ADVERTISEMENT

Tokyo

OHkie

Redshirt
Oct 14, 2018
Gilman is wrestling for bronze, if he wins a medal he automatically gets the spot on the world team in a couple months. Would and could Daton move up to 61kg?

Taylor has looked amazing. Dake is Dake and I haven’t seen a heavy move like Gable probably never will. If not for a brain fart the last 5 secs vs the Russian, Gilman would be wrestling for gold.

Dake didn’t look right in his first match and was able to move on. That second match he just got steamrolled.

Dake didn’t look right in his first match and was able to move on. That second match he just got steamrolled.
Dake’s performance should be a warning to every wrestler cutting too much weight.

Reactions: turfpoke
Dake’s performance should be a warning to every wrestler cutting too much weight.
Saw Christian Pyles saying how there were no signs in Dake’s first match that something was wrong. No energy, no shots, mouth wide open sucking wind. Dake was gassed 90 seconds into that match. I need to go ahead and cancel Flo. Their wrestling coverage has really plummeted without Willie.

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
There is much to admire about Dake but watching his loss while John Smith is commenting demonstrates the difference between an elite wrestler and the GOAT. When Dake misses on the low single, JS immediately “says take the push out”. Dake’s split second reaction is to square up to the body lock which gave up what was his far leg. He went to his back and then continued to lose the scramble. That was a 7 point swing and he never recovered.

What an entertaining night of Wrestling!

The commentating was great! I will say, John Smith lost his first Olympics to Burroughs. While I enjoyed them both, I though Burroughs was better and deserves a job commentating every big time event that USA Wrestling can give him.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
I can’t imagine the strength it takes to gut wrench Gable Steveson over twice. David Taylor and Gable Stevenson both found a way to get the TD when they needed it.

Reactions: tom_v31
What an entertaining night of Wrestling!

The commentating was great! I will say, John Smith lost his first Olympics to Burroughs. While I enjoyed them both, I though Burroughs was better and deserves a job commentating every big time event that USA Wrestling can give him.
They should have put a camera on John while he was announcing. I’m sure he was squirming around.

the stupid dvr opens with gable and a gold in his mouth totally ruined it

i’m watching the gable match thinking it was a mistake no way he wins

Holy crap way to go Gable!!!

Snyder shoots in on Sadulaev and gets dumped to his back. Then comes right back and does the same for the same result.

Snyder shoots in on Sadulaev and gets dumped to his back. Then comes right back and does the same for the same result.
At least he shot- while he would have been better with different shot, but was not going to win waiypting for the Russian to shoot or make a mistake. If anything, the us wrestlers went for it at the end and Steveson and Taylor came out as winners.

At least he shot- while he would have been better with different shot, but was not going to win waiypting for the Russian to shoot or make a mistake. If anything, the us wrestlers went for it at the end and Steveson and Taylor came out as winners.
I agree. Sadilaev is a generational wrestler and, unfortunately, so is Snyder, who happens to be at the same weight. Probably, those moves work 99% of the time. It was a great olympics

Steveson and Taylor pulled off some nice comebacks. Taylor caught his opponent flat footed, worked just like practice. Steveson, I really don’t know what to say other than he just wasn’t going to stop. They said gold received $250,000. What does silver get?

I found the wrestling payouts.
Gold- $250,000
Silver-$50,000
Bronze-$25,000

Same could be said about Dake. I pull for all US wrestlers but the games he played against Ringer still pisses me off
Every time one of our wrestlers gets beat, it pisses me off, however Dake is frankly the better wrestler and he won it with better skill IMO. I don't like it but to me Dake was the best wrestler on the U.S. team but obviously did not cut weight right.

You could me right Mrgrapple. I guess we will have to see that in another Olympics or World championship. Dake however, played no games when he wrestled Alex. He had the only two point move and Alex although in deep twice could not finish due to Dake's defense. Alex is a great wrestler but in at least three matches he has not defeated Dake.

I think the games referred to Dake requesting the wrestle off delay at the last possible moment, after Alex had already started his weight cut. Then the Cornell lawyers successfully delayed the Final X match even further. Nothing illegal, but certainly some gamesmanship.

John is the American GOAT and on the short list of greatest ever. But where does Gable Steveson stand now?

He has won Cadet, Junior and Senior gold on top of his NCAA title. His only 2 college losses came as a chubby, out of shape, 18 year old. Since then he's been unstoppable, knocking off some of the biggest names in the sport. Sanderson may be the best college wrestler, but I think a case could be made that Yojiro Uetake or Gable is the best ever while in college.

Gable was just a two time champion. does not belong in the same conversation with Uetake or Sanderson for collegiate great.
Greatest US wrestler as of today would be.
1. Smith, then maybe Baumgartner or Burroughs, but Stevenson is climbing the ladder, but will have to do it for five years to be considered in that stratosphere.

Gable was just a two time champion. does not belong in the same conversation with Uetake or Sanderson for collegiate great.
Greatest US wrestler as of today would be.
1. Smith, then maybe Baumgartner or Burroughs, but Stevenson is climbing the ladder, but will have to do it for five years to be considered in that stratosphere.

First, Gable is only a 1x champ, not a 2xer. He was the heavy favorite in 2020, but Nationals was cancelled. Second, I'm not talking about college creditials alone. Otherwise Logan Stieber has a better resume right now.

But Stieber had already turned 21 when he robbed JO for his first title. Gable wrestled his entire true freshman year at 18. He took 2 losses, both to Cassar. Since then he's been unstoppable in folkstyle & freestyle. Sanderson also took a loss his true freshman year and he did not win any senior gold medals while in college. Gable beat 2 of the greatest heavyweights ever during this Olympic run - Petriashivili and Akgul.

Gable has the talent to be in the conversation. But one NCAA title and one Olympic/World gold medal puts him behind quite a few. If he continues in college and doesn’t go WWE, he won’t lose again in NCAAs. World level, if he wins the next 2 worlds and the next Olympics he is up there with the GOAT.

Reactions: tom_v31
First, Gable is only a 1x champ, not a 2xer. He was the heavy favorite in 2020, but Nationals was cancelled. Second, I'm not talking about college creditials alone. Otherwise Logan Stieber has a better resume right now.

But Stieber had already turned 21 when he robbed JO for his first title. Gable wrestled his entire true freshman year at 18. He took 2 losses, both to Cassar. Since then he's been unstoppable in folkstyle & freestyle. Sanderson also took a loss his true freshman year and he did not win any senior gold medals while in college. Gable beat 2 of the greatest heavyweights ever during this Olympic run - Petriashivili and Akgul.
I still consider JO and Steiber both 3Xers. I don’t care which set of rules you are looking at that was a TD at the end by JO. That match and the Stalemate call when Fix had Soriano flat on his belly in OT are a couple of screw jobs right up there with the best. I know that bad calls happen and mistakes happen, but those were horrible. Like go back to refereeing peewee tournaments on Saturdays horrible.

I still consider JO and Steiber both 3Xers. I don’t care which set of rules you are looking at that was a TD at the end by JO. That match and the Stalemate call when Fix had Soriano flat on his belly in OT are a couple of screw jobs right up there with the best. I know that bad calls happen and mistakes happen, but those were horrible. Like go back to refereeing peewee tournaments on Saturdays horrible.
I read something interesting on the OU board about that Fix/Suriano match. A guy posted that he spoke with someone related to Daton (could've been his cousin who wrestled for OU). Said Daton was not upset about the stalemate call because his right boot had slipped out, and by rule they can then call a stalemate.

Also posted that Daton said Suriano definitely grabbed the headgear though. The ref told him that the camera angle was on the wrong side for the review, so he couldn't call the headgear pull.

Every time one of our wrestlers gets beat, it pisses me off, however Dake is frankly the better wrestler and he won it with better skill IMO. I don't like it but to me Dake was the best wrestler on the U.S. team but obviously did not cut weight right.
I think he was concerned about Ringer. Every time they faced off, the score got closer. He’s been cutting weight for his entire life, you’d think by now he would know how to do it properly. Specially, since he is getting younger every day😉

Reactions: oberebo
I think the games referred to Dake requesting the wrestle off delay at the last possible moment, after Alex had already started his weight cut. Then the Cornell lawyers successfully delayed the Final X match even further. Nothing illegal, but certainly some gamesmanship.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about

Reactions: oberebo
John is the American GOAT and on the short list of greatest ever. But where does Gable Steveson stand now?

He has won Cadet, Junior and Senior gold on top of his NCAA title. His only 2 college losses came as a chubby, out of shape, 18 year old. Since then he's been unstoppable, knocking off some of the biggest names in the sport. Sanderson may be the best college wrestler, but I think a case could be made that Yojiro Uetake or Gable is the best ever while in college.
He could have the best upside, but cadet and juniors don’t make a GOAT. If he sticks/stuck around for a mess of years, I could imagine he would be in the conversation. Dudes a beast!

Gable has the talent to be in the conversation. But one NCAA title and one Olympic/World gold medal puts him behind quite a few. If he continues in college and doesn’t go WWE, he won’t lose again in NCAAs. World level, if he wins the next 2 worlds and the next Olympics he is up there with the GOAT.
Agree

I read something interesting on the OU board about that Fix/Suriano match. A guy posted that he spoke with someone related to Daton (could've been his cousin who wrestled for OU). Said Daton was not upset about the stalemate call because his right boot had slipped out, and by rule they can then call a stalemate.

Also posted that Daton said Suriano definitely grabbed the headgear though. The ref told him that the camera angle was on the wrong side for the review, so he couldn't call the headgear pull.
Interesting 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT