ADVERTISEMENT

Walmart to purchase 4500 Canoo vehicles.....

Reactions: OSUJOCK
I hope it works, but there are a bunch of conditions that Canoo has to meet for this to happen according to what I saw on CNBC this morning. It’s not impossible, but it isn’t going to be easy either.
They are cool vehicles. This whole raw materials shortage is killing the EV startups

Since they are driving on roads that are paid for through state/federal gas taxes, and they are not having to pay those such taxes, will their be a mileage tax for EV’s?

Since they are driving on roads that are paid for through state/federal gas taxes, and they are not having to pay those such taxes, will their be a mileage tax for EV’s?
I’m sure at some point

Ya I live near the town where it was proposed. There was a contingent that was bitching about the TIF that got it pushed back to a vote this fall. I think panisonic got sick of waiting. Group of dumb people who apparently not into bettering their area or state?
Don’t know how much of a role that played. Stitt and the state f’d it up. It was pretty much a done deal.

Don’t know how much of a role that played. Stitt and the state f’d it up. It was pretty much a done deal.

It was a failure on multiple levels, but like you said, mostly at the top. As badly as Stitt wants to pretend like he’s doing so much to attract business to the State, he continues to piss people off in those efforts.

I thought stitt passed a state package to get them here. And locally was working on a tiff. I know some state reps were apparently not wanting them here politically. And locally the yodels were whining about a TIF that should have been passed

I thought stitt passed a state package to get them here. And locally was working on a tiff. I know some state reps were apparently not wanting them here politically. And locally the yodels were whining about a TIF that should have been passed
I don’t know much about the TIF honestly. I think Stitt and his team did some things behind the scenes that messed up the deal. Like TC there were probably failures up and down but somethings happened at the top that played a huge role.

I don’t know much about the TIF honestly. I think Stitt and his team did some things behind the scenes that messed up the deal. Like TC there were probably failures up and down but somethings happened at the top that played a huge role.
Crazy bungle then. Because at one point indications sure seemed like the decision was made for Oklahoma

Yes. It’s all being planned out now.

Ya I live near the town where it was proposed. There was a contingent that was bitching about the TIF that got it pushed back to a vote this fall. I think panisonic got sick of waiting. Group of dumb people who apparently not into bettering their area or state?
This is a massive loss for Oklahoma. This was a very significant factory. It was all part of the plan to turn Northwest Arkansas in northeast Oklahoma into the new Detroit. Sheer stupidity they let this one slip through their fingers

Reactions: colcord
I hope it works, but there are a bunch of conditions that Canoo has to meet for this to happen according to what I saw on CNBC this morning. It’s not impossible, but it isn’t going to be easy either.
I know quite a bit about this whole situation. It’s been the perfect storm of bad stuff as far as timing to build a new manufacturing plant goes. But do not underestimate the relationship with Walmart. It’s a game changer. And they’ve been chosen by the US Army to supply a couple vehicles. That could be a huge contract if it comes to pass.

This is a massive loss for Oklahoma. This was a very significant factory. It was all part of the plan to turn Northwest Arkansas in northeast Oklahoma into the new Detroit. Sheer stupidity they let this one slip through their fingers
Agree. Now I don’t think it was all on the tif. Kansas galvanized their entire legislature to bend over backward with a by partisan package for panisonic. While our dipshits bickered amongst each other. Really sad because I heard at one point they were pretty much ready to come. Kansas just completely stepped in and took it.

Reactions: colcord
I know quite a bit about this whole situation. It’s been the perfect storm of bad stuff as far as timing to build a new manufacturing plant goes. But do not underestimate the relationship with Walmart. It’s a game changer. And they’ve been chosen by the US Army to supply a couple vehicles. That could be a huge contract if it comes to pass.

It would not shock me at all if at the end of the day, Walmart owns Canoo.

They own tons of stuff that isn’t Walmart or sold in Walmart. It would still be Canoo and look like an electric vehicle company. Walmart would just own it.
So I couldn’t drive my new canoo out the front doors?

It would not shock me at all if at the end of the day, Walmart owns Canoo.
Part of the order for 4500 trucks included the right for Walmart to buy 20% of Canoo at about 2 something a share. In addition, Canoo is not allowed to sell any of their cars or trucks to Amazon. It has now shaped up to be Rivian/Amazon vs Canoo/Walmart.

Reactions: SquinkY5786
Agree. Now I don’t think it was all on the tif. Kansas galvanized their entire legislature to bend over backward with a by partisan package for panisonic. While our dipshits bickered amongst each other. Really sad because I heard at one point they were pretty much ready to come. Kansas just completely stepped in and took it.
I'm not of fan of Oklahoma legislation on any real level but I think they did everything they were asked to to make this deal happen. This stepped up and got it all passed quick. I could be wrong and maybe I missed something.

I'm not in OK any longer but I think EVs pay more for the annual OK registration to cover some of that.

Reactions: OSUJOCK

Its crazy. I live in Joplin, MO, so I hear news from Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri. It amazes me how different the 4 states are going. Missouri keeps either passing laws or allowing the judicial to overstep their role in either creating or throwing out laws that are making businesses leave the state. This area keeps growing though thanks to the insane growth of NW Arkansas. Oklahoma is doing the right things, but just can't seem to get over the hump and pull in a big brand in these deals. Kansas isn't as publicly open about their business practices, but they are very ninja in making their offers and working behind the scenes.

I think Missouri is in the early stages of becoming a cautionary tale. When I moved here in 1992, it was a 50/50 state. If the cities voted in numbers, Dems won, if they didn't, GOP won. Now it is pretty much GOP ran. Notice I said GOP and not conservative. Next week should end up being a blood bath for incumbents in primaries. Most of which voted to raise gas taxes by HUGE amounts, allowed the judicial to shred manufacturing protections, etc. I know for a fact that two companies that generate over $100 million in tax revenue have relocated their headquarters out of Missouri for that very reason.

Reactions: 77cowboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT