ADVERTISEMENT

Tools, specifically wrenches and screwdrivers

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
yeah, most guys found DIY stuff these days want the nice impact driver or ratcheting wrench of some kind (not that ratchet wrenches are a new thing, Gearwrench just made them sexier I guess), but having a quality set of combo wrenches and screwdrivers is...well...GOOD TO HAVE.

Anyway, I'll tell you why I chose what I did...Wright tools. My stipulation was that they must be American made and of good quality, but I didn't want to spend Snap On type money. Yes, these aren't cheap when compared to all the Chinese sourced stuff now, but when you see them action and feel them in your hand, you know why you paid the premium.

Full set of metric wrenches (from 6mm to 24mm) is around $200 give or take. They might be cheaper in the regular rough finish, but I went with full polish since I like the look. They have a feature known as "Wright Grip" which is like the Snap On Flank Drive that digs into the bolt head or nut in those instances where you are torquing pretty hard. (I can almost hear the sophomoric comments being formed already...)

Anyway, most of these tool "companies" these days are nothing more than middle men for each other, slapping their name on one another items to keep costs down and whatnot. Or simply going the china route. Wright makes their own stuff, and it's probably the last privately owned tool company in the US that I could find, kinda like what Henry rifles is to the gun world.

They market more for the industrial side of things, they aren't as flashy as Snap On, just good honest American made tools that seems to be a dying breed.

I ended up with metric (19 wrenches total) and SAE combo wrenches (1/4"all the way to 1-1/4", 17 wrenches total). 10 piece screwdriver set, and two ratcheting wrench sets (a 5 piece SAE set and a 7 piece metric set). I am going to buy their pneumatic socket sets later, they seem to have a lot of great reviews on those.

Why did I go nuts and buy all these? I am going to be restoring an old Jeep in the future, last time I did this I had shit for tools and had to borrow quite a few to finish out the job. Not doing that again. Plus, I do a lot of my own mechanic work and some for friends/family/neighbors since I enjoy it. If you do more than just various DIY jobs, probably not a bad thing to look into Wright tools.

I would provide a link, but most of you monkeys are pretty good at Google and Amazon.

Wright, SK, and Armstrong are my non-truck go to choices for USA made tools.

Cornwell is also privately owned and USA based, and they make very nice stuff.

Harry J Epstein is where I snag most of my made in USA stuff. Great people to deal with.

SK X-Frame ratcheting wrenches are the nicest ratcheting wrenches I have ever used. Worth every penny.

https://www.harryepstein.com/

Snap on has a lot of good stuff, but I only buy it if I can get very good price on it.

Good stuff gipraw. I saw those S-K wrenches. Good looking bastards for sure.

My other thing is raiding my dads old barn. I have found some very nicely preserved old Snap On, Proto, and some of the “=V=“ marked Craftsman stuff from the early 70s. If you aren’t familiar with that craftsman reference, look up =V= marked Craftsman Tools, apparently that was some of the best they ever made. I can’t vouch for that personally, although for 40 year old tools the ones I found were in awesome shape and only needed a little cleaning.

My next big purchase is going to be a full set of impact sockets. I’m looking at Wright for those as well, simply because I have had good luck with the wrenches and screw drivers and want to have all my tools on display boards that match (I’m weird like that, have to have things that match...).

And if you like peg boards, check out Wall Control on Amazon. Made in the US. I bought some of these to go with my Wright tool boards so everything is on the wall and out of the way. I have one older Craftsman rolling toolbox and don’t want to buy another right now, plus I am not real into the big rolling toolboxes anyway. Biggest thing is they take up so much damn space that I can use for other crap. Plus, I like just reaching up onto the wall and grabbing a tool I need. Especially if I’m working on something on the bench.

I’m not much of wallboard guy. All of my stuff is in roller chests, and I have a service cart I roll around the shop that I load with whatever I need for that job, plus the basic stuff I keep in it all the time.

I have a lot of the old Craftsman V stuff. Mom and dad bought me my first set of tools that were all Craftsman V, and I still have them. I have a bit of a tool problem. Can’t ever have enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT