ADVERTISEMENT

What are the most important skills for a QB?

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
How would you rank the skills of past oSu QB's or successful NFL QB's?
  • Arm Strength (whether a player can throw it 40 yards or 80 yards)
  • Running Ability (being able to put pressure on the defense by being able to take off for a first down or much more)
  • Pocket Presence (being able to slide around in the pocket to buy more time and to help set up blocks for your offensive lineman when they get beat)
  • Decision-Making & Football IQ (making wise decisions with the football, understanding down and distance, and keeping each drive & game & season in context)
  • Ball Security (protecting the football by not fumbling the ball or forcing interceptions)
  • Reading a Defense (pre-snap reads to put the team in the right play and knowing what the defense is giving you whether they're playing zone or man or in a blitz package)
  • Accuracy & Timing (knowing where to place the ball where only the receiver can get it and having the timing to place the football exactly where it needs to be before the receiver comes out of their break)
  • Athletic Ability (speed, strength, and jumping ability)
  • Making Progressions (post snap reads to find the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th receiving options when the 1st option is not open)
  • Eyes (looking off safeties - which is the opposite of staring down your primary receiver - and not tipping your hand to the defense as to where the play is going)
Brandon Weeden (skills from best to worst)
1) Arm Strength
2) Accuracy & Timing
3) Decision-Making & Football IQ
4) Making Progressions
5) Reading a Defense
6) Eyes
7) Ball Security
8) Pocket Presence
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Mason Rudolph (skills from best to worst)
1) Decision-Making & Football IQ
2) Reading a Defense
3) Making Progressions
4) Accuracy & Timing
5) Arm Strength
6) Ball Security
7) Pocket Presence
8) Eyes
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Drew Brees (skills from best to worst)
2) Accuracy & Timing
3) Reading a Defense
4) Making Progressions
5) Ball Security
6) Eyes
7) Pocket Presence
8) Arm Strength
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Peyton Manning (skills from best to worst)
1) Reading a Defense
2) Decision-Making & Football IQ
3) Accuracy & Timing
4) Making Progressions
5) Ball Security
6) Arm Strength
7) Eyes
8) Pocket Presence
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Aaron Rodgers (skills from best to worst)
2) Pocket Presence
3) Accuracy & Timing
4) Ball Security
5) Arm Strength
6) Making Progressions
7) Reading a Defense
8) Eyes
9) Running Ability
10) Athletic Ability

Tom Brady (skills from best to worst)
1) Accuracy & Timing
2) Decision-Making & Football IQ
3) Making Progressions
4) Reading a Defense
5) Ball Security
6) Pocket Presence
7) Eyes
8) Arm Strength
9) Running Ability
10) Athletic Ability

Patrick Mahomes (skills from best to worst)
1) Arm Strength
2) Accuracy & Timing
3) Eyes
4) Making Progressions
5) Decision-Making & Football IQ
6) Pocket Presence
7) Ball Security
8) Athletic Ability
9) Running Ability
10) Reading a Defense

SIDE NOTE: Neither Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or Patrick Mahomes started in their first NFL season.

Last edited:
How would you rank Spencer Sanders? Here's my take after 6 games.

Spencer Sanders (skills from best to worst)
1) Athletic Ability
2) Running Ability
3) Arm Strength
4) Pocket Presence
5) Accuracy & Timing
6) Making Progressions
7) Reading a Defense
8) Eyes
9) Ball Security
10) Decision-Making & Football IQ

Beyond the first 3, I'm still hoping to see Spencer Sanders show that he possesses any of these. However, he sure is athletic and can run like a deer ("potential").

Personally, I have never cared for an athletic quarterback. I just want somebody that can run the offense, read the defense, throw the football to the correct team, and put the team in the best position to win games. I'm a little old school and believe you need to find a quarterback that can throw the ball and worry about finding a running back that can run the ball.

Contrary to what some believe, the QB doesn't need to do both (i.e. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and some of the best to ever who have played at oSu including Bradon Weeden and Mason Rudolph). Additionally, those running quarterbacks typically take a lot more hits and therefore rarely finish the season healthy (i.e. Zach Robinson and JW Walsh).

Last edited:
Football recruiting is not an exact science, but I think most college evaluation methods need updating. Baseball was the first professional sport to introduce metrics/analytics into evaluating players and their value on a team. I think the same type of number driven philosophy can be applied to college recruiting to help increase the odds of finding high school players that will contribute during their time in college.

For example, similar to Madden football or the old NCAA college football game where players are ranked using different attributes and skills, I think the same can be done for each position in college. Using this information it is imperative to figure out the blueprint for finding a player that will be successful. This can be done by looking back at former players that played the position and how they would have been ranked. Then identify the traits and skills these successful players all had in common.

I love this I kind of stuff and have done it for multiple companies to predict behavior and have even applied it to sports video games. A few years ago a friend of mine who loves FIFA soccer wanted me to play. So I asked him who the best players in the world are. At each position I looked at their skills, abilities, and attributes and found similarities on all of them. I then went and looked at unknown players that also mirrored these same skills and abilities. He thought I was crazy, but a year or two later he came back to me and said how many of these players that I had picked were now some of the best that their position in those leagues. He was blown away.

I truly believe there is real science to this methodology and with enough time & research a system can be implemented to help take a teams college recruiting to a whole new level. For example, some of the stuff posted above is kind of a blueprint. You would then take scale from 1 to 100 (with 100 being the best) and rank each player that is being evaluated for each skill. It would also be important to have coaches of those players and even the players themselves do an evaluation too.

As of 10/31/20, how would you rank Spencer Sanders after 13 games? Here's my take. I think there is a substantial drop off after #3 with Sanders.

1) Athletic Ability
2) Running Ability
3) Arm Strength
4) Pocket Presence
5) Accuracy & Timing
6) Making Progressions
7) Reading a Defense
8) Eyes
9) Ball Security
10) Decision-Making & Football IQ

Personally, I have never cared for an athletic quarterback. I just want somebody that can run the offense, read the defense, throw the football to the correct team, and put the team in the best position to win games. I'm a little old school and believe you need to find a quarterback that can throw the ball and worry about finding a running back that can run the ball.

Contrary to what some believe, the QB doesn't need to do both (i.e. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and some of the best to ever who have played at oSu including Bradon Weeden and Mason Rudolph). Additionally, those running quarterbacks typically take a lot more hits and therefore rarely finish the season healthy (i.e. Zach Robinson and JW Walsh).

After 2.5 games how would you rate Shane Illingworth? There is a substantial drop off after #8, but he shows a lot of promise with the first 7 and hasn't had the opportunity to show us #8.

Shane Illingworth (skills from best to worst)
1) Accuracy & Timing
2) Pocket Presence
3) Decision-Making & Football IQ
4) Making Progressions
5) Arm Strength
6) Eyes
7) Ball Security
8) Reading a Defense
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Last edited:
Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
Some will argue that playing Shane over Sanders would be a mistake because of our makeshift offensive line. However, Shane seems to make very quick decisions and get the ball out of his hands before getting sacked. He also does a good job of moving around the pocket and buying himself more time.

In the same Tulsa game where Sanders was sacked twice, Shane was not sacked at all. This is right after dismissing two players before the start of the season on the offensive line and later losing two players to injury.

In Shane's first start against West Virginia, he was only sacked once. Even though we were very conservative and predictable in our play calling.

While we were still shuffling players on the offensive line after those injuries and dismissals, he was only sacked twice against KU.

Sanders is a mobile quarterback and still was sacked multiple times against Texas. A good quarterback doesn't have to be mobile to not get sacked. A quarterback just to has to read the defense and make a quick decision. Look at Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, etc. None of these guys are considered mobile and they rarely get sacked because they'll throw the ball away. If you don't believe me, click on the link below.

Last edited:
I think Illingworth would have found open receivers in the passing game or thrown the ball away today against Texas and wouldn't have been responsible for 5 sacks or 3 turnovers (Sanders would have had 4 turnovers had an interception not been dropped). Shane displayed many skills during his two starts and shows the "it" factor. Sanders just doesn't have the accuracy or decision making skills. Both play a huge factor in the success of any quarterback. Athleticism doesn't, unless that quarterback has the other two factors.

Week after week last year people would make excuses for Sanders turning the ball over multiple times in a game. They would talk about his potential. He did it last week, but we escaped with a win thanks to our defense. He had multiple turnovers this week, but we couldn't overcome 4 turnovers. Our defense was put in a bad situation all game long because of his carelessness with the football. Remember he should have had another interception too.

I don't care if a quarterback can run the ball, I just care that he can throw the ball and make good decisions. Sanders just doesn't have it between the ears and never goes beyond this first read unless the play breaks down and he's outside the pocket. He is not very accurate, but he sure is an athlete. I'd like to see him used in some goal line situations like JW Walsh or as a running back or receiver and utilize him in trick plays.

Our future is with Shane Illingworth #16. At the very least, we should be rotating quarterbacks anytime a quarterback is directly responsible for a turnover.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy
Sanders is not going to get it done as QB at Oklahoma State. Gundy just blew a possibility of national championship with starting him over Shane. Gundy has in his mind that no true freshman can be a good QB.

Yes, or at least pulling Sanders after a turnover and allowing Shane to showcase his abilities until he had a turnover. I hope we see that going forward at the very least.

I will be interested to see how oSu uses both QB's in 2021-22. I believe Shane will have made huge strides since last year as a true freshman.

Critiquing both players using ALL games played (as of 10/07/21), here are some positives that I DO SEE from Shane consistently and I DO NOT SEE from Sanders.

1) Making Progressions = Shane checks down and throws to his second and third options.

2) Ball Security + Decision-Making & Football IQ = Shane does throw the ball away and seems to make better decisions with the football (and even protects the ball with both hands so he rarely fumbles or gets stripped).

3) Pocket Presence = Shane has a quick release, moves around in the pocket to buy more time, and processes information quickly so he is less likely to be sacked.

4) Arm Strength + Accuracy & Timing = Shane has completed multiple NFL type throws (i.e. those 15 yard out patterns to the far hash where the ball was released well before the receiver ever started their break), which requires a strong arm, accuracy, and timing.

5) Eyes = Shane actually looks off the safeties and doesn't stare down his primary receiver on every passing play.

Last edited:
The problem with evaluating Shane on the first game against MSU is our entire offense was playing horribly (call it first game jitters or being rusty). First, our run & pass blocking was horrendous. Secondly, Warren wasn't the main running back (he has vision, balance, cutting ability, power) and the majority of the carriers were going to Brown (who has no vision and rarely finds the hole). Thirdly, it was the playbook Dunn used. Shane was throwing a lot of fades and screens (aka the Spencer Sanders playbook). However, if you rewatch the first drive it seems like the playcalling was different and more based on his skill set.

Here are some good things I saw from Shane in the first game. A couple of times in the game he checked down and threw to his second and third options. When something wasn't open he typically threw the ball away. He also completed a few NFL type throws (i.e. those 15 yard out patterns to the far hash where the ball was released well before the receiver ever started their break). This type of difficult throw requires a strong arm, accuracy, and timing.

Having a quarterback that poses a threat to throw multiple different routes puts stress on a defense and doesn't allow them to stack the box against the run. That alone will open up the running game. Additionally, Shane tends to make much better decisions with the football and has a quick release which helps him take fewer sacks.

Typically, a productive college quarterback can be somewhat successful if they possess ABOVE AVERAGE skills in 3 of the 10 listed QB traits. An NFL quarterback needs 5 of the 10 traits to be successful. A Hall of Fame quarterback typically has 7 or more of these traits. So whenever someone is evaluating a QB, they should be asking is this quarterback ABOVE AVERAGE in any of these 10 skills?

Shane is at his best with 4 or 5 receivers and different play calling where we are throwing 5/10/15 yard outs, slants, posts, corner, fades, curls, stops, drags, etc (not just screens and fades like the Spencer Sanders offense). Additionally, when Shane is throwing the ball and completing passes this opens up the running game.

I'm not saying Shane will be a Hall of Fame quarterback, but he's already shown he is ABOVE AVERAGE in 7 of those 10 traits. The issue with Shane is whether or not Dunn will call plays to his strengths and not use the Spencer Sanders playbook. Additionally, Shane will need to continue to get better and not let success get to his head (not preparing properly in the film room, staying away from drugs and alcohol, etc).

Shane's eyes, ball security, and arm strength are ABOVE AVERAGE, but not above his first 4 on this list. I'd like to see more of Shane for an even better evaluation. I've seen enough of Sanders to know he doesn't have "it." I could easily move a few of these around for Shane (updated as of 10/10/21). Plus Shane definitely shows way more promise in his first 7 than Sanders.

Shane Illingworth (skills from best to worst)
1) Accuracy & Timing
2) Pocket Presence
3) Making Progressions
4) Decision-Making & Football IQ
5) Eyes
6) Ball Security
7) Arm Strength
8) Reading a Defense
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Sanders hasn't consistently shown he can play ABOVE AVERAGE past his first 3 skills.
When Sanders is in the game, I would prefer to see only 2 receivers because he doesn't make any progressions, gets confused easily, and stares down his receivers. I've never been a fan of the Cowboy Back position because it clogs up our offense. Unless we start throwing to this position more, they are not a threat by the opposing defense and therefore ignored. If we're going to have a player primarily blocking +90% of the time, we should use backup offensive lineman (who could maybe even catch a pass once a game). Additionally, it would be great to see a Spencer Sanders offense utilize more option running plays and go to a double tight formation with additional offensive lineman as tight ends. This would allow us to do some unbalanced sets to really confuse the defense and exploit mismatches. Then, if Sanders is throwing we could do a max protect and really encourage him to run if his first read is not open or if a lane opens up (playing to his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses).

1) Athletic Ability
2) Running Ability
3) Arm Strength
4) Pocket Presence
5) Accuracy & Timing
6) Making Progressions
7) Reading a Defense
8) Eyes
9) Decision-Making & Football IQ
10) Ball Security

I've got nothing against Spencer Sanders. He seems like a good kid, with a great work ethic, and seems to be extremely competitive. However, most of what makes a quarterback successful is above the neck (between the ears) and not below (legs, running ability, and athleticism).

If Gundy wants to continue to play Sanders, I hope he will at least rotate both QB's anytime there is a turnover. However, the offensive staff will still need to tailor the offense to each of their strengths. Having to game plan for 2 very different QB's with slightly different offenses would be a nightmare for any defense. Or if Shane eventually wins the starting role, Sanders could still be utilized in goalline packages (like JW Walsh) and offensive series late in the game where Gundy goes into conservative mode and tries to force the run to protect a lead. At least featuring Sanders in a double tight formation (with 7 offensive linemen) utilizing option plays and unbalanced sets would give the offense an advantage even when the defense knows a running play is coming.

Last edited:
Spencer Sanders Game Stats (as of 10/12/21)

Game 1 (ORST): 0 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 0 turnovers (W) + 1 sack
Game 2 (MCN): 0 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 0 turnovers (W) + 1 sack
Game 3 (TLSA): 1 interception + 1 fumble = 2 turnovers (W) + 0 sacks
Game 4 (TEX): 2 interceptions + 1 fumble = 3 turnovers (L) + 2 sacks
Game 5 (KSU): 2 interceptions + 1 fumble (recovered) = 2 turnovers (W) + 2 sacks
Game 6 (TTU): 3 interceptions + 2 fumbles = 5 turnovers (L) + 7 sacks
Game 7 (BAY): 1 interception + 2 fumbles = 3 turnovers (L) + 2 sacks
Game 8 (ISU): 1 interception + 0 fumbles = 1 turnover (W) + 0 sacks
Game 9 (TCU): 1 interception + 0 fumbles = 1 turnover (W) + 3 sacks
Game 10 (KU): 0 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 0 turnovers (W) + 0 sacks

Game 1 (TLSA): 0 interceptions + 1 fumble = 1 turnover (W) + 2 sacks (only played 2 series)
Game 2 (ISU): 2 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 2 turnovers (W) + 0 sacks
Game 3 (TEX): 1 interceptions + 2 fumbles = 3 turnovers (L) + 5 sacks
Game 4 (KSU): 0 interceptions + 1 fumble (recovered) = 0 turnovers (W) + 3 sacks
Game 5 (OU): 1 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 1 turnover (L) + 3 sacks
Game 6 (TTU): 1 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 1 turnover (W) + 1 sack
Game 7 (TCU): 1 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 1 turnover (L) + 0 sacks
Game 8 (BAY): 2 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 2 turnovers (W) + 2 sacks
Game 9 (MIAMI): 0 interceptions + 1 fumble (recovered) = 0 turnovers (W) + 2 sacks

Game 1 (TLSA): 1 interceptions + 2 fumbles (recovered) = 1 turnover (W) + 2 sacks
Game 2 (BSU): 0 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 0 turnovers (W) + 2 sacks
Game 3 (KSU): 0 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 0 turnovers (W) + 1 sack
Game 4 (BAY): 3 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 3 turnovers (W) + 1 sack

Per Game Averages (LOSSES)
1.5 interceptions = (9/6)
1.17 fumbles = (7/6)
3.17 sacks = (19/6)

Per Game Averages (WINS)
0.82 interceptions = (14/17)
0.41 fumbles = (7/17)
1.35 sacks = (23/17)

Some teams have figured out if they rattle Sanders by knocking him down, getting in his face, forcing quick decisions, and getting sacks then he tends to turn the ball over trying to do too much. Then these defenses just guard against the WR screen (using bump and run coverage with inside position) and guard against the deep fade (by putting their safeties an extra 5-10 yards deep). Our offensive coaches need to counter these moves by utilizing more out patterns to the near hash, curls, stops, hooks, etc.

Additionally, the coaches should design the offense to maximize Sanders strengths and minimize his weaknesses. For example, the coaches could only use 1-2 receivers because he doesn't go through his progressions, stares down his primary receiver, and gets confused. Therefore, the coaches should utilize more option running plays to take advantage of his athleticism and running ability. Plus the coaches could try new formations like a double tight formation (with 2 additional offensive lineman as tight ends) and use unbalanced sets to confuse the defense and exploit mismatches. Then, if Sanders is throwing the ball the coaching staff could do a max protect (to keep him from being pressured) and they can coach him to run if his first read is not open.

Last edited:
Regarding turnovers, here are the differences between Shane and Sanders.

Shane's Per Game Averages (5 games)
0.4 interceptions = (2/5)
0.0 fumbles = (0/5)
1.0 sacks = (5/5)

Sander's Per Game Averages (23 games)
1.0 interceptions = (23/23)
0.60 fumbles = (14/23)
1.82 sacks = (42/23)

I may not be nostradameus, but I do believe in analytics to predict future outcomes. In other words, Sanders is 1.5 times or 150% more likely to throw an interception (1.0-0.4/0.4 = 1.5). Since Shane hasn't fumbled yet, let's pretend Shane fumbles in his next game (1/6 = 0.16) so I have a number to work with (0.60-0.16/0.16 = 2.75). This means Sanders is 2.75 times or 275% more likely to fumble the ball. When it comes to sacks, Sanders is 0.82 times or 82% more likely to be sacked (1.82-1.0/1.0 = 0.82).

So why is Sanders sacked more frequently (even though he is considered a mobile QB)? It's because he processes information slowly (holds on to the ball too long), does not have a quick release (to get rid of the ball at the last second to avoid taking a sack), and does not have any pocket presence (to feel where the pressure is coming from and be able to slide around in the pocket to buy more time).

This year 2021-22 we could have played for a National Championship if Sanders played average in the Big 12 championship game. The problem is Sanders is the king of inconsistency. All of the talking heads on TV kept saying Sanders only has to play average and manage the game and the Pokes could win a national championship. They all knew oSu has an elite defense this year. I feel sorry for all the seniors. This is the first time oSu could have played in the college football playoffs and who knows what would have happened. Just like in 2011, oSu fans will forever wonder what if...

In the first half Sanders had two interceptions and one that could have been intercepted, but it was dropped. Additionally, Sanders had one fumble that he recovered. In the second half Sanders had two interceptions and another one that was dropped, but at least he did not fumble. It was the defense and Baylor, not Sanders that kept us in the championship game. In the second half, Baylor fumbled a punt and their decision to go for it on 4th down (from their own 30) were huge reasons why oSu was in the game in the second half. Again it had little to do with Sanders.

There was NO REASON for Gundy to keep Sanders in the second half on the Big 12 Championship game against Baylor. If Gundy had made the change at QB, the outcome would have been different. However, Gundy hates to be proven wrong and will go to his grave before ever admitting it. Plus, he is way too loyal to upperclassmen (always has been and always will be).

This is the difference between Gundy and elite coaches like Saban & Swinney. They were willing to bench upperclassmen in favor of true freshmen to win games. I know it's a tough decision, but it is the right one for the rest of the TEAM especially the SENIORS.

In case you're wondering, I'm not calling for Gundy's head, he's still the best thing that's happened to Oklahoma State athletics. However, there's always room for improvement even 17 years into his job (assuming he can set aside his pride).

Last edited:
Spencer Sanders in big games.

Game 4 (TEX): 2 interceptions + 1 fumble = 3 turnovers (L) + 2 sacks
Game 7 (BAY): 1 interception + 2 fumbles = 3 turnovers (L) + 2 sacks

Game 3 (TEX): 1 interceptions + 2 fumbles = 3 turnovers (L) + 5 sacks
Game 5 (OU): 1 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 1 turnover (L) + 3 sacks
Game 8 (BAY): 2 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 2 turnovers (W) + 2 sacks

Game 4 (BAY): 3 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 3 turnovers (W) + 1 sack
Game 5 (TEX): 1 interceptions + 0 fumbles = 1 turnover (W) + 1 sack
Game 11 (OU): 2 interceptions + 1 fumble = 2 turnovers (W) + 1 sack
Game 12 (BAY): 4 interceptions + 1 fumble = 5 turnovers (L) + 2 sacks

Texas Averages
1.33 interceptions = (4/3)
1.0 fumbles = (3/3)
2.67 sacks = (8/3)
1 win & 2 losses

OU Averages
1.5 interceptions = (3/2)
0.5 fumbles = (1/2)
2.0 sacks = (4/2)
1 win & 1 loss

Baylor Averages
2.5 interceptions = (10/4)
0.75 fumbles = (3/4)
1.75 sacks = (7/4)
2 wins & 2 losses

Last edited:
I hope Spencer Sanders finally shows some consistency in 2022 for an entire season, not just 1 game here or there (i.e. previous to this year it was only Oregon State & Notre Dame). I am definitely rooting for him. I am hopeful because of some of the things he demonstrated in the Notre Dame game that he hasn't shown his entire career (looking off safeties, going through his progressions, accuracy, etc). One thing I thought coach Dunn did really well in the Notre Dame game was run Spencer Sanders. That helped open up the offense when the defense had to account for Spencer Sanders on every play. I know I've been hard on Sanders, but I'm not the only one. Most experts believe our elite defense won the majority of our games last year along with help from Jaylen Warren. In other words, we won in spite of Spencer Sanders (due to his inconsistency and propensity to fumble or throw interceptions at key moments).

Oklahoma State Cowboys 2022 College Football Season Predictions - "Spencer Sanders has a little bit of that Adrian Martinez gene in him where sometimes he doesn't show up and sometimes he does."

Can Oklahoma State win the Big 12 TITLE? | Field of 12 AFTER DARK - "You cannot turn the ball over. I don't know who that is in the room that is allowing him to do that, but if you make that dude one dimensional you will beat Oklahoma State every game." - Bryce Petty

Is Spencer Sanders Good?? Film Breakdown | Oklahoma State Chalk Talk | Big 12 - "There's a good Spencer Sanders and a bad Spencer Sanders... It makes me think too, how good is Oklahoma State really because they've done it with a QB that is extremely hot and cold."

Three games into 2022, Spencer Sanders is showing he has come a long way. Maybe he's finally turned the corner or the light bulb has come on, but he has been much better. I've seen him do things he never did before like look off the safeties, go through some progressions and even throw to a second or third option, etc.

However, before we get too high on his current play, we have to look at the competition and keep everything in perspective. The last three teams we played had awful defenses. When Spencer Sanders gets pressure, he tends to take too long to make a decision, which typically has lead to a sack or an ill advised pass. There have been some games where he steps up in the pocket (when pressured) and doesn't try to linger in the pocket, but instead just takes off and runs. That is when he is at his best. He is an exceptional athlete and he needs to utilize his running abilities more. His running ability has a drastic effect on a defense and increases the efficiency of our offense.

Turnovers, decision making, and accuracy have always been his major issues. Hopefully, he has finally turned a corner.

Oklahoma State just lost a double overtime game against TCU. Sanders looked great for the first one and a half quarters. Sanders is an elite runner, but when he lingers in the pocket trying to buy more time he is not as effective. He is at his best when he just takes off after the 1st and 2nd options aren't open, putting MAJOR stress on a defense. When he lingers in the pocket to buy more time, he plays into the hands of the defense. And most of the time he eventually just throws the ball away, which I give him credit for not forcing throws. However, his second half interception in this game was critical. If he doesn't underthrow that pass it was a touchdown and the game ends in our favor. He also struggled with consistency tonight (bein hot and cold like he has in the past), but maybe he was hurt. If so, he should not have been out there. In the 4th quarter and going into overtime, Sanders was only 1 for 9 before his 23 yard completion to Braydon Johnson. He finished the 4th quarter and overtime going 2 for 13 for 32 yards and 1 interception. This is also why I'm also not a big fan of running quarterbacks because they usually never make it through a season. Spencer Sanders has never made it through any season. Additionally, I hate too many called runs because it puts the running quarterback at risk of injury. However, if he gets out of the pocket and escapes down the field and either runs out of bounds or slides he can typically protect himself. It also is much harder for a defense to defend a quarterback escaping the pocket than a called QB run.

Last edited:
Spencer Sanders is gone and Garrett Rangel is not the answer. I understand he is only a freshman, but he is NOT shown the ability to look off safeties, check down to second and third options, and consistently throw an accurate ball. In my opinion, these are three of the most important abilities of any quarterback. I held my tongue after he was signed last year because all I saw on his high school tapes was an offense that looked similar to ours. He would throw screen passes or chunk the ball deep after a play action pass, but was never very accurate. He was never required to check down to different receivers or look off the safeties. Here is one of his highlight reels, pay attention to the differences in accuracy between him and Zane Flores.

The good news is Zane Flores is a deadly accurate passer, makes quick decisions, has a very quick delivery, has displayed the ability to throw multiple route combinations (including short, intermediate, and deep ball throws), above average arm strength with great touch on his throws, above average athletic ability and shows some mobility to move around in the pocket (more of a pro passer), and in one video below I did see him look off the safeties.

However, without actual game tape with all plays it is hard to get an accurate read from the highlight tape below. There are still unknowns like Decision-Making & Football IQ, Making Progressions, Reading a Defense, and Eyes. I do have a much better feeling about him as a QB than Garrett Rangel. Below is a good breakdown of Zane Flores (WARNING: the guy breaking it down sounds like Bob Stoops).

Check out this video "short" below.

Check out this video "short" below.

Here are his stats for the past 2 years. His Ball Security seems to be good, he only fumbled the ball 3 times in the last 2 years and only had 14 intercepts on 690 attempted throws (2.02%). His accuracy on film looks great and completed 467 passes (67.6%). He had 57 touchdowns over the past 2 years (8.26% of his total throws went for a touchdown) and this is a 4:1 touchdown to interception ratio.

Last edited:
One thing that is hard to measure on the recruiting trail is DRIVE. This is the biggest factor that determines whether a player transfers, becomes a benchwarmer, average player, above average player, or becomes a legacy at a school. There are verified stories about players like Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, JJ Watt, Walter Payton, etc. and how they went above and beyond the average player at their position to make themselves better than everybody else.

Michael Jordan would lift weights every day (even on game days) because he wasn't tough enough when he played the Pistons & Knicks early in his career.

Kobe Bryant would spend hours and hours in the gym before games, during the off-season, between games, but more importantly when other players were going out partying and having fun (he would intentionally do this so he could get a leg up on the competition).

There have been videos of Drew Brees going over his footwork and mental progression of plays out on the field against air after the practice was long over. This was his version of a walkthrough session, but he was going above and beyond after the team had gone home for the day.

Tom Brady is meticulous about his film study and being a great leader. Watch videos on how he talks to his teammates and pumps them up and lets them know that he believes in them. He also spends a lot of time getting to know his teammates and pouring into them before, during, and after the season (which also makes him a great leader because his teammates listen to him and will run through a wall for him).

JJ Watt walked on to Wisconsin and was driven to succeed because his parents couldn't afford to pay to send him to Wisconsin after his first year. He never let that drive dissipate even after getting a scholarship, becoming an All-American in college, making it to the NFL, etc.

Another good example is Walter Payton for the Chicago Bears. In the off-season when everyone else was taking vacations, partying, relaxing, he was preparing for the season by running up a hill every day multiple times a day.

All of these guys mentioned above were driven to be the very best and refused to let any circumstances determine their emotions, beliefs, or work ethic. Sometimes early success in a player's career allows them to become big-headed and lazy. They think they are great, believe they are owed something when others are in their presence, start partying and doing drugs and alcohol, and stop working DAILY on improving all aspects of their game. Coaches need athletes who are driven to be THE BEST, not just better than someone else on the depth chart.

In closing, a driven player does not transfer because they're not first on the depth chart. Those players work harder to prove everybody else wrong. For example, Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team as a sophomore and used that to drive him to become the best athlete in history (regardless of sport or era). A player's DRIVE could be the most important attribute during the NIL and portal era.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT