What are the most important skills for a QB?

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
How would you rank the skills of past oSu QB's or successful NFL QB's?
  • Arm Strength (whether a player can throw it 40 yards or 80 yards)
  • Running Ability (being able to put pressure on the defense by being able to take off for a first down or much more)
  • Pocket Presence (being able to slide around in the pocket to buy more time and to help set up blocks for your offensive lineman when they get beat)
  • Decision-Making & Football IQ (making wise decisions with the football, understanding down and distance, and keeping each drive & game & season in context)
  • Ball Security (protecting the football by not fumbling the ball or forcing interceptions)
  • Reading a Defense (putting the team in the right play and knowing what the defense is giving you whether they're playing zone or man or in a blitz package)
  • Accuracy & Timing (knowing where to place the ball we're only the receiver can get it and having the timing to place the football exactly when the receiver comes out of their break)
  • Athletic Ability (speed, strength, and jumping ability)
  • Making Progressions (finding 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th receiving options when the 1st option is not open)
  • Eyes (looking off safeties and not tipping your hand to the defense as to where the play is going)
Mason Rudolph (skills from best to worst)
1) Decision-Making & Football IQ
2) Reading a Defense
3) Making Progressions
4) Accuracy & Timing
5) Arm Strength
6) Ball Security
7) Pocket Presence
8) Eyes
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Drew Brees (skills from best to worst)
2) Accuracy & Timing
3) Reading a Defense
4) Making Progressions
5) Ball Security
6) Eyes
7) Pocket Presence
8) Arm Strength
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Peyton Manning (skills from best to worst)
1) Reading a Defense
2) Decision-Making & Football IQ
3) Accuracy & Timing
4) Making Progressions
5) Ball Security
6) Arm Strength
7) Eyes
8) Pocket Presence
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Aaron Rodgers (skills from best to worst)
2) Pocket Presence
3) Ball Security
4) Accuracy & Timing
5) Arm Strength
6) Making Progressions
7) Reading a Defense
8) Eyes
9) Running Ability
10) Athletic Ability

Tom Brady (skills from best to worst)
1) Accuracy & Timing
2) Decision-Making & Football IQ
3) Making Progressions
4) Reading a Defense
5) Ball Security
6) Pocket Presence
7) Eyes
8) Arm Strength
9) Running Ability
10) Athletic Ability

Patrick Mahomes (skills from best to worst)
1) Arm Strength
2) Accuracy & Timing
3) Eyes
4) Making Progressions
5) Decision-Making & Football IQ
6) Pocket Presence
7) Ball Security
8) Athletic Ability
9) Running Ability
10) Reading a Defense

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
How would you rank Spencer Sanders? Here's my take after 6 games.

Spencer Sanders (skills from best to worst)
1) Athletic Ability
2) Running Ability
3) Arm Strength
4) Pocket Presence
5) Accuracy & Timing
6) Making Progressions
7) Reading a Defense
8) Eyes
9) Ball Security
10) Decision-Making & Football IQ

Beyond the first 5, I'm still hoping to see Spencer Sanders show that he possesses any of these. However, he sure is athletic and can run like a deer ("potential").

Personally, I have never cared for an athletic quarterback. I just want somebody that can run the offense, read the defense, throw the football to the correct team, and put the team in the best position to win games. I'm a little old school and believe you need to find a quarterback that can throw the ball and worry about finding a running back that can run the ball.

Contrary to what some believe, the QB doesn't need to do both (i.e. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and some of the best to ever who have played at oSu including Bradon Weeden and Mason Rudolph). Additionally, those running quarterbacks typically take a lot more hits and therefore rarely finish the season healthy (i.e. Zach Robinson and JW Walsh).

Last edited:

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
Football recruiting is not an exact science, but I think most college evaluation methods need updating. Baseball was the first professional sport to introduce metrics/analytics into evaluating players and their value on a team. I think the same type of number driven philosophy can be applied to college recruiting to help increase the odds of finding high school players that will contribute during their time in college.

For example, similar to Madden football or the old NCAA college football game where players are ranked using different attributes and skills, I think the same can be done for each position in college. Using this information it is imperative to figure out the blueprint for finding a player that will be successful. This can be done by looking back at former players that played the position and how they would have been ranked. Then identify the traits and skills these successful players all had in common.

I love this I kind of stuff and have done it for multiple companies to predict behavior and have even applied it to sports video games. A few years ago a friend of mine who loves FIFA soccer wanted me to play. So I asked him who the best players in the world are. At each position I looked at their skills, abilities, and attributes and found similarities on all of them. I then went and looked at unknown players that also mirrored these same skills and abilities. He thought I was crazy, but a year or two later he came back to me and said how many of these players that I had picked were now some of the best that their position in those leagues. He was blown away.

I truly believe there is real science to this methodology and with enough time & research a system can be implemented to help take a teams college recruiting to a whole new level. For example, some of the stuff posted above is kind of a blueprint. You would then take scale from 1 to 100 (with 100 being the best) and rank each player that is being evaluated for each skill. It would also be important to have coaches of those players and even the players themselves do an evaluation too.

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
As of 10/31/20, how would you rank Spencer Sanders after 13 games? Here's my take. I think there is a substantial drop off after #4 with Sanders.

Spencer Sanders (skills from best to worst)
1) Athletic Ability
2) Running Ability
3) Arm Strength
4) Pocket Presence
5) Accuracy & Timing
6) Making Progressions
7) Reading a Defense
8) Eyes
9) Ball Security
10) Decision-Making & Football IQ

Personally, I have never cared for an athletic quarterback. I just want somebody that can run the offense, read the defense, throw the football to the correct team, and put the team in the best position to win games. I'm a little old school and believe you need to find a quarterback that can throw the ball and worry about finding a running back that can run the ball.

Contrary to what some believe, the QB doesn't need to do both (i.e. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and some of the best to ever who have played at oSu including Bradon Weeden and Mason Rudolph). Additionally, those running quarterbacks typically take a lot more hits and therefore rarely finish the season healthy (i.e. Zach Robinson and JW Walsh).

After 2.5 games how would you rate Shane Illingworth? There is a substantial drop off after #8, but he shows a lot of promise with the first 7 and hasn't had the opportunity to show us #8.

Shane Illingworth (skills from best to worst)
1) Accuracy & Timing
2) Pocket Presence
3) Decision-Making & Football IQ
4) Making Progressions
5) Arm Strength
6) Eyes
7) Ball Security
8) Reading a Defense
9) Athletic Ability
10) Running Ability

Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
Some will argue that playing Shane over Sanders would be a mistake because of our makeshift offensive line. However, Shane seems to make very quick decisions and get the ball out of his hands before getting sacked. He also does a good job of moving around the pocket and buying himself more time.

In the same Tulsa game where Sanders was sacked twice, Shane was not sacked at all. This is right after dismissing two players before the start of the season on the offensive line and later losing two players to injury.

In Shane's first start against West Virginia, he was only sacked once. Even though we were very conservative and predictable in our play calling.

While we were still shuffling players on the offensive line after those injuries and dismissals, he was only sacked twice against KU.

Sanders is a mobile quarterback and still was sacked multiple times against Texas. A good quarterback doesn't have to be mobile to not get sacked. A quarterback just to has to read the defense and make a quick decision. Look at Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc. None of these guys are considered mobile and they rarely get sacked because they'll throw the ball away. If you don't believe me, click on the link below.

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
I think Illingworth would have found open receivers in the passing game or thrown the ball away today against Texas and wouldn't have been responsible for 5 sacks or 3 turnovers (Sanders would have had 4 turnovers had an interception not been dropped). Shane displayed many skills during his two starts and shows the "it" factor. Sanders just doesn't have the accuracy or decision making skills. Both play a huge factor in the success of any quarterback. Athleticism doesn't, unless that quarterback has the other two factors.

Week after week last year people would make excuses for Sanders turning the ball over multiple times in a game. They would talk about his potential. He did it last week, but we escaped with a win thanks to our defense. He had multiple turnovers this week, but we couldn't overcome 4 turnovers. Our defense was put in a bad situation all game long because of his carelessness with the football. Remember he should have had another interception too.

I don't care if a quarterback can run the ball, I just care that he can throw the ball and make good decisions. Sanders just doesn't have it between the ears and never goes beyond this first read unless the play breaks down and he's outside the pocket. He is not very accurate, but he sure is an athlete. I'd like to see him used in some goal line situations like JW Walsh or as a running back or receiver and utilize him in trick plays.

Our future is with Shane Illingworth #16. At the very least, we should be rotating quarterbacks anytime a quarterback is directly responsible for a turnover.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoastGuardCowboy

OSU_Sports_Nut

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Tulsa
Sanders is not going to get it done as QB at Oklahoma State. Gundy just blew a possibility of national championship with starting him over Shane. Gundy has in his mind that no true freshman can be a good QB.
Yes, or at least pulling Sanders after a turnover and allowing Shane to showcase his abilities until he had a turnover. I hope we see that going forward at the very least.