ADVERTISEMENT

Visio versus Samsung - big screen tv comparison

CBradSmith

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2005
So,

Went out with the family for Thanksgiving/Black Friday shopping. It's kinda fun with the crowds and excitement. My sister likes to buy a bunch of stuff for her little girls due to the sales.

Long story short, I ended up impulse purchasing a 65" Visio tv at Walmart for $650. Standing in line to checkout, I had reservations, still do, haven't got it out of the box yet. It is a Walmart "exclusive" so reviews on the tv are only just now coming out, and they seem mixed. However, I imagine that people with negative experiences this early into the product release are much more motivated to get online to discuss their views...most likely skewing the overall quality/lack of quality of the tv.

On the other hand, I talked my dad into getting this tv for their living room a year ago. Samsung UN55D7000 - 55: LED Smart TV - 1080p. link attached. I love that thing. Also love the 42" Samsung I got for my bedroom earlier this year.

Question is does anybody has some experiences with Visio tvs they'd like to share? This may be a "low end" version that, once out of the box, the drawbacks are clear. Samsung has, in my mind, established itself, and I wouldn't be surprised if I take the Visio back and pay the extra 3-400 to get a slightly smaller, but much more quality tv of theirs.

Any thoughts, feedback from you electronic/tv enthusiasts?

Only complaint I have ever had with Visios is the lack of wattage in the speakers. But, if you have a surround sound, soundbar, etc., that problem has been solved.

Picture quality is great, prices are great and their customer service has been great the one time we did have and issue. Hdmi got bent due to a cat tripping on wires, they paid for the repair without question.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It depends on a few things, IMO. You want 1080p and a refresh rate of 120hz or higher for sports. Samsung has some BS refresh rate that is a gimmick. basically the Hz is half the Samsung refresh rate.

I have 10 Samsung TVs, including the 55" you have, and would never buy anything else.

Why would you buy a Visio when you could have a Sewny?

In all seriousness, Vizio seems like a decent enough brand. But one thing is for sure, I would never buy a "Wal-Mart exclusive" TV no matter what brand it is. You can fully expect it to have the cheapest parts. Of course, you already should expect that when you pay $650 for a 65 inch TV...
This post was edited on 11/29 4:03 PM by orangepride2002

I have both Samsung and Vizio right now. The Samsung is fan-freaking-tastic. The Vizio is really good. I just needed an upstairs TV that gets watched occasionally #firstworldproblems so I got the Vizio. It's perfect for that. The speakers have been a slight issue, but a small sound bar is a cheap and easy fix. If you are looking for a main TV that is going to be watched often I would spend the extra dough for the Samsung.

I have both vizios and samsung. The vizio lost its hdmi capabilities after a year so now it can only be used by coax/RCA . Samsung has had no issues.

I bought a 60" Vizio last year at Walmart on thanksgiving day. It was a nut house. Our Vizio is really good and has great picture. We have surround sound so the speakers aren't really needed.

I can say you probably made a good purchase (based on quality control).

That is a great price for a 65" inch TV. Open it and enjoy.

This summer I chose between a 70" Vizio and a 70" Sharp. I ultimately chose the Sharp, but I am sure the Vizio would be fine. Have a Vizio in my office and have had no issues.

Dude you got a 65 inch tv for 650 dollars. Price is an issue or you wouldn't have been out shopping and bought the thing.

Open the box and fire it up man.

I have a 60 inch sharp. I love it and will buy another. If money was no object is buy a top of the line Samsung. They're the best TV on the market in my opinion but I'm not gonna pay double for it.

I have Samsung 60 inch 8000 series. It's the bomb, but it's 1 1/2 years old now. That's like 60 in human age probably.

I've got both and the Vizio is actually a great value. I've had a couple of minor problems with both. The 55' Samsung won't load the picture when I switch HDMI inputs without starting every once in a while.

The Vizio loses sound when I do the same thing. Basically, when I switch between HDMI input for either TV, one loses sound, the other loses picture, requiring a restart of the TV.

You think that's old Jack? I've got a 50 inch Sony SXRD from 2006 in my bedroom.

I hate to get rid of it. It works perfectly, the picture is amazing, and we've grown old together.

It's a lot like me. Has trouble getting up and around but if you just give it a couple of minutes it'll be fine. It's a lot bigger than it's you get counterparts, but experience and character go a long way!

To tag on to this thread.....i am in the market for a curved tv. Are they any good?

So I was one of the lucky ones to get the Samsung 4k in a 55 inch for 900 bucks. I felt like I hit the lottery. I was gonna wait a few more months before buying a tv but that deal just seemed to good to pass up.

Originally posted by JonnyVito:

So I was one of the lucky ones to get the Samsung 4k in a 55 inch for 900 bucks. I felt like I hit the lottery. I was gonna wait a few more months before buying a tv but that deal just seemed to good to pass up.

Vito, is that this model: UN55HU6840
Amazon says it is 60hz, Walmart had it at 240. Saw an explanation saying that the 240 is really a measurement Samsung created that they feel more accurately reflects picture quality. I've looked at it as a possible target if the Vizio doesn't work out.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I'm going to sit on the Vizio for a few weeks while also looking at the other tvs. It looks like I have, at minimum, 15 days to return, and up to 90 days.

Amazon

Originally posted by CBradSmith:
Originally posted by JonnyVito:

Vito, is that this model: UN55HU6840
Amazon says it is 60hz, Walmart had it at 240. Saw an explanation saying that the 240 is really a measurement Samsung created that they feel more accurately reflects picture quality. I've looked at it as a possible target if the Vizio doesn't work out.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I'm going to sit on the Vizio for a few weeks while also looking at the other tvs. It looks like I have, at minimum, 15 days to return, and up to 90 days.
yep that is the one. I got it on Amazon on Thanksgiving. Gets here Wednesday so I haven't got to review it yet. Hoping to have it hooked up for Bedlam.

Bus I have a 2006 Samsung 61" DLP. I'm on bulb #2. Once it's done, if not before, I'm upgrading.

Originally posted by EvilPOKES:
Visio is no longer a Walmart exclusive, fwiw.
No but like every company they give Walmart an "exclusive model", so they can give Walmart a cheap TV and not bring down the ratings of similar models.

Originally posted by shortbus:
You think that's old Jack? I've got a 50 inch Sony SXRD from 2006 in my bedroom.

I hate to get rid of it. It works perfectly, the picture is amazing, and we've grown old together.

It's a lot like me. Has trouble getting up and around but if you just give it a couple of minutes it'll be fine. It's a lot bigger than it's you get counterparts, but experience and character go a long way!
I have a nice Samsung DLP TV from 2008 in my bedroom. I'm sure the bulb is pretty dim, but we pretty much watch it at night with the lights out so it doesn't matter to me.

Looks like I will get it tomorrow. I am like a kid waiting on Christmas, FedEx needs to hurry up. I had to run up to Best Buy last night and I checked the model out I bought and I was impressed with the picture.

Well got the tv and so far I really like it. The sound is really nice for just coming with the tv. The picture is awesome on it but I didn't have HDMI hooks up on my last one so a huge upgrade for me. I haven't really got to play with as I just set it up and went through the start up menu for the most part. I love that it is a smart tv so I can watch certain stuff off the web on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT