ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking about an over and under for skeet and trap.

Headhunter

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Stillwater, OK
I've always just used my Remington 1100 which I've had for longer than most people have been alive and done well with it but I'm feeling like I'd like to have an over and under.

Thinking 12 gage Browning 28 or 30 inches but I also looked at a less expensive Mossberg. If I could find a really good shooter that is in the 1000 to 1500 range that would be nice.

Any recommendations? I'm not opposed to used if it is in good to excellent condition.

I'm partial to browning, but there are a number of really nice guns out there. For me, more than brand, is how the gun feels and FITs. Fit is #1.
I'd recommend you go to a big gun store, if you can, and shoulder as many as you can. Not too many O/U for under 1500, but you might find a jewel that has little use on it.
I think keeping your options open for a excellent used gun is great.

For around 1700 on sale you can get a Browning CX Crossover that is sure worth a look. Should be something you hand down to your kids.

Browning, Beretta, Ruger Red Label, Mossberg Silver Reserve, Frenchi, maybe Stoger too, plus some other less known or off brand guns (imported) that are still of fair to good quality. All deserve a look.

I have been impressed with the Ruger Red Label guns. Might have to catch one on GunBroker one of these days.

First, I think Panhandle should chime in, as I trust his opinions esp. around shotguns like you are looking for.

and when I was at Cabelas Fort Worth they had a lightly used (no marks) Citori in 28 gauge that was a beauty for 1800 I think.. I lusted after it, but that was all. It was a grade or two higher than field grade.... very nice.

Last edited:
First, I think Panhandle should chime in, as I trust his opinions esp. around shotguns like you are looking for.

and when I was at Cabelas Fort Worth they had a lightly used (no marks) Citori in 28 gauge that was a beauty for 1800 I think.. I lusted after it, but that was all. It was a grade or two higher that field.

For some reason, the 28 inch barrel doesnt feel very comfortable for me with Dove hunting.

Reactions: Fatty J
Growing up a quail hunter, where quickness is the game, I've always preferred a 26 inch barrel (including for Dove). I've used a 28 on pheasant and doves to good end, still the balance of the 26 inch barrel is what I prefer. I have a 30 inch barrel for a wingmaster 870 (bought it for turkey/geese) but never use it. Apparently there must be a lot of demand for the 28 inch tubes as that is what you see the most of when looking online or in stores. (I think that is also what is mass produced the most) I know a lot of skeet/trap guys use a 30 inch barrel. I'll definitely defer to skeet/trap guys on what works for them.

Last edited:
Honestly, I only shoot o/u shotguns hunting. If I were to get real serious about shooting trap or sporting clays, I would have to think very hard about buying one of these newer recoil mitigating auto's. They would help with 2nd target acquisition on the set ups with 2 birds. I do think those shotguns are pricey, though. Maybe $2000+ I think. I don't trade shotguns much so am not sure. Also, if you really want to get good with a shotgun, you have to have it fit to you. Stocks will have to be modified to fit you. All of my shotguns have been trimmed on LOP because of my awesome TRex arms.

That isn't to say you can't learn to shoot any shotgun well. The main ingredient to successful skeet shooting is pulling the trigger. Thousands. Of. Times.

Technique is important but shooting is a perishable skill. If you don't practice, you suck. At my peak, I would limit out, 15, on dove on less than a box of shells. Pheasants was 5 shells and 3 birds. Now I don't hit 1 in 10 shots because I only shoot 20 rounds a year with drought and babies.

All that being said, I love o/u shotguns and think any of the name brand firearms with solid warranties are going to be plenty high quality. I have 3 Citori's and a Weatherby. Weatherby is fancier and I shoot it worse than my brownings. I really loved a beretta onyx I had years ago but traded it for a shotgun to give my brother.

Buy what you can afford, new or used, with available extra barrel sets that you might want and take it to an expert to have it fit to you. When you get it back after maybe $150 worth of mods, it will shoot so much better you won't believe it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT