ADVERTISEMENT

This is a really interesting article by a Harvard prof.

Let's explore that a bit.... Is it your opinion that historically civil service exams are without bias?

Oh yea leftists think any test minorities perform poorly on is proof of bias. SMFH they just can't help themselves and continue to prove their bigotry with their mentality about minorities.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Let's explore that a bit.... Is it your opinion that historically civil service exams are without bias?
So here's the thing. If I don't know answers to the test, who's responsibility is it to go find the answers? You say that this race or that race isn't exposed to some things that other races might have common knowledge of. I say it you want to live in this society it's your responsibility to gain that knowledge. It's not my responsibility to build a test around what you know or don't know. It's to test you to see if you know what you need to know to have a chance to be successful in the job you've applied for.

So here's the thing. If I don't know answers to the test, who's responsibility is it to go find the answers? You say that this race or that race isn't exposed to some things that other races might have common knowledge of. I say it you want to live in this society it's your responsibility to gain that knowledge. It's not my responsibility to build a test around what you know or don't know. It's to test you to see if you know what you need to know to have a chance to be successful in the job you've applied for.
Spoken like the racist white supremacist @davidallen thinks you are.

I just took a sample civil service test. Questions were not as easy as I thought they’d be. Didn’t give them my email, so I didn’t get the results, but I don’t see how the test is biased in favor or against any particular race. It is however biased in favor of:

1. People who can do basic arithmetic and low level algebra.

2. People with a high school level vocabulary.

3. People with a high school command of the English language.

4. People with analytical reasoning skills sufficient to solve puzzles from an elementary school weekly reader.

I just took a sample civil service test. Questions were not as easy as I thought they’d be. Didn’t give them my email, so I didn’t get the results, but I don’t see how the test is biased in favor or against any particular race. It is however biased in favor of:

4. People with analytical reasoning skills sufficient to solve puzzles from an elementary school weekly reader.
Far be it for me to speak for @davidallen, but I think he would argue (and it would be legitimate IMO) that the average caucasian in America would come from a neighborhood, cultural and educational experience that more closely resembles that which is expected of success in such a test. I think that is a legitimate concern, but diluting the rigor of the test questions seems to me to be the wrong solution. The test exists to find those who are qualified to do the job.

Far be it for me to speak for @davidallen, but I think he would argue (and it would be legitimate IMO) that the average caucasian in America would come from a neighborhood, cultural and educational experience that more closely resembles that which is expected of success in such a test. I think that is a legitimate concern, but diluting the rigor of the test questions seems to me to be the wrong solution. The test exists to find those who are qualified to do the job.
And whose fault is that?

Whose problem is that Dan? Is it Caucasian peoples problem they have a neighborhoods, culture and educational experience that tends to create success or is it minority communities that don’t do the same?

Let’s say I were dropped off into the wilderness and had no skills to thrive in that environment. Would I do everything possible to developer the skills need to thrive or would I stubbornly refuse and demand others make my life for me? No doubt I would develop the skills needed to thrive just like i would in most any environment I found myself in.

carry on
Sorry munch-bunch, but that article doesn’t explain how the tests are racially biased. Not even remotely. Please explain how requesting the next number in a series of numbers is racially biased. Please explain how placing birds on a wire in order based upon which is or isn’t next to which is racially biased. Please explain how providing a 3-paragraph passage and then asking the test-taker to identify the main point of that passage is racially biased. You have taken the SAT/ACT at some point, haven’t you? Because those are the types of questions asked.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Whose problem is that Dan? Is it Caucasian peoples problem they have a neighborhoods, culture and educational experience that tends to create success or is it minority communities that don’t do the same?
I’m not attempting to assign fault or blame, just stating what should be recognized as the obvious. A Latino baby born in a neighborhood in which Spanish is the predominate language and in which educational opportunities are comparatively diminished, for example, does not ask to face the circumstances he faces. But as I said the test requirements should not be diluted, it would be unfair to everyone concerned.

I’m not attempting to assign fault or blame, just stating what should be recognized as the obvious. A Latino baby born in a neighborhood in which Spanish is the predominate language and in which educational opportunities are comparatively diminished, for example, does not ask to face the circumstances he faces. But as I said the test requirements should not be diluted, it would be unfair to everyone concerned.
It his families and eventually his responsibility to overcome those issues. I'm likely not as intelligent as you are but, I have to overcome that if I want to be successful. In addition, a family comes to the US without the ability to speak the language maybe should have thought of that before they came. They made that choice, its not our responsibility to grade on a curve.

It his families and eventually his responsibility to overcome those issues. I'm likely not as intelligent as you are but, I have to overcome that if I want to be successful. In addition, a family comes to the US without the ability to speak the language maybe should have thought of that before they came. They made that choice, its not our responsibility to grade on a curve.
I’m basically agreeing with you, if it’s not coming off that way. A job has specific requirements and tests are devised to see who best qualifies, and they should not be diluted in a mistaken concept of fairness. But that does not alter the reality that some test takers have advantages over others. It is up to the disadvantaged test taker to decide how badly he wants the job and how much effort he is willing to exert to overcome his disadvantage.

I’m basically agreeing with you, if it’s not coming off that way. A job has specific requirements and tests are devised to see who best qualifies, and they should not be diluted in a mistaken concept of fairness. But that does not alter the reality that some test takers have advantages over others. It is up to the disadvantaged test taker to decide how badly he wants the job and how much effort he is willing to exert to overcome his disadvantage.
That's true with absolutely everyone. Regardless of color or background. As I said earlier, you are likely more intelligent than I. It's my job to overcome it. Based on their lack of success, lower socio-economic people deciding to do drugs, kill each other, sell drugs, drop out of school, put no effort in school and their family not making it a priority you would think they'd see the issue???
Oh, I forget, its the legal system bias...🙄

That's true with absolutely everyone. Regardless of color or background. As I said earlier, you are likely more intelligent than I. It's my job to overcome it. Based on their lack of success, lower socio-economic people deciding to do drugs, kill each other, sell drugs, drop out of school, put no effort in school and their family not making it a priority you would think they'd see the issue???
Shit britches fan base? 😁

Yes, yes, I’m agreeing with you. All I’m saying is there are people from neighborhoods, cultures and educational backgrounds different from ours that do not do drugs, kill others, drop out of school, etc., who want very much to live on the straight and narrow, but have hinderances in their way at every turn. It is okay to recognize that and seek remedies that do not put thumbs on their side of the scales in things like determining job requirements.

Yes, yes, I’m agreeing with you. All I’m saying is there are people from neighborhoods, cultures and educational backgrounds different from ours that do not do drugs, kill others, drop out of school, etc., who want very much to live on the straight and narrow, but have hinderances in their way at every turn. It is okay to recognize that and seek remedies that do not put thumbs on their side of the scales in things like determining job requirements.
So did you. So did I. A test is a test. If you don't know the answers, learn the answers. If you can't or won't you will have issues.

Is this a biased question?

Runner is to marathon as:
  1. envoy is to embassy;
  2. martyr is to massacre;
  3. oarsman is to regatta;
  4. referee is to tournament;
  5. horse is to stable.

You care to share the test?

See that's where we differ. I'm color blind. Its just common sense to me. It's the same standard for everyone. Learn or fail. All your doing is providing a crutch. Just like the opinion said.
Blind I buy. Color blind? Nah that's just you denying who you are.

Humans are incapable of being entirely unbiased. The willingness to recognize your own biases, our own tribal instincts, is an important first step to minimizing the negative impact of your bias on others.

You know that in your heart of hearts I suspect.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12

Humans are incapable of being entirely unbiased. The willingness to recognize your own biases, our own tribal instincts, is an important first step to minimizing the negative impact of your bias on others.

Well ain't you just a modern day Stephen hawking? 😂

Does this include your bigotry of low expectations for minorities?

Why don't you be really brave and admit where you fall short, then we'll all examine our conscience.

Your failure here is to acknowledge the inadequacy of the test in many cases. No one ITT is suggesting you grade on a curve. The suggestion is to minimize cultural bias in favor of optimizing on measuring relevant skills.

As the author says "The solution isn’t to look away from discrimination. It does exist."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT