ADVERTISEMENT

US Trails

it’s all a moot point until smith and the AD see it as a priority. That’s what is frustrating about being a fan.
Is it certain that they don’t view it as a priority? Maybe they do see it as a priority and are having a difficult time with fundraising?

Is it certain that they don’t view it as a priority? Maybe they do see it as a priority and are having a difficult time with fundraising?

The amount of money needed to hire another coach and a pay a few senior level athletes is very little in the e grand scheme of things. If wanted to do it and were committed to doing it we would already be doing it.

Should be a different threat but can someone remind me: Monday struggled to beat carr in college. He beats one of the Shultz brothers in 88 trials and wins gold. Did Carr go a different weight?

it’s all a moot point until smith and the AD see it as a priority. That’s what is frustrating about being a fan.
Good grief! Give it up, it doesn't have anything to do with whether they "see it as a priority" this has been explained numerous times.

It is simple, we really have to get on the ball with the RTC. Daton's suspension most likely has a lot to due with this discussion. Sitting out a year has a ton to do with his lack of development, it just has to.

But it does look like we are falling behind with each passing year. Again, I don't know what the answer is, but if John doesn't want it, then it will wait until his retirement...and one may end up pushing the other.

It looks simple to the fanbase that we are behind the elite because of our lack of commitment to an RTC. I don't think funds are the issue, history and tradition are definitely not the issue, recruiting has been good enough, development is an issue; which recruiting and development seem to be pointing at our level of an RTC.

It is simple, we really have to get on the ball with the RTC. Daton's suspension most likely has a lot to due with this discussion. Sitting out a year has a ton to do with his lack of development, it just has to.

But it does look like we are falling behind with each passing year. Again, I don't know what the answer is, but if John doesn't want it, then it will wait until his retirement...and one may end up pushing the other.

It looks simple to the fanbase that we are behind the elite because of our lack of commitment to an RTC. I don't think funds are the issue, history and tradition are definitely not the issue, recruiting has been good enough, development is an issue; which recruiting and development seem to be pointing at our level of an RTC.
I'll ask again: why did John become the head coach?

Because he's the greatest ever to step on the mat and he wore Orange.

IMO, he is the best coach in the country as well. He is not getting to play with a full deck.

Im not sure what you are getting at. Nobody is questioning John’s credentials or abilities but the landscape in recruiting, development and running a program has changed and as of now we haven’t followed suit and it has and is limiting our ceiling as a program.

Did he become coach because we received sanctions from the NCAA for breaking rules?

I would've agreed earlier in the season. But we just finished third at NCAAs behind PSU who's unquestionably been the best D1 wrestling program of the 2010s and Iowa that has always been a top 10 program and has risen back to top 3 dominance in the last couple of years. How many programs with RTCs did we finish ahead of? I don't have an exhaustive list of D1 programs with RTCs, but as of now the answer is pretty clearly "everyone else besides Iowa and PSU". That's enough for me to stop banging my drum for OSU to follow anyone's lead on flagrantly breaking rules in the name of winning a championship, at least temporarily. Either do it within the rules or don't do it. The NCAA is ruthless and would probably love to make OSU and the Big 12 look bad. It would be great to have more post-college guys for training partners, that's the whole impetus of this RTC argument right? Not to have Olympians coming out of Stillwater necessarily, but to have been-there-done-that elite talent to scrap with our college team. There have to be other ways of achieving this goal that don't involve rulebreaking, regardless of who else is doing it.

Reactions: turfpoke
Good grief! Give it up, it doesn't have anything to do with whether they "see it as a priority" this has been explained numerous times.
Oooookaaay, I’m not sure what is getting your panties in a bunch. Is something wrong with not saying it’s a priority?

I have no idea. I don’t pretend to know what he is thinking
It does not appear that he is ever going to. If all of your hopes on winning are to go all in on an RTC, you are going to be disappointed. So what are our alternatives? My recommendation is to hope the uptick in recruiting pays off in the next few years....and beyond. Mr Fasttwitch says we are bringing home the title next year.

It does not appear that he is ever going to. If all of your hopes on winning are to go all in on an RTC, you are going to be disappointed. So what are our alternatives? My recommendation is to hope the uptick in recruiting pays off in the next few years....and beyond. Mr Fasttwitch says we are bringing home the title next year.
I hope he’s right and he could be. Time will tell

We lied to the investigators. Had we not done that it would've been a slap on the wrist.
That’s a fact. The coaches encouraged the athletes to lie about $3 meals or gas money. It became an inquisition and pissed off the NCAA officials. Otherwise it would have been a slap on the hand. That’s from John smith, pat smith and Kendall cross

You could be right but I’m still going to champion this cause. In my mind, it’s not settled. He is an innovator and maybe he’ll see the light. Or, maybe I’m wrong, and he innovates our program in a different and better direction. That is always a possibility. And then, I will eat my words, with pleasure.

May 6-9 in Bulgaria I believe.

Last edited:
I think we are going to have to get Jordan Oliver on here to tell us. I’ve seen 3 different dates as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT