ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early Tokyo 2020 Thread

Wrassler17

All-American
Mar 20, 2017
Probably too soon for a thread like this and some of the info is likely off, but anyway...

The Olympic Team Trials qualifier (one of them anyway) is in December. We should see a big turnout, including a lot of college guys. Supposedly, PSU will not be at the Scuffle this season so they can prepare for it.

The Olympic Team Trials are less than 7 months away, just 2 weeks after the NCAA tournament.

Only 74 kg & 97 kg are qualified right now for the Olympics. We should end up qualifying all 6 weights, but there's some work to be done. I believe the continental qualifier is in March, just before the NCAAs. Then there's a last chance qualifier, not sure of the date.

- JB will have a bye into the OTT 74 kg finals.
- Snyder will have a bye into the OTT 97 kg finals.
- Cox will have a bye into either the OTT 97 kg or 86 kg semifinals.
- Dake will have a bye into either the OTT 86 kg or 74 kg semifinals.
- Graff will have a bye into the OTT 57 kg semifinals if he wins bronze tomorrow.

What weights do guys go? That's the big question. Alex has said he's going up to 86 kg. Dake seems to be going down to 74 kg. What about Cox? Others?

It looks like Daton will be taking the ORS. I wouldn't mind seeing him withdraw from classes too and just focus 100% on freestyle. Daton seems to make big jumps by facing the best competition, so I'd like to see him compete in the big tournaments (with Alex), spend time at the OTC, maybe even spend time at the NYCRTC with Kendall. They bring in a lot of foreign wrestlers to practice over there.

Flo has an article on the Olympic qualifiers. The Pan Am qualifier is the weekend of 3/13/2020, just 3 weeks before the Olympic Trials. Daton needs to finish top 2. His main competition right now looks to be Ortega (CUB) - who Daton beat in August - and Capellan (CAN) - who Micic just beat at Worlds. Then there's the last chance qualifier on 5/1/2020. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point for any of the 4 remaining weights.

James Green said he's moving up to 74 kg. J'den Cox said he'll make his decision in a week or 2. He also said something about his legacy being a factor, mentioning beating either Taylor/Yazdani or Snyder/Sadulaev. I would say beating Snyder/Sadulaev would be more impressive. Might he go up to 97 kg? Then might Dake move up to 86 kg? Probably not, but he'd have the bye to the semis and he has already beaten Taylor, Alex & Zahid. Gonna be interesting to see these weight class decisions.

I don’t think there is any question as to where Dake is going.

Cox is the main one up in the air. I think he goes up and I think he beats Snyder.

Koll confirmed Dake is going 74 kg. He'll have a bye to the semis of the challenge bracket. So he'll need to win 2 matches on day 1 before facing JB on day 2 in the best of 3 finals.

The Bill Farrell tournament is 11/15-11/16 in NYC. The winner of each weight qualifies for the Olympic Trials. Has anyone heard who will be competing? Would make sense for Eddie & Derek to go. Hopefully Alex & Daton too.

Looks like Spencer Lee will wrestle a modified light NCAA schedule as he prepares for the trials. Will wrestle some FS tournaments during the season.

The potential Fix vs Lee matchup will be a highly anticipated one.

The Bill Farrell tournament is 11/15-11/16 in NYC. The winner of each weight qualifies for the Olympic Trials. Has anyone heard who will be competing? Would make sense for Eddie & Derek to go. Hopefully Alex & Daton too.
Alex almost has to go, as he isn't qualified. Not a lot of chances-the Farrel, Schultz, and Senior Nationals and the last chance qualifier are about it.

Alex almost has to go, as he isn't qualified. Not a lot of chances-the Farrel, Schultz, and Senior Nationals and the last chance qualifier are about it.

I read that Alex is registered (JO too). I wasn't sure if he was ready yet for the bump up to 86 kg, but it looks like yes.

FYI, for those that don't win at the Farrell, they can qualify by finishing top 5 at Senior Nationals in mid December.

I believe there were 17 guys previously qualified for the OTT in MFS, including Daton (57 kg). 6 more earned a qualifier at the Bill Farrell, including 2 Pokes - Alex (86 kg) & JO (65 kg). Eddie Klimara (57 kg) & Derek White (97 kg) will now need to finish top 5 at next month's Senior Nationals. Chandler Rogers (87 kg) will need to do the same in greco.

Eddie will have to wrestle very well because there are quite a few big names that haven't qualified yet. Derek should be OK I think. I thought he looked pretty good the first time down at the new weight, but I believe he will need to be more offensive going forward. FYI, Derek weighed 250 at BTS in May, so he dropped 37 lbs. Chandler took 3rd at the Farrell, so you would think his chances are pretty good.

Last edited:
Just making this 2020 team with 10 weights funneled into 6 will put you into pretty elite company all by itself. I think Daton can and will prevail, but I'm glad he doesn't have to beat all of them! Alex is one of the greatest Cowboys of all time and I will never count him out, but he's going to have 2 world champions likely in his weight just to qualify. I too was impressed with Derek. I've always kept up with the trials, and I even wrestled in the trials in Cleveland, Ohio in 76. This looks like it will be the most hotly contested Olympic Trials in the history of American Wrestling.

Just making this 2020 team with 10 weights funneled into 6 will put you into pretty elite company all by itself. I think Daton can and will prevail, but I'm glad he doesn't have to beat all of them! Alex is one of the greatest Cowboys of all time and I will never count him out, but he's going to have 2 world champions likely in his weight just to qualify. I too was impressed with Derek. I've always kept up with the trials, and I even wrestled in the trials in Cleveland, Ohio in 76. This looks like it will be the most hotly contested Olympic Trials in the history of American Wrestling.

Wow, that's very cool that you competed at the 76 Trials. I almost competed at state once, was darn close to making it too. That ref was blind, no way was I pinned.

Speaking of the Olympics, I noticed on the roster that Daniel Manibog's grandfather wrestled at the 1952 Olympics for the Philippines. He also won multiple national gymnastic championships. Very accomplished outside of athletics also.

Reactions: Pacemaker5
76 was a different process. We had a regional qualifier in OKC, and I qualified by getting to the finals where a man named Sloan, rag dolled me. It did qualify me for the trials, and I went. I made the trip with Ron Ray and Jimmy Jackson and Tom Hazel and I believe Paul Martin, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I was not even a good college wrestler, and I absolutely didn't belong in that tournament, but it's a great memory.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Senior Nationals is this weekend, Flo is streaming. Should be fireworks.

Besides Chandler in greco, several other Pokes are registered right now - Alex (86 kg), Derek (97 kg), Eddie (57 kg), JO (65 kg), Heil (65 kg) and Austin Miller (57 kg). No Daton yet. Could we see AJ Ferrari @ 97 kg?

Also, Helen Maroulis was training in Stillwater earlier this summer and might be representing the CWC. Here she is in an OKST shirt, goofing around at the OTC a few days ago.

Senior Nationals is this weekend, Flo is streaming. Should be fireworks.

Besides Chandler in greco, several other Pokes are registered right now - Alex (86 kg), Derek (97 kg), Eddie (57 kg), JO (65 kg), Heil (65 kg) and Austin Miller (57 kg). No Daton yet. Could we see AJ Ferrari @ 97 kg?

Also, Helen Maroulis was training in Stillwater earlier this summer and might be representing the CWC. Here she is in an OKST shirt, goofing around at the OTC a few days ago.

Doubtful you see Daton or a most others who have already qualified for trials.

Doubtful you see Daton or a most others who have already qualified for trials.

Alex, JO & Nahshon have qualified and are registered. I'm a little surprised we haven't seen Daton compete anywhere yet during his ORS. Several other guys that are qualified just wrestled in Russia. I'm hoping we see him enter some tourneys with Alex starting next month.

Alex, JO & Nahshon have qualified and are registered. I'm a little surprised we haven't seen Daton compete anywhere yet during his ORS. Several other guys that are qualified just wrestled in Russia. I'm hoping we see him enter some tourneys with Alex starting next month.

I should have said most of the world team members as most if not all of them won’t be there.

I think Daton along with some of the other world team guys are taking a break from competition. I’m sure they have a schedule that is seen as the most beneficial to them that was devised by their coaches and USA wrestling.

I should have said most of the world team members as most if not all of them won’t be there.

I think Daton along with some of the other world team guys are taking a break from competition. I’m sure they have a schedule that is seen as the most beneficial to them that was devised by their coaches and USA wrestling.

That's not entirely correct actually. World Teamers Retherford, Green, Snyder & Gwiaz just competed at the Alans in Russia last week. Graff is going greco at Senior Nationals. And Cox and Dake are in the process of weight changes (cutting likely). Daton, JB & Downey are realistically the only 3 that could have competed since September and didn't/won't.

Daton's situation is pretty unique. He's the only World Teamer still in college, but he's taking classes while on an ORS. Hopefully that doesn't prevent him from competing internationally. Alex said he's going to either the Yarygin or a tourney in Italy next month. Hopefully Daton can join him.

That's not entirely correct actually. World Teamers Retherford, Green, Snyder & Gwiaz just competed at the Alans in Russia last week. Graff is going greco at Senior Nationals. And Cox and Dake are in the process of weight changes (cutting likely). Daton, JB & Downey are realistically the only 3 that could have competed since September and didn't/won't.

Daton's situation is pretty unique. He's the only World Teamer still in college, but he's taking classes while on an ORS. Hopefully that doesn't prevent him from competing internationally. Alex said he's going to either the Yarygin or a tourney in Italy next month. Hopefully Daton can join him.

I said most all of the world teams members would not be wrestling at senior nationals which is correct.

I said “some” of the other word team guys were taking a break which is also correct.

I would imagine we will see Daton compete internationally soon.

Yes, whatever he needs to perform his best. I'm sure he's getting exactly what our WT Coaches recommend.. A good interview with Daton would be an Oscar winner around here. Sometimes, I think I missed my calling as an SID.

I said “some” of the other word team guys were taking a break which is also correct.

