ADVERTISEMENT

US Reliance On Russian Oil Surges

Any idea what the import number was say Q1 last year vs. Q1 this year?

Why yes I do, do you? Fact of the matter is US imports of Russian Oil are up quite a bit in 2021 compared to the Trump years. If Trump were the President Democrats would be trying to impeach Trump with the full blessing and support of the MSM and people like you. I guess you leftist enjoy being manipulated for the benefit of others, it's the only explanation I can come up with.

Oil is up around $71. Joe’s kickin ass as far as I’m concerned. Keep it up Joe. Seen several predictions of $100 oil. Bring it on!

Reactions: Bitter Creek
Oil is up around $71. Joe’s kickin ass as far as I’m concerned. Keep it up Joe. Seen several predictions of $100 oil. Bring it on!
trust me, it's an unintended consequence for ole joe. he's clueless and unfortunately things that happen by accident like the price of oil usually end up scattered across the landscape. Everything is a tradeoff and let's hope ole joe ain't tradin' away too much. Like I said, he's clueless as to any intentional track here on oil...i.e. he's not driving the bus.

from Russia only 650,000 b/d in Q1 2021 and 540,000 b/d in 2020.
Do you have a source for your data? Not sure your math works out...

Jan 2020: 18,637
Feb 2020: 17,806
Mar 2020: 20,008
Q1 2020 total (thousands of bbls): 56,541

Jan 2021: 20,104
Feb 2021: 12,691
Mar 2021: 22,938
Q1 2021 total (thousands of bbls): 55,733

That is a decrease of about 800k bbls QOQ. When you consider imports as a percentage of overall consumption Russian import share has declined even more.

For those who are curious about the numbers...

@blbronco -
Q1 2018 (thousands of bbls): 31,299
Q1 2019 (thousands of bbls): 28,249

That’s a 17-20% increase in one quarter @david, depending on the math you use in your rainbow. Not too bad now but I’ll be hating it trying not to freeze next winter
Except the numbers don't jive with the official tracking. You might want to get propane if you live in Texas. Time to take matters into your own hands given the incompetence of Abbott and team.

Why yes I do, do you? Fact of the matter is US imports of Russian Oil are up quite a bit in 2021 compared to the Trump years. If Trump were the President Democrats would be trying to impeach Trump with the full blessing and support of the MSM and people like you. I guess you leftist enjoy being manipulated for the benefit of others, it's the only explanation I can come up with.
All of this is suss, but since we are grabbing numbers out of context, let's play...

Was Q1 2020 part of the Trump years?

Trump's first term was higher than Obamas in cumulative imports from Russia, wasn't it? Certainly, Obama II was higher. Overall, Trump's single term ranks second highest in US history for Russian oil imports.

All of this is suss, but since we are grabbing numbers out of context, let's play...

Trump's first term was higher than Obamas in cumulative imports from Russia, wasn't it? Certainly, Obama II was higher. Overall, Trump's single term ranks second highest in US history for Russian oil imports.
Oh, good, David I see you’re on the board. I started a thread with a question for you, it’s several threads from the top now, because you haven’t replied. It has your name in the title. I don’t know if you have decided to ignore me again, if you haven’t seen the question, or you just don’t want to answer. But it was a legitimate question honestly asked. God knows we have our differences, but I’m truly curious on how you’d answer the question.

Trump was supposedly the Russian stooge while Biden was the one that was to get tough with Russia. As usual we see that was another lie.

Are you saying Trump had somehow halted it but Biden enabled it? Is that your case? Pretty weak.

Biden is the one that you nut jobs trusted to get tough on Russia after you falsely accused Trump of working with the Russians for 4 years yet Biden had given Russia everything they wanted. Where is your same criticism? You wanted Trump gone and replaced with this corrupt geriatric fool at least be honest enough to admit Biden is not what you thought he was.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Biden is the one that you nut jobs trusted to get tough on Russia after you falsely accused Trump of working with the Russians for 4 years yet Biden had given Russia everything they wanted. Where is your same criticism? You wanted Trump gone and replaced with this corrupt geriatric fool at least be honest enough to admit Biden is not what you thought he was.
Biden is pretty much what I expected. His performance with Russia this far is meh. He is a vast improvement on all counts thus far.

• Haha
Reactions: OUSOONER67
How is your 401k doing? I seem to recall that was the ultimate test of POTUS bad assedness.

Mine is doing great, with a good portion in real estate but at my age it's not about me anymore, it's about my kids and their kids. That's where we differ. I've made it and will be able to weather most anything Democrats can come up with but my kids are in the beginning stages of their adult lives. Leaving them a country that is going down the shitter is not something I'm in favor of.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Do you have a source for your data? Not sure your math works out...

Jan 2020: 18,637
Feb 2020: 17,806
Mar 2020: 20,008
Q1 2020 total (thousands of bbls): 56,541

Jan 2021: 20,104
Feb 2021: 12,691
Mar 2021: 22,938
Q1 2021 total (thousands of bbls): 55,733

That is a decrease of about 800k bbls QOQ. When you consider imports as a percentage of overall consumption Russian import share has declined even more.

For those who are curious about the numbers...

@blbronco -
Q1 2018 (thousands of bbls): 31,299
Q1 2019 (thousands of bbls): 28,249
Davidalllen, you have validated who we all think you are. Nothing more than a Google nerd. Your source is bogus. When you come to this board with bullshit sources you really demean yourself with us that know the subject matter. You must do better or shut the **** up and stop feeling you need to respond with flimsy google searches. In case you have not heard, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. The EIA is a US government funded organization that traditionally gets everything wrong and issues numerous corrections over long periods of time. To my knowledge no authority reports market statistics to EIA without specific request and then the minimum is provided. The most credible crude oil market reports (available to us free of charge) such as production per country, storage or stocks, shipping/transportation, orders/futures, deliveries, etc. is S&P Global Platts in London. Most of this data is provided in very detailed reports that are for sale by subscription.

from S&P Global Platts - 16 April 2021

US imports of Russian crude and petroleum products were at their highest level in almost a decade last year, and a similar pattern is playing out in 2021.

In January, the US imported 648,000 b/d of Russian crude and products, the highest monthly volume from its rival producer since June 2012, EIA data shows.

US imports of Russian oil averaged 538,000 b/d in 2020 from 520,000 b/d in 2019 and their highest since 2011 when they averaged 624,000 b/d, according to the EIA. Demand for Russian crudes such as Urals and Varandey have also picked up in recent months.

Total Russian oil imports are even higher than flows from key ally Saudi Arabia. The EIA data shows the US has imported more oil from Russia than Saudi for at least six consecutive months to January 2021.

"It looks and feels to me that this is a pull by US refiners looking to replace some of its heavy oil supplies that were lost by other sources," Finely said.

"This is not a strategic push by Russia as such, it is purely an economical and market-driven trend," he added.

The bulk of these flows have been delivered to ExxonMobil's 560,500 b/d Baytown plant, Valero's 335,000 b/d Port Arthur and 340,000 b/d St. Charles facilities, and Chevron's 356,400 b/d Pascagoula and 269,000 b/d El Segundo refineries, according to data from S&P Global Platts trade flow software cFlow.

UNQUOTE

Davidalllen, you have validated who we all think you are. Nothing more than a Google nerd. Your source is bogus. When you come to this board with bullshit sources you really demean yourself with us that know the subject matter. You must do better or shut the **** up and stop feeling you need to respond with flimsy google searches. In case you have not heard, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. The EIA is a US government funded organization that traditionally gets everything wrong and issues numerous corrections over long periods of time. To my knowledge no authority reports market statistics to EIA without specific request and then the minimum is provided. The most credible crude oil market reports (available to us free of charge) such as production per country, storage or stocks, shipping/transportation, orders/futures, deliveries, etc. is S&P Global Platts in London. Most of this data is provided in very detailed reports that are for sale by subscription.

US imports of Russian crude and petroleum products were at their highest level in almost a decade last year, and a similar pattern is playing out in 2021.

In January, the US imported 648,000 b/d of Russian crude and products, the highest monthly volume from its rival producer since June 2012, EIA data shows.

US imports of Russian oil averaged 538,000 b/d in 2020 from 520,000 b/d in 2019 and their highest since 2011 when they averaged 624,000 b/d, according to the EIA. Demand for Russian crudes such as Urals and Varandey have also picked up in recent months.

Total Russian oil imports are even higher than flows from key ally Saudi Arabia. The EIA data shows the US has imported more oil from Russia than Saudi for at least six consecutive months to January 2021.

"It looks and feels to me that this is a pull by US refiners looking to replace some of its heavy oil supplies that were lost by other sources," Finely said.

"This is not a strategic push by Russia as such, it is purely an economical and market-driven trend," he added.

The bulk of these flows have been delivered to ExxonMobil's 560,500 b/d Baytown plant, Valero's 335,000 b/d Port Arthur and 340,000 b/d St. Charles facilities, and Chevron's 356,400 b/d Pascagoula and 269,000 b/d El Segundo refineries, according to data from S&P Global Platts trade flow software cFlow.

UNQUOTE

AnimatedThornyEasternnewt-max-1mb.gif

UNQUOTE
lol 648,000 b/d comes out to 19,504 Mbls in January. The hated EIA estimate of was actually 600,000 barells too high.

You guys know what drives the amount of crude imports from Russia right?

Are you saying Trump had somehow halted it but Biden enabled it? Is that your case? Pretty weak.
Nord Stream, now there is a pipeline that I know a lot about. I was involved in NordStream One. No one halted Nord Stream 1 or 2. Trump economically forced Allseas (Dutch) to pull anchor and move off the subsea installation of the NS2 pipeline only when it was 90%. The Russians bought an offshore pipelay barge constructed in China and Korea and will finish the shore approach (10%). Now the Russians are in the international offshore business. Biden is far too stupid to have a logical thought on something as intricate as Nord Stream. It was his boss (the fraud Obama) that took issue with Russia selling gas directly to the EU, bypassing Ukraine. This is why Biden was sent to Ukraine with his idiot son in tow. Trump inherited the Nord Stream problem. Trump took a businessman approach and wanted the USA to withdraw the sanctions imposed on Russia. Russia does not give two shits about USA sanctions against them. Good reason, they have never proven effective. Gazprom owes (owed) US corporations involved in Nord Stream over $800 million. Gazprom withheld all payments to US companies when sanctions were imposed. The US Senate knew this would happen but did it anyway.

Why is the US so concerned about the EU buying gas from Russia? There have been all sorts of bullshit excuses but none are valid. Russia exported gas to the EU through Ukraine. Ukraine conveniently collected the EU money but forgot to pay Gazprom for supply. The bill went over $7 billion before Gazprom shut it down and started direct sales through NordStream 1. In steps Obama with his support of Ukraine. A war/revolution took place. Crimea had enough and sided with Russia with 80% of the Crimean population. This further enraged The Fraud in Washington DC.

Biden HAD to lift sanctions against Gazprom. He had no choice. Russia was going to expose he and Hunter's backroom deals with Burisma. This is why he was so limp dicked when face to face with Putin. The Dems glorified this as Biden's success in releasing $800 million to US contractors and supplier.

Davidallen, you are wading around in a subject that you should stay away from. There is no amount of Googling will tell you the REAL story. My source is Sergey Serdyukov, Sr. Technical Director Nord Stream One, now senior Gazprom board level staff. I speak with him a few times a week. My family has vacationed with his in Sochi, Geneva & Zurich, Dubai and Thailand. Through him I met Alexey Miller, Gerhard Schroder & Mattias Warnig of Nord Stream fame (names for you to Goggle).

The USA has no business in meddling with Nord Stream. Screw Obama and screw the dimwitted Biden.

BTW: The USA imported about 6.2 MMb/d of crude oil in 2020 so we got approximately 8.7% of our imports from Russia. We will soon see a correction in EIA data that says USA imported more oil from Russia than Saudi Arabia. This is highly unlikely according to discussions with Oil & Gas Journal.

The price/availability of Saudi oil. The refineries in the US need some heavy sour stuff to mix with the light sweet they get from shale.
Congratulations you scored a big fat F on that test question. So your answers is that if we don't have enough Saudi crude then we need Russian crude to offset the West Texas Intermediate (sweet Light crude) at the US refineries? You get an D for googling an F answer. What if I told you that all the oil lifted and delivered to US refiners from the Gulf of Mexico, Mexico, North Slope Alaska, Canada, UAE, Egypt, Kuwait and Iraq all fall into the same heavy sour category as Saudi? What if I told you Russia supplies both light and heavy crude to the US depending on the production location? Do you think shale is producing so many barrels that we MUST buy from Russia to offset the Saudi supply? What did we do a few years ago before shale was commercially viable? There are far more heavy sour suppliers in this market than sweet light producers. Kazakhstan Tengiz Field led by Chevron is the heaviest commercial sour producer in the current market. Bonny Light in the Niger Delta is the lightest commercial grade today.

How much of an effort do you think it takes to recalibrate a refinery to accommodate a different blend of crude viscosities?

We buy under 9% of our crude from Russia for one major reason, diversity and security of supply. Russia is not part of OPEC. The USA allowed OPEC to cut our nuts off in the 70s with an oil embargo. We had most (84%) of our oil imports coming from Saudi & Venezuela at that time. The two top producers of OPEC at the time.

I have a question for you. I hope you can be truthful to some extent. Why do you feel the need to serve up some weak comments to support your lack of knowledge? I would be interested to know what line of business is you are in and your age. I am under no illusions. You will not reveal yourself.

According to SiL he is a Junior College Econ Prof; he hasn’t ever disputed that characterization (that I have seen) so maybe that shoe fits

Congratulations you scored a big fat F on that test question. So your answers is that if we don't have enough Saudi crude then we need Russian crude to offset the West Texas Intermediate (sweet Light crude) at the US refineries? You get an D for googling an F answer. What if I told you that all the oil lifted and delivered to US refiners from the Gulf of Mexico, Mexico, North Slope Alaska, Canada, UAE, Egypt, Kuwait and Iraq all fall into the same heavy sour category as Saudi?
What if I told you there was a shortfall of about 20 million barrels of Gulf of Mexico, Mexico, North Slope Alaska, Canada, UAE, Egypt, Kuwait Iraq and Saudi crude in January?
What if I told you Russia supplies both light and heavy crude to the US depending on the production location? Do you think shale is producing so many barrels that we MUST buy from Russia to offset the Saudi supply?
Oil is purchased on the open market. Refineries are going to go with the cheapest sources to get their inputs, it is simple as that.
How much of an effort do you think it takes to recalibrate a refinery to accommodate a different blend of crude viscosities?
You could recalibrate your refinery, or use the setup you spent considerable capex on to refine cheaper crude. Your call.
We buy under 9% of our crude from Russia for one major reason, diversity and security of supply. Russia is not part of OPEC. The USA allowed OPEC to cut our nuts off in the 70s with an oil embargo. We had most (84%) of our oil imports coming from Saudi & Venezuela at that time. The two top producers of OPEC at the time.
What determines the fluctuation month to month and year to year?
I have a question for you. I hope you can be truthful to some extent. Why do you feel the need to serve up some weak comments to support your lack of knowledge?
Why do you feel the need to supply all of this superfluous information that doesn't answer the question? I am very proud of you for knowing what crude is heaviest which is lightest and for knowing what countries are in OPEC, but that doesn't help anyone understand why imports from Russia where higher in January 2021 than they were in 2020.

But that doesn't help anyone (I think you mean YOU) understand why imports from Russia where higher in January 2021 than they were in 2020.
Why did you not say so dumbass? We imported more from Russia in January 2021 versus January 2020 because of this dimwitted bastard in the White House. When an inept president suspends the flow of North American oil it is imperative to find it elsewhere. BTW No additional capex is required to recalibrate a refinery. 20 million barrels is about 3 days. That quantity could be made up by Abu Dhabi alone.

Why did you not say so dumbass? We imported more from Russia in January 2021 versus January 2020 because of this dimwitted bastard in the White House.
The first 20 days of January or the last 11?
When an inept president suspends the flow of North American oil it is imperative to find it elsewhere.
What exactly did Biden do to stop the flow of North American oil in January?
BTW No additional capex is required to recalibrate a refinery. 20 million barrels is about 3 days. That quantity could be made up by Abu Dhabi alone.
The capex has been spent so that American refineries can refine cheaper heavy sour crude. It doesn't cost extra to drive your Porsche 25 mph per hour but it is a huge waste to drive your Porsche 25 mph in a 75 mph zone.

20 million barrels from Russia in January 2021 is about 3 days, 18 million barrels from Russian in January 2020 is also about 3 days. Sure that 20 million could have come from any number of places, but it came from Russia, because that was the most profitable place for the refiners to source that 20 million barrels from.

Stick to pipelines old man.

The first 20 days of January or the last 11?

What exactly did Biden do to stop the flow of North American oil in January?

The capex has been spent so that American refineries can refine cheaper heavy sour crude. It doesn't cost extra to drive your Porsche 25 mph per hour but it is a huge waste to drive your Porsche 25 mph in a 75 mph zone.

20 million barrels from Russia in January 2021 is about 3 days, 18 million barrels from Russian in January 2020 is also about 3 days. Sure that 20 million could have come from any number of places, but it came from Russia, because that was the most profitable place for the refiners to source that 20 million barrels from.

Stick to pipelines old man.
Stick to your Econ 101 pup. You can't function without a lesson plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT