ADVERTISEMENT

Watching wrestling

alex1fly

2nd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Hey everyone hope we are all staying safe and healthy and moderately sane. I thought it would be neat to assemble a thread with resources for watching replays of college wrestling, preferably of our OSU Cowboys. I'm just beginning to search around and will start listing my finds below. Feel free to contribute to the thread with your own searches or just enjoy what gets listed!

Flowrestling has 2019 & 2020 Southern Scuffle
ESPN+ appears to have the 2020 Big 12 Tournament (multiview is the best IMO)

I remember listening to the 97 OSU-Iowa match on the radio. I wish the first two matches were on there. Popolizio getting stalled out. Yagla calling that double stall in OT. I’m glad they changed the OT rules. I loved listening to the announcers. All Hand needs to do is shoot 2 or 3 times and he’ll get the stall call. Haha. I guess when the ref is a Hawkeye you know exactly what it takes to get that stall call.

Reactions: oberebo
In the Oliver/Kindig match, JO gets Kindig on his butt in the third period and it looked eerily like JO/Steiber finals in JO’s sophomore year. In the high school match, JO got the takedown and he didn’t against Steiber.

In the Oliver/Kindig match, JO gets Kindig on his butt in the third period and it looked eerily like JO/Steiber finals in JO’s sophomore year. In the high school match, JO got the takedown and he didn’t against Steiber.

that is why the rule was changed after the Oliver Steiber finals.

Reactions: osu2082
Can anybody find video of the bedlam match where Sheets beat Schultz and Mitch pinned Dr. Death? That was crazy loud for both those matches.

Terry pulled him off a fence and then he crawled like a dog to Gable and just grabbed his leg and stayed there sobbing with Gable petting him like a dog. Tom said he had to walk away it was so disturbing.

Last edited:
Terry pulled him off a fence and then he crawled like a dog to Gable and just grabbed his leg and stayed there sobbing with Gable petting him like a dog. terry said he had to walk away it was so disturbing.
It was actually Terry that lost his match and broke down with Gable. True competitor, incredible piece put together by Flo. With that said, glad Kendall one.

A better video with sound.....
I was at this tournament. Lived in Tacoma, WA, and the wife and I drove to Spokane for the whole Olympic Trials. Loooooved watching Kendall beat Terry, and seeing the way Terry was absolutely crushed made the drive home all the more enjoyable at the time.

Still not a huge fan of the Brands, but man you have to admit they’re a fiery bunch. They’re just so passionate about wrestling, in an “in-your-face” kind of way. Like them or not, they’re who you want on your side if you’re ever in a bar fight.

OSU vs Nebraska; OSU won 41-6; Monday, Perry & Karl Lynes had falls, Sheet 27- SD, John Smith 17-5 SD, Skove & Dykeman had majors. Only one loss and a tie. The Famous Chicken was there and was quite funny especially when he flattened a Nebraska cheerleader (probably would be considered assault today). Wish we could see the whole match or any other match with Sheets and Monday.

This thread has made me wonder about something that I have thought of many times. During the matches there always someone recording the matches, presumably for review by the coaches at later time. What has become of all of those recordings and if they still exist, why don't they make them available?

You are correct. I meant Tom. I will edit that. Always have to think to remember Tom was the one a step ahead. You misspelled won. ; ) One of the news stations or The Oklahoman put up some video of that Bedlam match a few years ago. They showed Mitch pinning Dr. Death. So it’s out there somewhere.

1983 NCAA Wrestling Finals in Oklahoma City

I was there for some great moments but some bad as well.
Sheets Outstanding Wrestler with no offensive pts scored on him and only three escape pts scored against. Defeated #2 wrestler 14-0.

Clar Anderson was our only other champion and I seem to remember that he was the 100th all-time NCAA champ for us.

Monday lost a another tough one to Carr and watching this again I still don't know how Kenny didn't get a takedown at 31:20. I don't remember the exact OB rules at the time, but they looked in.

Matt Skove wrestled well and finished 4th from the 5th seed
Unseeded Leo Baily wrested great and finished 6th beating the #6 seed along the way.
Big, big man Mitch Shelton finished 3rd from the 5th seed losing only to Champ Banach of Iowa 3-1

Amazing disappointment was #1 seed Randy Willingham losing to unseeded John Thorn of ISU and then #8 seed Riley of Iowa in consecutive matches. He was undefeated going into the tournment and had beaten Thorn twice during the season 8-2 and 24-7 in the Big 8. He also beat Riley by a DQ in Iowa; total choke job.

Lynes was also a fairly big disappointment, Seeded #4 he lost his first match and was not pulled into the Cons, so one and out; he did AA the next year.

Mark Perry was only slightly disappointing going 0-1 from unseeded.

Sadly, because of this finish Coach Tommy Chesbro was fired and replaced by Joe Seay who got us a couple national championships but also probation.

I don't know if we would have won if Willingham and Lynes had wrestled to seed, maybe someone else does.

Anyway, this VID is great if only that it is the only full match I've seen of Sheets besides the previous one against Douglas who was always tough for Sheets to turn. My heart almost stopped when Reich hit that Cradle but Mike just muscled through it.

Reactions: Rdcldad
Speaking of watching wrestlers Pic has announced he is going MMA with Zinken.

Heard Picc on Flo talking about his move to MMA. I was hoping he would give freestyle a shot before transitioning to the fight game, but I'm excited to see him compete. He'll be joining DC, Kyle & Jacobe @ AKA. High school wrestlers with MMA goals - pay attention.

Picc will also be a p/t coach at Gilroy HS. How's this for a coaching staff and a wrestling room?

OSU vs Nebraska; OSU won 41-6; Monday, Perry & Karl Lynes had falls, Sheet 27- SD, John Smith 17-5 SD, Skove & Dykeman had majors. Only one loss and a tie. The Famous Chicken was there and was quite funny especially when he flattened a Nebraska cheerleader (probably would be considered assault today). Wish we could see the whole match or any other match with Sheets and Monday.

I had several clases with Karl. The tallest 90 pounder in osu history for sure.

Last edited:
I had several clases with Karl. The tallest 95 pounder in osu history for sure.
1984 OU vs OSU Bedlam Wrestling

Hard to believe how skinny John was. I remember working at the human performance center in the Colvin when the wrestlers were fat tested. It’s seems like John was in the low twos. That’s essentially why they bumped him to 34. He was dangerously thin.

As I recall Johnny was in the blood round and wrestling a top four seed in Ott from Illinois and fell behind and made a remarkable comeback to make sure he placed. He had just lost to Moore in the quarters. When I was doing my brackets before the tournament I had Ott as one of the top guys so we knew it was going to be tough. I think he came back and took the lead and later got a fall, but it was a pretty amazing match. I think he followed up and beat Lee out of Cornell for 3rd place.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that was pretty darned fun to watch. Thanks for correcting me, but that was a great run.

Last edited:
Reactions: L8-agin
As I recall Johnny was in the blood round and wrestling a top four seed in Ott from Illinois and fell behind and made a remarkable comeback to make sure he placed. He had just lost to Moore in the quarters. When I was doing my brackets before the tournament I had Ott as one of the top guys so we knew it was going to be tough. I think he came back and took the lead and later got a fall, but it was a pretty amazing match. I think he followed up and beat Lee out of Cornell for 3rd place.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that was pretty darned fun to watch.

After he lost to Moore he beat Scott Jorgenson from Boise then he pinned Jayne from Illinois who was the #2 seed then beat Lee who was the #1 seed in the consolations semi finals before beating Vazquez from Cal Poly for 3rd

Reactions: L8-agin
After he lost to Moore he beat Scott Jorgenson from Boise then he pinned Jayne from Illinois who was the #2 seed then beat Lee who was the #1 seed in the consolations semi finals before beating Vazquez from Cal Poly for 3rd

He had a great run through the back side of the bracket and finished a disappointing year, based on his previous years, and his career really strong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT