ADVERTISEMENT

What is Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy concerned about? Run game vs. Arkansas

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

What is Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy concerned about? Run game vs. Arkansas​

Portrait of Scott WrightScott Wright
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Aside from a couple of trips during his senior year at Midwest City High School, Mike Gundy didn’t attend many Oklahoma State football games.

So the majority of his knowledge about Cowboy defensive end Leslie O’Neal came from local media.

“We didn’t have social media,” Gundy said. “I didn’t know a lot about him other than at night if I watched the news, or what I read in the paper. In the mornings when I was growing up, I’d read the sports page and the comics page.

“So I’d read the sports page and you’d read about Leslie.”

O’Neal, who concluded his college career in 1985, will be inducted into OSU’s Ring of Honor during the Cowboys’ home game against Arkansas at 11 a.m. Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium.

O’Neal stands as OSU’s single-season (16.0) and career sacks (34.0) leader, and will be the first defensive player inducted into the Ring of Honor. He joins the Cowboys’ four legendary running backs, Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, Bob Fenimore and Terry Miller.

“We talk so much about Barry and Thurman, but as far as former players that were dominant here, he was as dominant defensively as Barry and Thurman were offensively,” Gundy said during his weekly press conference Monday. “A great player. Moderately recruited, from what I was told. To play the position he plays and have double-digit years in the NFL is incredible.”

Here are more takeaways from Gundy’s press conference:

b0a22952-ff25-4d5a-ad9e-ee1510a5db6c-leslieoneal.jpg

Run game production remains a question​

After assessing the game tape, Gundy still was least pleased with the overall run production from the Cowboy offense.

Ollie Gordon II rushed for 104 yards on 27 carries with two touchdowns, plus another through the air, but in all, OSU averaged 3.3 yards per carry against South Dakota State.

Now, the Cowboys must turn their attention to an Arkansas defensive line that will be bigger and more physical than SDSU.

“When you play a team in the SEC, you’re gonna play girth,” Gundy said. “We need to make good strides between last week and this week to be able to block a front that is better than we saw last week. From a technique standpoint … the team we just played was excellent. They just didn't have as much size as what we’ll face Saturday.”

75035588007-sp-13439.jpg

Will Gavin Freeman redshirt?​

In the preseason, it had been expected that OU transfer receiver Gavin Freeman would redshirt, meaning he would be available for four regular season games. But with Da’Wain Lofton unavailable because of injury, Freeman played as a No. 2 slot receiver and return man in the opening week.

His status as a possible redshirt candidate might be a week-to-week discussion.

“Because of the four games and postseason opportunity, I don’t know that it’s fair to say,” Gundy said regarding Freeman’s potential to redshirt. "We’re very pleased with what he’s bringing to the table. We’lll just have to see."

Freeman played 21 snaps, finishing with two receptions for 10 yards, and also seeing the field in the return game.

Absence of penalties a bonus​

In terms of a first game, getting penalized just once is an impressive number. And after the way things had gone in the preseason, the lack of penalties was a pleasing sight to Gundy.

“We played with discipline,” he said. “The first and second scrimmage we had in August, that was a concern of mine. We had way too many penalties.”

Ollie Gordon II gets statistical boost​

Two days after the fact, Ollie Gordon II has added a third rushing touchdown to his stat line from Saturday's game.

Gordon scored a 22-yard touchdown on what was initially ruled a forward pass from quarterback Alan Bowman early in the the third quarter on Saturday. But upon review of the play, it was determined the pass was a lateral throw, and thus a rushing play.

So Gordon's official numbers from the game are 128 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 28 carries with three receptions for 20 yards.

Conversely, Bowman loses credit for the passing yardage, bringing his numbers to 24 of 33 for 245 yards and two touchdowns.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.