JB & Downey of the World Teamers not cutting weight. And actually Downey competed at WNO in October, so it's really only JB. But "some" can be one, so yes.

Yes, whatever he needs to perform his best. I'm sure he's getting exactly what our WT Coaches recommend.. A good interview with Daton would be an Oscar winner around here. Sometimes, I think I missed my calling as an SID.

I haven't seen a Daton interview recently, but I have seen a couple with Alex. He mentioned consulting with the coaches multiple times about his training plan and where he expects to compete next. So there's no doubt that Daton is doing the same. My comment was only that I was little surprised to not see him compete anywhere yet. Obviously that's by design as everyone is planning to peak in April.

JB & Downey of the World Teamers not cutting weight. And actually Downey competed at WNO in October, so it's really only JB. But "some" can be one, so yes.

I didn’t say anything about weight in my original post. I said “some” are taking a break which is correct.

There are varying reasons I’m sure but it doesn’t line up with your implying that somehow Daton isn’t being handled or directed well. I’m sure USA wrestling and the RTC coach who has guided his career to a world team as a college FR knows what they are doing.

76 was a different process. We had a regional qualifier in OKC, and I qualified by getting to the finals where a man named Sloan, rag dolled me. It did qualify me for the trials, and I went. I made the trip with Ron Ray and Jimmy Jackson and Tom Hazel and I believe Paul Martin, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I was not even a good college wrestler, and I absolutely didn't belong in that tournament, but it's a great memory.
Haven't heard the name Tom Hazel in over 30 years. He was my 7th grade wrestling coach.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
I didn’t say anything about weight in my original post. I said “some” are taking a break which is correct.

There are varying reasons I’m sure but it doesn’t line up with your implying that somehow Daton isn’t being handled or directed well. I’m sure USA wrestling and the RTC coach who has guided his career to a world team as a college FR knows what they are doing.

You're looking for something that's not there. I was not implying Daton is being coached incorrectly. Who has more experience peaking guys for the Trials & Olympics than John?

I said I was a little surprised we haven't seen Daton yet. If you'd have asked why, I'd have told you I was concerned about a possible injury. Instead the roundabout response regarding other World Teamers took the discussion in a different direction. In the rare instances I happen to disagree with the coaches about something, I just say it directly. No need for any veiled criticism IMO.

You're looking for something that's not there. I was not implying Daton is being coached incorrectly. Who has more experience peaking guys for the Trials & Olympics than John?

I said I was a little surprised we haven't seen Daton yet. If you'd have asked why, I'd have told you I was concerned about a possible injury. Instead the roundabout response regarding other World Teamers took the discussion in a different direction. In the rare instances I happen to disagree with the coaches about something, I just say it directly. No need for veiled criticism IMO.

Fair enough. Hope he isn’t injured. I saw him at the OU dual and he was moving around fine but that doesn’t tell us much.

Fair enough. Hope he isn’t injured. I saw him at the OU dual and he was moving around fine but that doesn’t tell us much.

Actually it was a mistake to even mention my surprise or anything else. And just to clarify, I have no knowledge of any injury and I shouldn't be starting that type of speculation on a message board. Bad job on my part.

Reactions: osu2082
Actually it was a mistake to even mention my surprise or anything else. And just to clarify, I have no knowledge of any injury and I shouldn't be starting that type of speculation on a message board. Bad job on my part.

No worries. Very easy to take “discussions” out of context in text via a message board. I shouldn’t have jumped on you regardless as any good wrestling talk and discussion is much appreciated!

Looks like Daton is going to be going to Rome for the upcoming Olympic qualifier. JO as well.

Good news

Jan15-18. It’s the first UWW ranking tournament of the year (might be why Daton and others haven’t competed yet).

Zain, Nolf, Bo, Snyder, Green, Mckenna, JO and Daton for sure.

Jan15-18. It’s the first UWW ranking tournament of the year (might be why Daton and others haven’t competed yet).

Zain, Nolf, Bo, Snyder, Green, Mckenna, JO and Daton for sure.
No Nolf.Colon and Gilman as well

Alex also. Flo has an article - Dake @ 74 kg, Downey & Valencia @ 86 kg, & Nickal @ 97 kg (interesting).

From the PSU board... Really solid US field.

57KG:
Joseph Daniel COLON (USA)
Daton Duain FIX (USA)
Thomas Patrick GILMAN (USA)

65KG:
Jordan Michael OLIVER (USA)
Zain Allen RETHERFORD (USA)
Joseph Christopher MC KENNA (USA)

74KG:
James Malcolm GREEN (USA)
Kyle Douglas DAKE (USA)
Jason Michael NOLF (USA)

86KG:
Alexander David DIERINGER (USA)
James Patrick DOWNEY III (USA)
Zahid VALENCIA (USA)

97KG:
Hayden Nicholas ZILLMER (USA)
Kyle Frederick SNYDER (USA)
Bo Dean NICKAL (USA)

125KG:
Gable Dan STEVESON (USA)
Anthony Robert NELSON (USA)

Cox is going 97 kg for the OTT. Good news for Alex, Taylor & Zahid. Bad news for Snyder. Nickal should go 86 kg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT