ADVERTISEMENT

Voting for Oklahoma Judges

Cordellhall83

All-Big12
May 29, 2001
I'm curious, just about every election when we have a YES or NO vote for a judge, about 65% vote YES and 35% vote NO to retain. I'm part of the 35% who vote NO. I vote NO because i believe the longer someone stays in a position of power the more likely they can become corrupt. Power Corrupts. I'm sure I've voted against some fine folks...but quite frankly I do not know these judges. I would venture that the majority of the voters do not know the judges either. So the question is why do they always get 65%ish of the vote as a YES? Is it that people don't want to be "negative" and so they vote a positive YES? Right or wrong, I justify my NO...I've just never heard why so many vote YES.

Great question.

Is rivals screwy today? Threads are posted in triplicate, I can't post and then it posted twice, etc.

Great question.

Is rivals screwy today? Threads are posted in triplicate, I can't post and then it posted twice, etc.

Great question.

I'm curious, just about every election when we have a YES or NO vote for a judge, about 65% vote YES and 35% vote NO to retain. I'm part of the 35% who vote NO. I vote NO because i believe the longer someone stays in a position of power the more likely they can become corrupt. Power Corrupts. I'm sure I've voted against some fine folks...but quite frankly I do not know these judges. I would venture that the majority of the voters do not know the judges either. So the question is why do they always get 65%ish of the vote as a YES? Is it that people don't want to be "negative" and so they vote a positive YES? Right or wrong, I justify my NO...I've just never heard why so many vote YES.
I always vote no too

I agree and also vote no to retain judges (or at least did here in Florida). That said, I believe in states that are reliably partisan, there is an assumption that the judges (which don't show political affiliation on the ballot) were elected based on their alignment to the partisan principles of the state and so if you don't know about them, or there wasn't a particular campaign or story against one of them, you just vote yes to maintain.

No statistical analysis behind this, just my perception of why it occurs.

I'm not in Oklahoma, but pulled up the judges on the ballot and all had "bipartisan", understood. So all of the judges that were from a liberal city/county were a no and others a yes. Might have missed, but felt I did as much as I needed.

Retention is only for Appellate level Judges in Oklahoma.

I’ve practiced in front of them at some point, so I vote based upon personal knowledge.

Some no, some yes.

Retention is only for Appellate level Judges in Oklahoma.

I’ve practiced in front of them at some point, so I vote based upon personal knowledge.

Some no, some yes.

You have first hand experience with some of these judges, which obviously is a big difference from the rest of us in the peanut gallery.:D

Reactions: colcord
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT