can be framed as being tased for not wearing a mask, when she was really tased for trespassing and whatever you want to say about her refusal to comply with orders. Lady was an idiot, and cop was heavy handed, bit I will not shed a tear for the “lady.”

I guarantee you that the guy in the purple shirt is an administrator. I’ll also bet you he asked the girl to put on a mask or face the threat of removal. Having attended numerous football games this fall with my other job with the DMN, I can tell you, every school is taking this mask thing very seriously

Just spitballing here, but another possibility.

The school district made announcements that if you refused to wear a mask during the football game while in the stadium you would be asked to leave (the administrator in the video).

She refused to wear the mask AND refused to leave.

That is textbook trespassing. Which is an arrestable offense. Then she resisted arrest for trespassing. Haven't analyzed the video in any detail (and you can't hear everything she said), but maybe even made a threat of violence to the officer or technically battered the officer at some point. Got tased.

You know, play stupid games....win stupid prizes.

I agree that it went overboard. What we do not see or know is what happened prior to the recording. Was she told by the school to wear a mask or leave? If she refused to leave, then she is trespassing. At that point, she is breaking the law. So, it can be framed as being tased for not wearing a mask, when she was really tased for trespassing and whatever you want to say about her refusal to comply with orders. Lady was an idiot, and cop was heavy handed, bit I will not shed a tear for the “lady.”

Mea culpa for not reading your post prior to posting mine.

If I had, I could of just agreed with you.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
She needs to be made an example of because she is white. He should have punched her in the face. Comply don’t die.

To the original question about what makes people hate cops.

I really see it as 2 answers. One is individual and one is collective.

1. Cops are placed in a position of authority over you. Some people are assholes. So some cops are assholes. An asshole who has authority over you engenders a level of anger when they act according to their assholeishness and you are left with little recourse.

2. Some municipalities use their police force as a revenue stream. They write tickets for nuisance items in order to get court fees and city fines. This pisses people off since it isn’t a public safety issue - which is what the police force is for. Or the city leaders use them as a social experiment to implement unfavorable policies. Again, either by action or inaction, the cops are put in positions to enforce or not enforce laws. That policy seems arbratriary - because it often is.

Mea culpa for not reading your post prior to posting mine.

If I had, I could of just agreed with you.

No worries. I do not claim to know the laws that well, so I appreciate your input. Glad I had the correct understanding!

To the original question about what makes people hate cops.

I really see it as 2 answers. One is individual and one is collective.

1. Cops are placed in a position of authority over you. Some people are assholes. So some cops are assholes. An asshole who has authority over you engenders a level of anger when they act according to their assholeishness and you are left with little recourse.

2. Some municipalities use their police force as a revenue stream. They write tickets for nuisance items in order to get court fees and city fines. This pisses people off since it isn’t a public safety issue - which is what the police force is for. Or the city leaders use them as a social experiment to implement unfavorable policies. Again, either by action or inaction, the cops are put in positions to enforce or not enforce laws. That policy seems arbratriary - because it often is.
Actually this post was an attempt to reprise an earlier post where I suggested that rather than defund the police we should defund the politicians that pass utterly incompetent and stupid laws and expect the police to enforce them, which only leads people to hate the police, not the utterly incompetent and stupid politicians that passed the law in the first place.

Actually this post was an attempt to reprise an earlier post where I suggested that rather than defund the police we should defund the politicians that pass utterly incompetent and stupid laws and expect the police to enforce them, which only leads people to hate the police, not the utterly incompetent and stupid politicians that passed the law in the first place.
But I said it in a way that everyone can comprehend what I’m actually trying to say.

Just spitballing here, but another possibility.

The school district made announcements that if you refused to wear a mask during the football game while in the stadium you would be asked to leave (the administrator in the video).

She refused to wear the mask AND refused to leave.

That is textbook trespassing. Which is an arrestable offense. Then she resisted arrest for trespassing. Haven't analyzed the video in any detail (and you can't hear everything she said), but maybe even made a threat of violence to the officer or technically battered the officer at some point. Got tased.

You know, play stupid games....win stupid prizes.
Would it change your answer if she had told the school resource officer and administrator that she had asthma, a medical condition, that would be made worse by wearing a mask.

I’m sorry but just because our officials in authority have lost their collective minds over these mask mandates doesn’t give someone the right to take you out because of non-compliance. What if being tased caused a cardiac arrest in this case. Sometimes you just need to call it what it was and leave it there. Major over reaction by those in authority.

All she did was go to an outdoor sporting event and sat 6 feet away from people. Not a stupid game.

Would it change your answer if she had told the school resource officer and administrator that she had asthma, a medical condition, that would be made worse by wearing a mask.

I’m sorry but just because our officials in authority have lost their collective minds over these mask mandates doesn’t give someone the right to take you out because of non-compliance. What if being tased caused a cardiac arrest in this case. Sometimes you just need to call it what it was and leave it there. Major over reaction by those in authority.

All she did was go to an outdoor sporting event and sat 6 feet away from people. Not a stupid game.
JD can sure speak for himself. But I don’t think he’s disagreeing with you. He’s just saying that you can’t judge the totality of the situation based on just that video.

It would change my answer in that it would then require an analysis of the Americans With Disabilities Act.

So here we go....

-Telling a "school resource officer" that you have asthma is insufficient certification of a claimed disability under ADAD. If she had provided a letter from a licensed physician that she had asthma AND establishing all of the necessary qualifications as a disability under the ADA AND that an asthma attack could reasonably be expected to be triggered by the wearing of a cloth mask outside for the duration of the game, then the school would be required to engage in reasonable accommodations discussions with the claimant. I can come up with any number of my own thoughts as to what a reasonable accommodation might be. Based upon your statements and her conduct, I doubt any of those would be viewed as acceptable. If she did accept one of them, then you have an agreement as to the reasonable accommodation and no further problems.

JD can sure speak for himself. But I don’t think he’s disagreeing with you. He’s just saying that you can’t judge the totality of the situation based on just that video.

The disconnect is probably that he is coming at this from an angle of advocacy with an underlying assumption that "officials in authority have lost their collective minds over these mask mandates" and that mask mandates don't give you the right to take someone from the premises because of non-compliance. He is focused on what they "should have done" regardless of the law. i.e. the realm of opinion.

I'm not coming at it from any angle of advocacy or opinion. I'm not interested in engaging in that discussion here. If this place has taught me anything, it that opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one, and everyone thinks they all stink except their own.

I'm coming at it from an angle of a legal exercise applying the law to the video. I was commenting from a perspective of what they had likely had legal authority to do. That is an entirely different thing all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inky29
To the question of what makes people hate law enforcement. It was mentioned above that they are placed in authority. I'll go one step deeper. I have yet to see a police officer that didn't like being in authority. Yes, I know many fine people who are police officers. But every officer that I have met or know has this underlining desire to be "big man on campus". They want that fearful respect. Of course many of them love children, want to help ladies across the street, etc. But they are wired to want authority...that's why their personality many times creates conflict. Perhaps that personality is what makes a good cop. It's with this opinion as to why anytime I come in contact with an officer I try show them respect (what they want) and try to keep it as polite as possible and get out of the situation as fast as possible. The more time with them give them more of a chance to exhibit a behavior I don't want to see.

I'm not afraid of the police but then again about the only thing I do wrong is I'm of the opinion that speed limits are merely a a suggestion. Except school zones.

Don't want no trouble, don't start no trouble has always been my motto. She knew the rules and thought she was better than the rules. Driving to the game she knew she had Asthma, walking into the game she knew the school required her to wear a mask. Nothing about this scenario was a sudden shock to her system. She wanted drama and got drama. I'd have been okay with a grazing of a bullet for her but that's just me and my disdain for selfish, entitled aholes.

Don't want no trouble, don't start no trouble has always been my motto. She knew the rules and thought she was better than the rules. Driving to the game she knew she had Asthma, walking into the game she knew the school required her to wear a mask. Nothing about this scenario was a sudden shock to her system. She wanted drama and got drama. I'd have been okay with a grazing of a bullet for her but that's just me and my disdain for selfish, entitled aholes.
Maybe she isn't a sheep.

Reactions: lovethempokes
About 20 yrs ago, Damn its been that long wow, anyway I was working at a Business and we had local city cops that the store hired for security. This one Cop was a pretty cool guy and we would always talk when he was working security and shoot the shit. Well one day on my day off I was running some errands and saw that he had someone pulled over, I had the back windows on my truck opened so I did a little hey wave out the back and about a couple minutes later I see he is coming up behind me with blue lights on and pulls me over. I thought ok he is just messing with me and make for something to talk about at work, nope. I pull over and he is cautiously approaching my truck and I hear him say as he gets close to my window, "who the hell do you think you are flipping off?"
He got up next to the window and saw it was me and said hell what are you doing? I said man I just waved as I went by. He said damn I thought somebody flipped me off. He told me to go on as he had to go back to the person he had pulled over, he made them stay there to come after me.

Reactions: iasooner1
To the question of what makes people hate law enforcement. It was mentioned above that they are placed in authority. I'll go one step deeper. I have yet to see a police officer that didn't like being in authority. Yes, I know many fine people who are police officers. But every officer that I have met or know has this underlining desire to be "big man on campus". They want that fearful respect. Of course many of them love children, want to help ladies across the street, etc. But they are wired to want authority...that's why their personality many times creates conflict. Perhaps that personality is what makes a good cop. It's with this opinion as to why anytime I come in contact with an officer I try show them respect (what they want) and try to keep it as polite as possible and get out of the situation as fast as possible. The more time with them give them more of a chance to exhibit a behavior I don't want to see.
I have seen plenty of the “authority” types over the years. And they never fail to leave a lasting impression.

But most people that I met in law enforcement wanted to help people and to do the right thing by society in general.

It can be boring as hell or the most exciting or frightening thing you can imagine and it changes from one extreme to another in seconds at times.

Few things in life are as gratifying as locking up a car thief, for example, and getting the stolen car back to the owner who could only afford liability insurance. Or being right around the corner when an ambulance call comes out and starting CPR on a person 5-10 minutes before help would have otherwise arrived.

I can’t think of many occupations that are more physically and intellectually challenging and are as interesting as law enforcement. Literally zero to shit in less than 5 seconds. Or less.
Is there a more wonderful and shitty job on the planet? One where every move you make will be scrutinized endlessly by people who will never know what it’s like to be placed in an unwinnable situation? One where you know going in that you’re not going to ever be paid relative for what you may be called upon to give up? I can’t think of one off hand.

Anyway, there are more reasons why people would want to be a peace officer than to enjoy some power trip “fearful respect” thing.

I have seen plenty of the “authority” types over the years. And they never fail to leave a lasting impression.

But most people that I met in law enforcement wanted to help people and to do the right thing by society in general.

It can be boring as hell or the most exciting or frightening thing you can imagine and it changes from one extreme to another in seconds at times.

Few things in life are as gratifying as locking up a car thief, for example, and getting the stolen car back to the owner who could only afford liability insurance. Or being right around the corner when an ambulance call comes out and starting CPR on a person 5-10 minutes before help would have otherwise arrived.

I can’t think of many occupations that are more physically and intellectually challenging and are as interesting as law enforcement. Literally zero to shit in less than 5 seconds. Or less.
Is there a more wonderful and shitty job on the planet? One where every move you make will be scrutinized endlessly by people who will never know what it’s like to be placed in an unwinnable situation? One where you know going in that you’re not going to ever be paid relative for what you may be called upon to give up? I can’t think of one off hand.

Anyway, there are more reasons why people would want to be a peace officer than to enjoy some power trip “fearful respect” thing.
My respect for you increases every time you post on this board.

Reactions: wyomingosualum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT