ADVERTISEMENT

Upland Game boot

panhndlpoke

Heisman Candidate
Sep 6, 2006
I'm needing a new pair of hunting boots for bird hunting. In the past decade my feet have gone downhill fast and I need some specific help to make a boot work for me.

1. I have terrible ankles. I could roll an ankle on a bb.
2. Plantar Fasciitis- I have had it and seem prone to it now
3. balls of my feet stay sore all the time. I could lose some weight, but for now, I'm looking at a shoe with something to counteract my bruised soles.
4. light- my current mountain hunting boots are 33 oz per foot (2 lb 1 oz per foot or 4 lbs 2 oz per pair). They're just too damn heavy to walk 15-20 miles a day in. And the sole is a little too hard.

I have ordered a pair of Hoka Kaha hiking boots 1) because they're light and 2) because they have an extra cushy sole. I have a pair of their running shoes and use them for walking for exercise as long as I'm not going off road. I'm afraid that the extremely tall soles will be ankle breakers in a hiking boot, though. I know I'll like the cushion of them, but they're also supposedly not real durable.

I've looked at a lot of boots but just can't find that upland boot for me. I've looked at Russell Moccasin, Danner, Irish Setter, etc. but I can't actually hold many of them. I have to order them and then try them on. It's a pain in the ass.

Anyone want to offer any suggestions?

The best pair of early season deer/upland boots I have ever had were a cheap pair of waterproof hiking boots from Colombia. The waterproofing has finally worn off, so I now have to replace them. Super lightweight and extremely comfortable. With that being said, a good friend of mine swears by Crispi boots.

The best pair of early season deer/upland boots I have ever had were a cheap pair of waterproof hiking boots from Colombia. The waterproofing has finally worn off, so I now have to replace them. Super lightweight and extremely comfortable. With that being said, a good friend of mine swears by Crispi boots.
I've looked at Crispi boots. They're hiking boots but I don't know about how cushioning the sole is. Or how light.

Ok, the Hoka Kaha boots came in. Very comfy and I don't think I will roll my ankle constantly with how wide the sole is. They absolutely won't hold up to heavy bird hunting. I'm going to keep them since they can be a solid pair of boots to use for work/light play. I can hike my dog for training etc. in them, but long days in the field would destroy them in short order.

My brother had an old pair of Russell Moccasins he got 30 years ago. He had a 10-10.5 narrow foot, but he ordered the boots with a sole that is way too hard. They've mostly sat around since his early 20's. If I could get a cushioned sole and insole on those, they'd be great. They're heavy but built amazing. They feel really nice except for the bottoms of my feed hurt.

I've looked at Crispi boots. They're hiking boots but I don't know about how cushioning the sole is. Or how light.
Crispi Thors are a great all around boot. I've used from ultra steep mountains while elk hunting, to quail/pheasant on flat ground. Feels like an athletic shoe a bit but with stability. Gore Tex as well.

I'm needing a new pair of hunting boots for bird hunting. In the past decade my feet have gone downhill fast and I need some specific help to make a boot work for me.

1. I have terrible ankles. I could roll an ankle on a bb.
2. Plantar Fasciitis- I have had it and seem prone to it now
3. balls of my feet stay sore all the time. I could lose some weight, but for now, I'm looking at a shoe with something to counteract my bruised soles.
4. light- my current mountain hunting boots are 33 oz per foot (2 lb 1 oz per foot or 4 lbs 2 oz per pair). They're just too damn heavy to walk 15-20 miles a day in. And the sole is a little too hard.

I have ordered a pair of Hoka Kaha hiking boots 1) because they're light and 2) because they have an extra cushy sole. I have a pair of their running shoes and use them for walking for exercise as long as I'm not going off road. I'm afraid that the extremely tall soles will be ankle breakers in a hiking boot, though. I know I'll like the cushion of them, but they're also supposedly not real durable.

I've looked at a lot of boots but just can't find that upland boot for me. I've looked at Russell Moccasin, Danner, Irish Setter, etc. but I can't actually hold many of them. I have to order them and then try them on. It's a pain in the ass.

Anyone want to offer any suggestions?
Man do i feel your pain!!! No pun intended. Never had a problem with my feet until about 2 years ago. Now both heels (especially the right heel) feel like I've been shot if I hit just wrong. Have planter fasciitis now in right foot. Been working on strengthening it for about 12 weeks now. Moderate success. Ball of both feet get really, really uncomfortable with any time on my feet. Got orthotics, marginal help. Been to podiatrist and had injections which provides temporary relief. But no long term answer at this point!:mad:

Reactions: panhndlpoke
Man do i feel your pain!!! No pun intended. Never had a problem with my feet until about 2 years ago. Now both heels (especially the right heel) feel like I've been shot if I hit just wrong. Have planter fasciitis now in right foot. Been working on strengthening it for about 12 weeks now. Moderate success. Ball of both feet get really, really uncomfortable with any time on my feet. Got orthotics, marginal help. Been to podiatrist and had injections which provides temporary relief. But no long term answer at this point!:mad:
What does Plantar Fasciitis feel like? Recently was wearing some worn out hey dudes and developed a pain behind toe on one foot. Now I get foot pain in that foot at night (restlessness and pain) and then in the morning the first few steps on the floor is painful in that foot.

What does Plantar Fasciitis feel like? Recently was wearing some worn out hey dudes and developed a pain behind toe on one foot. Now I get foot pain in that foot at night (restlessness and pain) and then in the morning the first few steps on the floor is painful in that foot.
@Dally1up What toe? Reason being is that the big toe is the most likely to be the one that indicates PF if it is PF. Could be arthritis and/or tendonitis instead.
PF runs at bottom of foot under muscles. I think (not a doc) it attaches at the front of the rear of your foot and to the ball of the foot. Your indication of pain when you first step on your foot in the morning is one of the signs.

@Dally1up What toe? Reason being is that the big toe is the most likely to be the one that indicates PF if it is PF. Could be arthritis and/or tendonitis instead.
PF runs at bottom of foot under muscles. I think (not a doc) it attaches at the front of the rear of your foot and to the ball of the foot. Your indication of pain when you first step on your foot in the morning is one of the signs.
Behind 2nd or 3rd (not big toe).

Mine is always in my arch and my ball. I got it about 3 years ago. I didn’t know what was wrong so I just kept running until someone told me what was wrong. It took 18 months to go away but it was in terrible shape.

I think that while I was hurting with PF, I compensated with the way I walked and it changed my gait to where I bruise the balls of my foot now. Orthotics sort of help but not a ton.

My go to boot is a Danner but That is mid-level I suppose. It would be great if a orthopod /pediatrist could tell you just what you needed in a boot for your condition. ie how stiff/flexible a sole, how high an arch, anything else that might have a bearing. I have a bit of trouble finding extra wide boots that are comfortable....use a 4E if I can find it, and I like a fairly flexible sole with good ankle support.

No offense as i have a pair of Danner Pronghorns but danner is low end.

No offense as i have a pair of Danner Pronghorns but danner is low end.
I'm old school cheap! Spending $500-1000 on boots isn't a typical thought I have. What do you like to wear Dally? A list of legit high end boot manufacturers? I like to try them on first, and don't have many places here to do that.

Last edited:
Panhandle, I have no experience with this brand, but it' interesting.... kenetrek orthodepic boot.....
Kenetrek are very nice. They're just not light and the tread will pick up a pound or two of mud for each foot making them very heavy. Also, the soles aren't cushioned like I think I want. They're made to go up and down mountains, not walk for miles and miles on pretty flat ground.

Kenetrecs are great. As mentioned earlier i wear crispi thor gtx. Great affordable boot.

Cabela's used to sell a fantastic kangaroo vibra sole boot. I had plantar fasciitis and wore them almost daily. Cabela's is not what it once was so so you would probably have to find them ebay or something. I could not find them on their web site.

Cabela's used to sell a fantastic kangaroo vibra sole boot. I had plantar fasciitis and wore them almost daily. Cabela's is not what it once was so so you would probably have to find them ebay or something. I could not find them on their web site.
I had those kangaroo boots and they were light, strong, and comfortable. Probably the best boot I ever had for quail hunting. (bought a second pair 2-3 yrs later) Easy to go all day. Mine were Brownings, but I believe they made the same exact boot for Cabelas. Browning back then made a decent quality boot in their top end selections. Must have been around 1980? Know nothing of what they produce today.

The most durable boot I ever owned I bought in college, circa 1976 and a large expense for me back then putting myself through college,, was Vasque climbing/hiking boots. The sole was stiff and that leather was heavy (thick- full grain) plus the leather lining. Could not wear those babies out. Had the vibram soles replaced twice. THAT was a good investment. That said, were not that comfortable for an all day trek, and weighed twice what those brownings weighed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT