ADVERTISEMENT

Westworld, best show we never talk about!

BluegrassPoke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2002
Frisco, TX
Holy shit, this show is incredible. Fellow Poke James Marsden is the lead. Western meets Sci fi. JJ Abrams and Michael Crichton are involved. I have no idea how this show slipped through my fingers. Who else is watching? If not, start!

Reactions: Kenny Orange Powers
Holy shit, this show is incredible. Fellow Poke James Marsden is the lead. Western meets Sci fi. JJ Abrams and Michael Crichton are involved. I have no idea how this show slipped through my fingers. Who else is watching? If not, start!
Crichton passed away in 2008. He wrote and directed the original movie. Honestly I don't like the show at all.

You need to exercise the search option on this forum amigo.

I've never watched a single episode and I have a passing knowledge of the show just from discussion on this forum.

Season 1 - awesomeness
Season 2 - hot mess

A thousand times, this.
This season has been True Detectives season 2 level bad. Security is comedically awful, horrible plot so far, and few if any likable characters. I will do the same thing that I did with TD 2 and watch until the end od this season, then I am probably done. I want to see a second round of The Night Of... but seeing HBO's season 2 crappiness after season 1 awesomeness has me worried that they would screw that up, too.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I agree that this season has been a hot mess.

With that said, the most recent episode (the story of the Native American host) was, by far, the best episode this season, and one of my favorite episodes of the series. JMO.

Reactions: Chillwell
Wow I have the opposite opinion. I hated the first season save the beginning and end of it. I think this season is much more entertaining and easier to understand. Several of my coworkers watch and feel that way too.

The end of the second season has been great imho

Agree, these last 2 episodes have been great. The only part I haven't really liked this season was the Samari arc. Thought that was dumb and pointless. The idiotic security team and technicians are an odd jolt.. it feels like a completely different set of writers and directors do those scenes.

I think they've done a really good job of tying stuff from the season back to stuff we saw early last season.

Agree, these last 2 episodes have been great. The only part I haven't really liked this season was the Samari arc. Thought that was dumb and pointless. The idiotic security team and technicians are an odd jolt.. it feels like a completely different set of writers and directors do those scenes.

I think they've done a really good job of tying stuff from the season back to stuff we saw early last season.

Totally agree with all of your points. Loved the last 2 episodes again!

And just watched the last episode. Totally sucked balls. What a F'ing horrible season. I hope they don't try a season 3.

Just a total mess.

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
And just watched the last episode. Totally sucked balls. What a F'ing horrible season. I hope they don't try a season 3.

Just a total mess.

Agree on all counts. I can’t see them bringing it back. Seems like the writers intended it to be wrapped up.

I think season 3 has already been ordered.

Awesome season overall. Not sure where all the hate comes from

What?! Loved the last episode.

I thought it was kind of a mess. Just some silly writing.

-Dolores and William riding down on 3 guys armed with automatic weapons (and cover), and gunning them down with 6 shooters. There was really no point to that scene. Could have been left out entirely.

-Dolores putting the used bullet in the gun, causing it to blow off William's fingers. Even I know that guns don't work that way. So many issues with the idea. Really stupid writing.

-Clementine turned into a mobile virus that corrupts the hosts and causes them to destroy each other. Yet, when the virus gets to Armistice, Hector, and the rest of their group, they don't lose their minds, they keep fighting and working together against the corrupted hosts (until they are overcome due to sheer numbers).

There were quite a few other examples, that I noticed while watching the show, but I don't have the energy to try to remember them right now.

I think season 3 has already been ordered.

Awesome season overall. Not sure where all the hate comes from

I think I heard that as well, with respect to Season 3.

I loved season 1 but really struggled to remain interested this season. It wasn't quite as dramatic of a disappointment as Season 2 of True Detective but it was approaching it. I will not be on board for Season 3 if it gets made.

-Dolores and William riding down on 3 guys armed with automatic weapons (and cover), and gunning them down with 6 shooters. There was really no point to that scene. Could have been left out entirely.

-Dolores putting the used bullet in the gun, causing it to blow off William's fingers. Even I know that guns don't work that way. So many issues with the idea. Really stupid writing.

-Clementine turned into a mobile virus that corrupts the hosts and causes them to destroy each other. Yet, when the virus gets to Armistice, Hector, and the rest of their group, they don't lose their minds, they keep fighting and working together against the corrupted hosts (until they are overcome due to sheer numbers).

There were quite a few other examples, that I noticed while watching the show, but I don't have the energy to try to remember them right now.
I always find you hilarious you find these problems with these shows but totally geek out over GOT with Dragons, magic and guys coming back to life. Not that’s it’s bad or anything I just find it funny. You can totally suspend belief with that stuff but get so technical with this show and Walking Dead.

I always find you hilarious you find these problems with these shows but totally geek out over GOT with Dragons, magic and guys coming back to life. Not that’s it’s bad or anything I just find it funny. You can totally suspend belief with that stuff but get so technical with this show and Walking Dead.

I just have issues with bad writing. When people do illogical things, and they pay for their decisions, that is good writing. When things make you role your eyes, that is bad writing.

I can read,watch a story where the rules of reality are changed, as long as the author sticks to the new rules and is consistent.

I called out plenty of stupid shit in the GOT TV show.

Can you honestly tell me that you think it makes sense that someone can load a spent flattened bullet into a gun, or that it would result in the gun exploding and blowing off someone’s fingers? That is shitty writing.

I stopped caring about the dumb security teams a while back. I've accepted that in this show's era there is a large gap between the intelligent and the stupid, and the stupid are reeeaaly stupid. Some of the guest, most of the grunts fixing the bodies and th security team seem to barely be able to tie their shoe laces.

The bullet thing was just weird, dumb and jarring. That made no sense whatsoever. She somehow jammed a pancaked bullet into a cylinder? I did have an issue with that and every time I saw the MIB's ruined hand it reminded me how dumb it was.

Good catch on Clementine, hadn't thought of that unless Mave figured the whole short distance communication thing out and turned it off in her friends as she wanted them to be free of her or anyone elses mind control.

Otherwise I enjoryed the episode just because it really tied everything back together. I'm so used to shows like this losing their way after a season or two and never explaining past events, Or like Lost, where you think there is a technical explanation for everthing then...uh magic. For the most part, everything in Westworld tied back and made sense and it was interesting to see's For's incredibly long plan play out.

If there is a saeason 3, I think it should be rebranded with a new name, as it won' t really have anything to do with Westworld anymore. It should be more of a rise of the machines, ghost walk among us, story,

I'm Guessing William is being rebuilt to fight them?

Reactions: Been Jammin
I just have issues with bad writing. When people do illogical things, and they pay for their decisions, that is good writing. When things make you role your eyes, that is bad writing.

I can read,watch a story where the rules of reality are changed, as long as the author sticks to the new rules and is consistent.

Can you honestly tell me that you think it makes sense that someone can load a spent flattened bullet into a gun, or that it would result in the gun exploding and blowing off someone’s fingers? That is shitty writing.

True, but also pretty inconsequential, these little gripes have very little to do with the overal story arc. They are like a few typos here and there in a good book.

True, but also pretty inconsequential, these little gripes have very little to do with the overal story arc. They are like a few typos here and there in a good book.

I think they are a lot different than a typo. With a typo, you notice it, and think, “I am surprised that the editor didn’t catch that’ then you move on and forget about it.

With the bullet thing, it is more like “how did someone not fix that?” Author, director, actor, Someone had to speak up. And, as noted, Williams ruined hand kept reminding the viewers.

It makes more sense than a guy coming back from the dead or a dragon flying around. Just saying I think it's funny. I cannot watch GOT because of those things. I roll my eyes when that stuff happens.

It makes more sense than a guy coming back from the dead or a dragon flying around. Just saying I think it's funny. I cannot watch GOT because of those things. I roll my eyes when that stuff happens.

I get it.

Do you watch science fiction TV/Movies?

In the Alien franchise, the Xenomorph's blood is akin to a strong acid. Throughout all the movies, if a person gets splashed with the blood, they are severely burned, as if they were splashed with hydrochloric acid. Does that bother you? Because, on this planet, there are not animals whose blood is akin to hydrochloric acid.

It doesn't bother me, because the writers changed the rules of that universe. Now, if, in the next movie, we find out that if a person drinks the acid, he will sprout wings, and be able to fly through outer space without a space suit, that would bother me. Because, if you drink acid, it is going to melt through your mouth, esophagus and stomach, and you are going to die.

Game of Thrones exists in a world with different rules than our own. It has established that there is such as thing as magic and dragons.

The Walking Dead exists in a world with rules that differ from our own. It has established that people who die, can turn into zombie like creatures, and survive without sustenance for months.

Westworld has established that it is possible to create advanced robots that cannot be easily differentiated from humans. I have no problems with that. The show has established that A.I. can be so advanced that the hosts can think, reason, and evolve without human guidance. It is not realistic (at this time in our world), but I have no issues with that part of the show.

However, they have also established that the weapons behave like weapons that currently exist in our world. The guns don't shoot bullets that curve around corners. If a person/host is shot, they don't dissolve into ashes or atoms. Don't change the rules, that you have established for 2 seasons, without some kind of explanation as to why you did that.

I get it.

Do you watch science fiction TV/Movies?

In the Alien franchise, the Xenomorph's blood is akin to a strong acid. Throughout all the movies, if a person gets splashed with the blood, they are severely burned, as if they were splashed with hydrochloric acid. Does that bother you? Because, on this planet, there are not animals whose blood is akin to hydrochloric acid.

It doesn't bother me, because the writers changed the rules of that universe. Now, if, in the next movie, we find out that if a person drinks the acid, he will sprout wings, and be able to fly through outer space without a space suit, that would bother me. Because, if you drink acid, it is going to melt through your mouth, esophagus and stomach, and you are going to die.

Game of Thrones exists in a world with different rules than our own. It has established that there is such as thing as magic and dragons.

The Walking Dead exists in a world with rules that differ from our own. It has established that people who die, can turn into zombie like creatures, and survive without sustenance for months.

Westworld has established that it is possible to create advanced robots that cannot be easily differentiated from humans. I have no problems with that. The show has established that A.I. can be so advanced that the hosts can think, reason, and evolve without human guidance. It is not realistic (at this time in our world), but I have no issues with that part of the show.

However, they have also established that the weapons behave like weapons that currently exist in our world. The guns don't shoot bullets that curve around corners. If a person/host is shot, they don't dissolve into ashes or atoms. Don't change the rules, that you have established for 2 seasons, without some kind of explanation as to why you did that.

Agree with all of that, and I think WW has in general been really good at staying within its own rules. I really hated the Maeve (p?) gaining mind control abilities until it was actually explained out and shown that it fit within the show's rules. I agree with the bullet issue, that was a huge wtf. Another issue I have is Deloris seeming to be immune to gun shots to while Maeve is not, but maybe all of those shots that hit Deloris were off the mark.

Reactions: Been Jammin
It was a bunch of those little things that Been pointed out. But it was also just some really big problems as well.

The character development sucked and their motives didn't make sense.
The entire virtual reality simulation was horribly done.
The encryption marble was stupid.
Deloris's father having the key. Dumb.
The security forces being worse than storm troopers.
The loop to Samari World - initially cool. But then burnt out really quick when they realized it was all the same story.
The jump through the rift? come on
Just more disjointed than the first with nothing that really tied it back together.

I did like the savage Indian story line. I liked his awakening and story. Brought a bit of humanity back to the show. But otherwise, I didn't care for any of the characters.

You guys are too high maintenance. I watched it and thought it was entertaining. Which is why I watch television. I imagine watching it with you guys would be a lot like watching it with my mom. “How could that happen, why would he do that”

Reactions: PDT816
You guys are too high maintenance. I watched it and thought it was entertaining. Which is why I watch television. I imagine watching it with you guys would be a lot like watching it with my mom. “How could that happen, why would he do that”

Probably worse. I would pause the show to discuss the stupid writing before continuation.

Seriously though. It all depends on expectations.

I watched the movie Geostorm last week. It was entertaining. After it was done, I thought to myself, "that was a bad movie, but it was a fun way to kill two hours". I didn't feel the need to dissect it in detail.

Conversely, Westworld is a really clever, thought provoking show. The story and concepts are convoluted, and you have to pay attention, or you will be lost. In a product like that, I figure that the writers are very smart and clever. I hold them to a higher level of expectations. If you are going to write a story with so many twists and turns that are tied together in the end, don't make silly nonsensical errors that would be easy to fix.

Example. If you want Delores and William to have a shoot out with 3 guys that are armed with automatic weapons, have those 3 guys say, "Come on, they only have 6 shooters. we have them outgunned" then have them charge W and D who pick them off from a position behind some cover. Or, them them focus on William while Dolores flanks them and kills them from behind.

If you want William's gun to explode, have Delores stick a bleb of C-4 to one of the bullets and load it into the gun. Simple fix.

I just expect high level screen writers to write at a high level.

I don't expect the same level of writing if I am watching a movie starring the Rock or Sylvester Stallone (although the writing in Creed was pretty impressive, IMO).

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
It was a bunch of those little things that Been pointed out. But it was also just some really big problems as well.

The character development sucked and their motives didn't make sense.
The entire virtual reality simulation was horribly done.
The encryption marble was stupid.
Deloris's father having the key. Dumb.
The security forces being worse than storm troopers.
The loop to Samari World - initially cool. But then burnt out really quick when they realized it was all the same story.
The jump through the rift? come on
Just more disjointed than the first with nothing that really tied it back together.

I did like the savage Indian story line. I liked his awakening and story. Brought a bit of humanity back to the show. But otherwise, I didn't care for any of the characters.

What was the issue with the rift? I actually liked that.

One more gripe.

The cheesy scene where the guy who wrote the storylines sacrificed himself while quoting one of his host's diatribes.

A. It was cheesy
B. It was unneccesary
C. He could have surrendered and Maeve still would have escaped.
D. It was really cheesy

You seem to have a really high threshold for bad TV.

WW pisses me off. For reasons that Been has so perfectly articulated, season 2 SUCKS. The show had so much potential. IMO it's worse than True Detective season 2. The robots are hard to care about because they're freaking robots, what do I care if a robot dies? All the humans are total bastards, I hope they all die with maybe one or two exceptions and even they are not very likeable.

This show has no protagonist, no antagonist, constant conflict between parties I don't care about, and a mind-numbing fascination with trying to confuse the shit out of the viewers with time-jumping and multiple instances of the same characters. Who TF knows what is ever going on?

DONE. I turned off the finale with 30 minutes to go and won't be back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT