ADVERTISEMENT

This board is bored...

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
I'm putting trailcams out this weekend, though I'm a little late. Lots of doves..... just not on my place.
Looks like a very good prognosis for the season...
Anyone got an OSU fan based dove hunt planned?

One more observation: Ticks suck.

We have a lot of dove this year. I hope I can get a night to go out this weekend before the baby comes, otherwise I probably won't get out to shoot

I'm hearing a lot of shooting from the house, but haven't gotten down to the ponds yet. We have so much thick tall grass, etc. that they will be hard to find when hit, and I didn't get down there yet to bushhog the area around the ponds. Hopefully tomorrow.

I hope to take the grandson this weekend and will hope there are some dove still around. I'm at that age where it's far more fun to see him shoot some birds than for me to do so. Ours isn't a stellar place but there are a few times when the dove really hit it.
One year, the first two weeks of the season were very slow.... gave up interest. Then the first weekend in October we were covered up with migrating doves and had a great hunt to two days. Then they were gone again it seemed.

I will be officially in my new house on Monday (but we have been "hangin out" a bit there some lol"), once I get all unpacked my first order of business is to pick a 5 acre section behind one of the hills and make a range. Bringing in some loads of dirt for the sides.

On the back of the property is a very nicely wooded hill overlooking a 3 acre pond. Gonna set up a camera in that area and see what I see. My neighbor had been hunting the land I'm buying and he had a tree stand in the same area I'm plotting to put one. Ive actually got some nice treed areas closer to my house, could probably lay across the roof and get a deer this season lol. Nahhh....

I am now!!!

Haven't been on the board lately, have moving, brush hogging, setting up the man cave/office, trying to find someone who can move my gun safe (movers tried, then said NOPE), and still trying to the the last little bit of knick knacks and booshit out of the old house.

I must say....it's been 25 years, since I left my parents place in 1992...that I can finally say "I'm home". We haven't even put window treatments on the master bedroom since it's upstairs and since waking up in the mornings is usually greeted with a few deer running through the front yard and whatnot. It's magical out here....I know I will never leave this place.

The safe is actually my dads safe, and it was installed back in the late 90s out at their house. I was in school then so I didn't see it installed.

It was the biggest safe that Liberty made back then, a Lincoln series. The movers said it was the biggest gun safe they had ever seen. It is a monster. About 800 pounds give or take. And it's back is up against a wall and it's sitting on studs from the floor. So it can't be tipped back, it has to be lifted strait up to get it off the studs.

I'm calling SCI in Catoosa tomorrow to see if they have any ideas.

1. You said "window treatments". You should be ashamed of yourself

2. If the door of your safe is removeable, try removing it. Make sure to keep it upright since some doors sort of lock up in the event a theif lays the safe down. Liberty can can probably tell you if that's the case before you remove it. The door will likely weigh more than the rest of the safe. Makes it a lot more manageable.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
Someone should have a portable floor pallet jack that would raise it up and move it... will it fit through your doors, or do you donate it to the next owners?

Just a thought however..... it might be cheaper to replace it than to move it though it sounds like a nice piece. A 64 gun fatboy should run around $2100. Many of the old safes where not fire resistant like the new ones tend to be.

Last edited:
Window treatments was my wife's term. I didn't know what to call them expect "shit hanging next to the winders..."

The safe is at my parents house. It was my dads, so there won't be any donating lol. I will call SCI in Catoosa and just see who they can get to move it. It's going from garage to garage, so it won't be a big deal. And before anyone says it, no, it wont be "unsafe" in the garage, I never leave my house really, work from home, and if anyone gets near that safe without my permission or is not related to me they will have X's for eyes before they can even twist the dial....

Come to think of it, most people who come that far down my driveway (it's over a thousand feet long with a sharp turn right 3/4 of the way) will probably end up wearing a red dot.....heehee...did I mention I hate unexpected guests?

I know what you mean! There are always a few strangers who will venture in that far knowing it's private property, and they usually have me on alert too. We have some "Travelers" who come through once or twice a year, selling this or service that, but not at all to be trusted (professional cons and thieves and most drive very new/nice trucks, though remove or obscure license plates). They show up, I usually recognize them before they ever get close enough to say hello, and I send them away without one. I'm not the paranoid type but when the red flag does show up, I listen.

Reactions: Rulz
Amen, TCP. When you live outside city limits and your home isn't visible to the road, that's a double edged sword really. My aunt and uncle live outside the city limits like I do their home is also shrouded in trees and hills. They just recently had a break in while they were away and the shit asses stole their car, some guns, jewelry and other items and would have made off with more if they weren't thwarted by the gun safe and a heavy door to another area.

So I don't take any chances at all, it's not meant to be "threatening" just trying to be safe.

[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/OSUJACK/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/BF468FED-B5E3-42FF-9B6B-32A350BD09F0.jpg.html][/URL]
BF468FED-B5E3-42FF-9B6B-32A350BD09F0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's a pic of some of the back 20 acres on a foggy morning...

Reactions: panhndlpoke

A few more pics. It was a beautiful Sunday morning with the fog. You can see the other hill on my property in the left hand side of one of the pics, pond as well. Love this place...I will NEVER leave lol. This is the culmination of many years of work...I

The "man cave/office"...it's a work in progress and I'm waiting for the safe to be delivered so there's stuff EVERYWHERE. I did manage to set up my "mini gun museum" as you can see with the old wood and glass case. Going to add more to that later. And finally...

A pic of the front of the house. Looks bigger than what it really is, the garage on the right side makes it look larger from side to side. It's really just a little country home in the woods. It has certain aspects of it that make it appear larger, like this room...

This is the laundry room/entrance off the garage. My wife is very small, but she seems to need a ton of space to wash clothes so, luckily or unlucky...she now has a place to throw shit everywhere while she tries to match socks...

[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/OSUJACK/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/4C021FEB-03CE-4434-AB2E-A57F6F5052C2.jpg.html][/URL]

And since everybody asks, yup, there's deer out here lol. This little runt was on my path to the back one morning, just standing there until the doggie showed up and scared the little one off with a snort.

Well, there's a small "virtual tour"...when I get the man cave up and running properly I'll post some pics of what I come up with. Planning on adding a train to run around the room at the top of the walls in tribute to my dads 46 years of service on the railroad, and the main man in creating who I am today. Without my parents help and guidance over the years I might have turned out quite differently...

Guess the deer pic didn't make it...I'll try again...

Weird. Shows up in the preview for me. Oh well.

I actually have an older Kawasaki Mule. I also have a 1953 Jeep CJ3A.

[URL=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/OSUJACK/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-11/9EE5661B-5804-478C-9ABF-1EBFB83398C9.jpg.html][/URL]

I wish I still had my little 3 wheeler collection. The two Big Reds would have been fun out here.

Honestly, I had always planned on getting a place like this, so I had bought stuff over the years that I figured I would need one day. Wasn't sure when it was going to happen and we looked at houses over a period of 5 years, but I knew I would one day pull the trigger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT