ADVERTISEMENT

? What happened to Rand Paul?

hollywood

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
In April thru June, I thought the guy would pick up some momentum and start making a real push for the nomination and would at least be a clear top 3 type candidate.

Now, it seems like he virtually disappeared from campaigning for most of the summer and appears to only be going through the motions.

Of all the candidates, his trajectory is the one that surprises me most.

I'm spit-balling here a bit, but I think there's a reason why he's stopped the full court press. Kentucky law prevents one from running for president and the senate contemporaneously. Even if he got the nomination, out of this crowded field he would basically have to forfeit his senate seat so it was "all or nothing" for him. And if he doesn't get the nomination, I think his internal polling has shown that his campaign was draining a bit of his support within the state for him to return to the senate. (I've seen some external polling which showed that his job approval rating in Kentucky was trending downward.) I think the guy has decided to hedge his bets, make certain he retains his senate seat and look forward to the next few terms to mount another couple of three of runs at the office. (He's still relatively young and could easily be in the picture for at least a solid 12 yrs.)

In April thru June, I thought the guy would pick up some momentum and start making a real push for the nomination and would at least be a clear top 3 type candidate.

Now, it seems like he virtually disappeared from campaigning for most of the summer and appears to only be going through the motions.

Of all the candidates, his trajectory is the one that surprises me most.

I'm spit-balling here a bit, but I think there's a reason why he's stopped the full court press. Kentucky law prevents one from running for president and the senate contemporaneously. Even if he got the nomination, out of this crowded field he would basically have to forfeit his senate seat so it was "all or nothing" for him. And if he doesn't get the nomination, I think his internal polling has shown that his campaign was draining a bit of his support within the state for him to return to the senate. (I've seen some external polling which showed that his job approval rating in Kentucky was trending downward.) I think the guy has decided to hedge his bets, make certain he retains his senate seat and look forward to the next few terms to mount another couple of three of runs at the office. (He's still relatively young and could easily be in the picture for at least a solid 12 yrs.)

A plausible theory.

He put out his tax plan and created some positive buzz. Then he got distracted by the planned parenthood video.

Trump stole his thunder leading into the debate so he went after Trump and DT made him look bad. After the debate I'm now seeing Carly Fiorina and Ben Carson like the candidates I'd hoped Paul and Trump were going to be.

I think after the other nights debate he is done. I have been talking with a lot of people and one question I ask is how they felt the debate between him and Christy went and almost everyone sided with Christy. I think he is a bit bitter the American people didn't respond like he thought they would. I personally agree with him and I think a lot of the politicians like Christy use fear to take away our rights and freedoms. I personally won't let the terrorist win and I refuse to live in fear of them. I just make sure I am armed in case one wants to try something.

Reactions: Tulsaaggieson
He put out his tax plan and created some positive buzz. Then he got distracted by the planned parenthood video.

Trump stole his thunder leading into the debate so he went after Trump and DT made him look bad. After the debate I'm now seeing Carly Fiorina and Ben Carson like the candidates I'd hoped Paul and Trump were going to be.

Same.

I love the fact that those two are real world professionals instead of career politicians. The fact that they also represent monorities and women is an incredible opportunity to put these divisive myths to bed and rebrand the party as a streamlined Liberty focused small government big umbrella kind of thing.

It makes so much sense, in sure it won't happen. Bush/Christie. Book it.

Reactions: ctdub and JonnyVito
You aren't the only one. I will honestly vote D if that happens.

Yes I know it wouldn't be "as bad" as whatever the D's puke up but the long term worst thing we can do is reward the GOP establishment by electing statist rinos. The GOP needs to be deconstructed, rebranded and refocused or it is just a matter of the speed at which this country goes to shit.

There is no more lesser of two evils.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT